Line 6 Helix - Mick Mars "Live Wire" tone attempt

JerEvil

So I am starting a new thing on the channel. Tones "inspired" by some of my favorite rock/metal songs. Starting with Live Wire.

This is fairly rough and dialed it in on headphones... because MRS. EVIL is sleeping! LOL! I think it definitely captures the spirit of the tone if not 100% dead-on-balls accurate. Just learned the song. day ago so playing is dodgy.

https://soundcloud.com/jerevil/jerevil- ... -tffl-test

The plan is to show how I dialed the tone in and then show in a full mix clip.

Others on my list are: Slayer, Testament, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Obituary, Volbeat, Primal Fear

marshallmel":1eays0be said:
I thoroughly enjoyed that.
Cool! I am removing some of the high cut on the guitars to give them a touch more bite. I’ll be doing the full vid this weekend.

PRS":1eays0be said:
Cool Jer! Will you take requests as well?
Yeah I’m open to requests. They just have to be things I can sing unless I can get some guest vocals! Lol!

Racerxrated":1eays0be said:
Pretty damn close that's for sure...great job!
Thanks! I’ve always loved the tones on this song in particular. Huge thanks to Brian aka Atrox for helping me figure out the detune. There’s this “amps in a can” feel to Micks tone on this album. Looked up what he used and it’s an Eventide 910. Since that’s not in the Helix I needed a better solution than a flanger.

BYTOR":1eays0be said:
cool...do 'Too Young To Fall In Love' as well
I might be able to accommodate this request...

I feel it’s worth mentioning. These are STOCK Helix cabs. I know people love IR’s but I will be giving these patches out and I honestly think the Helix cabs sound really good.

That was great! One of my favorite Crue songs of all time! I think a tad more "sizzle" on the high end and it will be perfect! :rawk:

fender126":1nfldc2f said:
That was great! One of my favorite Crue songs of all time! I think a tad more "sizzle" on the high end and it will be perfect! :rawk:
Awesome man! I'll post the vid for sure this weekend.

Got my "backing band" to sing the "I'm Alive" parts. They consist of my wife and kids! LOL! I think I will be able to do a good Vince approximation, high note included...

JerEvil":36ri4x9p said:
fender126":36ri4x9p said:

Got my "backing band" to sing the "I'm Alive" parts. They consist of my wife and kids! LOL! I think I will be able to do a good Vince approximation, high note included...
Given your talents I have no doubt! :worship: I love the old Crue classics! When I was in my old cover band back in NY those songs always went over well. On a side note....all this is not helping my Helix gas! :LOL: :LOL:

fender126":2qfmtr7h said:
JerEvil":2qfmtr7h said:
fender126":2qfmtr7h said:

Given your talents I have no doubt! :worship: I love the old Crue classics! When I was in my old cover band back in NY those songs always went over well. On a side note....all this is not helping my Helix gas! :LOL: :LOL:
Oh man, this album, Shout at the Devil, Stay Hungry... that was my stuff growing up! I will add to the list of tones I am going to attempt to recreate. I am mostly doing it for fun but also, there is a bit of a good classic Hard Rock/Heavy Metal hole in the demo arena for Helix.

As far as Helix GAS, I am still impressed on the reg's with this thing. It is so amazingly simple to program and get good sounds. I will be making these patches available for free download for sure. I will probably recreate them for the HX Edit and Native as well since they have so many formats now.

JerEvil":2y22tgum said:
I think it definitely captures the spirit of the tone if not 100% dead-on-balls accurate. Just learned the song. day ago so playing is dodgy.

Well... :scared:

Listen them back to back and one of the things that stands out, is the original sounds more 'gurgly' and raw. Like there's a ring modulator involved or a specific flanger with the Rate and Depth set to minimum. That would probably also work with certain chorusses.
Also the top-end is a bit more open-sounding than yours.

I know, I'm nitpicking and listening with a great set of cans (Beyer DT990 Pro's).
You're getting there though; hopefully you'll take these minor criticisms constructively... :thumbsup: it's one of my favourite MC songs...I was the single one headbanging my ass off in the movie theatre 18 years ago when LL Cool J/Drew Barrymore did the skydive in Charlie's Angels. :LOL: :LOL:
Then the flashback scene with Drew Barrymore, playing "Looks that Kill", again... :rock:

JerEvil":2y22tgum said:
Primal Fear
Can't wait to hear that! :thumbsup: Chainbreaker and Dollars are some of my go-to riffs once I've dialed in the Savage 60 nicely. :rock:

That’s a nice tone but doesn’t sound that close to me. The original sounds like a loud Marshall. Nice rawness.

Speeddemon":1dixviu1 said:
JerEvil":1dixviu1 said:
I think it definitely captures the spirit of the tone (even) if (it's) not 100% dead-on-balls accurate. Just learned the song. day ago so playing is dodgy.

Well... :scared:

Listen them back to back and one of the things that stands out, is the original sounds more 'gurgly' and raw. Like there's a ring modulator involved or a specific flanger with the Rate and Depth set to minimum. That would probably also work with certain chorusses.
Also the top-end is a bit more open-sounding than yours.

I know, I'm nitpicking and listening with a great set of cans (Beyer DT990 Pro's).
You're getting there though; hopefully you'll take these minor criticisms constructively... :thumbsup: it's one of my favourite MC songs...I was the single one headbanging my ass off in the movie theatre 18 years ago when LL Cool J/Drew Barrymore did the skydive in Charlie's Angels. :LOL: :LOL:
Then the flashback scene with Drew Barrymore, playing "Looks that Kill", again... :rock:

JerEvil":1dixviu1 said:
Primal Fear
Can't wait to hear that! :thumbsup: Chainbreaker and Dollars are some of my go-to riffs once I've dialed in the Savage 60 nicely. :rock:
I did a little clarification above! I know it's not 100% for sure and I love feedback. No worries there. For Primal Fear I am doing Suicide & Mania. Got the drums almost completely finished.

Tone Monster":1dixviu1 said:
That’s a nice tone but doesn’t sound that close to me. The original sounds like a loud Marshall. Nice rawness.
Yeah there's definitely work to be done but I am pretty happy with it thus far. I did end up using a Soldano SLO on it. I'll definitely fiddle with it more before committing to recording for the vid. It's really going to be a "Dialing in tones inspired by..." series.

You gotta see if you can get rid of the congestion in the high mids and highs, and make it rawer and more open and more brash, without saturation. Then, add some little ringmod or analog flanger set to minimum (something like an Ibanez SF10 would do this great) and you'll be closer.

Speeddemon":12tkpyxb said:
You gotta see if you can get rid of the congestion in the high mids and highs, and make it rawer and more open and more brash, without saturation. Then, add some little ringmod or analog flanger set to minimum (something like an Ibanez SF10 would do this great) and you'll be closer.

:thumbsup:

JerEvil":imskfi0m said:
fender126":imskfi0m said:
JerEvil":imskfi0m said:
fender126":imskfi0m said:

Oh man, this album, Shout at the Devil, Stay Hungry... that was my stuff growing up! I will add to the list of tones I am going to attempt to recreate. I am mostly doing it for fun but also, there is a bit of a good classic Hard Rock/Heavy Metal hole in the demo arena for Helix.

As far as Helix GAS, I am still impressed on the reg's with this thing. It is so amazingly simple to program and get good sounds. I will be making these patches available for free download for sure. I will probably recreate them for the HX Edit and Native as well since they have so many formats now.
Agreed on the albums!! We also covered a bunch of Twisted Sister songs (and had the pleasure of opening for them twice) and they were so much fun....just straight up rock and roll! Burn in Hell is one of my all time favorites.

I have been watching and reading your posts on the Helix and think I am getting close to pulling the trigger. Your clips all sound great! I do like the simplicity you mention because I find myself losing interest in modelers if I have to spend countless hours tweaking just to find a good base tone (at least to my ears). I actually use a POD HD for practice and some light recording so I figure transitioning to the Helix would be a natural progression.

fender126":30gy4a17 said:
JerEvil":30gy4a17 said:
JerEvil":30gy4a17 said:

Agreed on the albums!! We also covered a bunch of Twisted Sister songs (and had the pleasure of opening for them twice) and they were so much fun....just straight up rock and roll! Burn in Hell is one of my all time favorites.

I have been watching and reading your posts on the Helix and think I am getting close to pulling the trigger. Your clips all sound great! I do like the simplicity you mention because I find myself losing interest in modelers if I have to spend countless hours tweaking just to find a good base tone (at least to my ears). I actually use a POD HD for practice and some light recording so I figure transitioning to the Helix would be a natural progression.
Cool man! FWIW, I own the Helix Floor, Helix Rack & Controller, Helix Native AND the HX Effects. I have had the Kemper, AX8, Amplifire, etc. They all had their pluses and minuses for me, but at the end of the day, Helix kills it for me and my needs plus... it's dead fun to play! You really can dial in tones quickly. You should try the free demo of Native for 15 days if you have any kind of recording setup at home. This way you can play around with everything and decide if it's for you.

I can't recommend it enough.

Back