Speaker squeal celestion v30’s need troubleshoot advice.

mchn13

I have a pair of engl cabs, both v30’s, that started squealing whenever I would stop/start. Got past the noise gates, etc... stopped practice to troubleshoot, and finally plugged that side into another cab and all was well. Same cable, head, guitar etc...
Now I have the cab at home with the back off and thought I could just find it with a 9v battery to the terminals and the bad one would present itself. ... nope.
Any advice on how to troubleshoot this? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Can’t figure any easy way to find the offending speaker so I’m gonna go get a head from the studio, and wire one at a time to the jack lol.
Secondary question; is it safe to test one v30 at a time with a 300 watt amp at very low volume..??

Like a feedback kind of squeal? Its possible the speaker/cab is fine, and it's just exacerbating a feedback problem waiting to happen?

Anyhow, yes you can safely test each speaker individually at low volume. v30's are rated at 60w so keep your volume around 1, you should be fine.

Thanks for the replies fellas. Of course it was the last one I checked after unsoldering and resoldering each speaker to an input jack and trying them. I had already eliminated the cord or amp problem at practice by switching that cab with another one and it went away.
I don’t know how it happened; and I’ll try to post a pic of it in a few, but the cone at the edge of the frame had separated and was being held in place by the frame screwed to the cab, so when I got on it during a staccato part at volume, it showed up. Looks like the whole cone is tilted.

Wow, I'd like to see a photo of that speaker failure if you get a chance. Chinese V30s correct?

Back