Anyone know anything about the 90s Randall Pro Tubes?

Matt300ZXT

There's a local guy that has a 92 Randall Pro-Tube 1000R rack mount head for sale. I've only really ever read much about their solid state stuff and never seen much about their tube stuff. I don't really need another amp, but well...I'm a gear whore. It seems to be a good price for something that's rack mountable and vintage so I'm checking it out.

I can't really find much info on it other than seeing some head versions for sale and a couple sound clips. Just thought I'd see if any of you guys knew about them or had one in the past or something.

I saw one of these in the 90's I believe they were still made in California at the time when Randall was still USA and quality built. USA Randall's were very well made. I think these have a little more gain than a JCM800 Marshall. Looks like a two channel amp, clean and overdrive, I would say go play it if the price is right it's worth it. Jerry Cantrell with AIC used one of these live very early on around 89-90, you see it in some old videos and it sounds great. I found you a clip.

I went ahead and picked it up yesterday evening and did the obligatory gut shots and all that. Hooked it up today to my Budda cab since its the only 8 ohm cab I have. It has a pretty good clean channel imo, and the crunch, to me, is a more medium gain crunch. Kinda like a stock jcm800 or 900 gain level. Its pretty easy to roll off the volume on the guitar and clean it up. Definitely not a real high gainer, but fun to jam on. I think it could still use some new tubes though.

What did you end up paying for it? Looks like around $400-500 these days which for a quality made channel switcher is pretty good considering a JCM80 is around 1K-1.5K. I imagine that guy is boosting it with a TS808 or somethingin the video.

Anyways congrats, I really want an RG100ES but I am afraid of the old S/S FETS in them failing. I had a RGHT100 Rack mount head a few years ago but it seemed to have issues. I think the new RG300H's sound pretty good for the money, but alas I have too many tube amps that I don't play enough as it is... :rock:

I had an RGT100 for a while. Great sounding amp, and loud as hell. The only real downfall is that they have a weird 6 pin plug for the footswitch, and if the footswitch is missing, they are not easy to find.

Back