Today I played a Mesa JP2C...not sold on it.

jdel77

...and I came away somewhat disappointed.

It was at a local guitar store, Limited Edition with fancypants wooden front. 

I was playing a Suhr Jazzmaster with humbuckers through a 2x12 horizontal Mesa cab with Vintage 30's.

The clean channel was nice but very dry. Good compression and attack, but it felt quite stiff and hard.

The dirt channels were better than what I expected for lower gain jangly stuff. Had a few of the guys from the drum side and a couple customers saying how good the amp sounded for this old school rock and roll sound. 

The high gain dirt was clear and tight, very precise like my old Simul/Export MKIII Blue Stripe and my MKIV, but again... stiff and cold really.

I was able to rip out some 80's modded Marshall riffs and modern djent easily enough, but the warmth and fluidity of my old Mesas wasn't there.

I was actually expecting an improvement on my MKIII/IV, but I'd prefer the Blue Stripe by a long shot. 

Merely my $0.02, I'm sure mileage will vary etc... etc...

DeathbyButterslax":2y7lfk57 said:
Mess with pull presence/gain/shred at all? Also I found it really is thin with some pickups

I tried the Pres. and Gain Pull. Good boost, but yeah not blown away :/

:dunno: If you don’t like it, you don’t like it, I don’t think it’s a mystery

I don’t really like it either, and IMO the price is too steep for what it offers

I thought it was amazing, especially in a band mix.

I tried it with several cabs, guitars and boosts. The best I had it sounding for high gain metal was with the OS Mesa 4x12, Buxom boost and believe it or not the G&L Cantrell guitar.

That setup was absolutely amazing. The amp does not have a thunderous low end like my Bogner does but it let's the Bass guitar do its job and you could always get a powered sub for that.

I really liked the JP2C I played. Just didn't like it as much as my Mark IV. Tonally I prefer the Mark IV over any other Mesa Mark I've owned or played.

I thought it was just ok, but I preferred the 2C++ over it. There were some switches on the JP2C that made the amp shrill and bright. I sold it within a few days of having it.

I have one and I like it, but it’s down in the list of the amps I own. If you don’t turn the volume up a bit, I think it doesn’t sound that great. It gets the goods when you crank it up a bit.

exo-metal":2wtxwa9q said:
My heavily modded MKIII blows doors on every amp I've ever played. Nothing comes close...

What mods has it got?
What Stripe and output section?

Stripe does not matter, listen to no one. Talk to the factory and ANY MKIII can be made to order. Ask and you'll receive.

candletears7":1b37cz8e said:
...and I came away somewhat disappointed.

It was at a local guitar store, Limited Edition with fancypants wooden front. 

I was playing a Suhr Jazzmaster with humbuckers through a 2x12 horizontal Mesa cab with Vintage 30's.

The clean channel was nice but very dry. Good compression and attack, but it felt quite stiff and hard.

The dirt channels were better than what I expected for lower gain jangly stuff. Had a few of the guys from the drum side and a couple customers saying how good the amp sounded for this old school rock and roll sound. 

The high gain dirt was clear and tight, very precise like my old Simul/Export MKIII Blue Stripe and my MKIV, but again... stiff and cold really.

I was able to rip out some 80's modded Marshall riffs and modern djent easily enough, but the warmth and fluidity of my old Mesas wasn't there.

I was actually expecting an improvement on my MKIII/IV, but I'd prefer the Blue Stripe by a long shot. 

Merely my $0.02, I'm sure mileage will vary etc... etc...
The mark III is one of the most overlooked amps ever. I don't think I'll ever sell mine.

exo-metal":1uqx8w6w said:
Stripe does not matter, listen to no one. Talk to the factory and ANY MKIII can be made to order. Ask and you'll receive.

I agree and I know there are tiny changes between the Stripes for more and more gain.
I'm this close to seeing if I can buy my Export/Simul Blue Stripe back and modding it to Red Stripe/C+ specs.

More just interested in what you had done to yours.

sotosprince":2pvbkk5q said:
exo-metal":2pvbkk5q said:
My heavily modded MKIII blows doors on every amp I've ever played. Nothing comes close...
That...
Glad you dig your IIIs. But what they don't come close to is the real deal C+.

I've had 2 Mark IIIs, and once I plugged into my first C+ I compared it to a Red Stripe III. It was like taking a blanket off the speaker difference. Just way better in every category.

If you get a chance I highly recommend trying one, if you like the Mark tone.

Back