Today I played a Mesa JP2C...not sold on it.

Man I don’t know about this long head iic+ conspiracy now, but it sounds like more cork sniffery to me. If the long head means it has 6 power tubes and is a coli then yes it will probably sound insane.

The mark series amps need some serious tweaking of the EQ to get where you want it. The slightest move changes the tone dramatically. If you tweak it just right you will get where you want to go.

braintheory":1kea1qr1 said:
EXPcustom":1kea1qr1 said:
I know a lot of people are saying they had a C+ and it wasn't all that and the Mk.X series blew it away but seriously not many exceot one person in this thread had or has a fully loaded long head C+. (Shout out to Superunkown, love your C+ clip)

Given the layout of the amp the difference between a short and long chassis can make a distinct tonal difference.

My loaded long chassis heads made a tonal difference.

Flame suit on!!! :gethim: :doh: :cry:
Can you describe what tonal differences you actually hear between the long and short head and why you prefer it? I wonder if maybe Mike B would be able to mod a short head to sound the same unless the difference really is significant. I also wonder if my mark iii++ coliseum (no stripe) would be more like a long or short head. As I said before, it sounds like a bigger, better version of my factory mark iic+ HRG, while my iii++ blue stripe coliseum’s don’t

Layout and grounds, preamp tube location, even where the effects loop is on the amp can effect the tone. I am by no means an amp expert I just have been shown by one of the best amp modders in the world how layout, placement of a pcb by preamp tubes and grounds can all add up to a some off all parts in the overall tone.

For example if you look at any Cameron modded Marshall with an effects loop he always places it far away from the preamp tubes and preamp board.

The larger chassis the better you can layout the amp and you have have less components interfering with each other. Not a out there concept or cork sniffing, it's just common sense.

Better layed out amp will have less ghost noting/doubling, weird fizz, noise etc. It can be the difference between a good sounding amp to a great sounding amp.

I recently set out on a quest to find a great high gain channel-switching amp and happened to be at my local music shop when they suggested I check out the JP-2C, of which they had several in different iterations/price points. I had some experience with Mesa previously by way of my old short head Mk IV about ten years ago, as well as playing a dozen or so others belonging to various friends, so was sort of lukewarm on the idea as the sound just never appealed to me. We plugged into a Mesa 4x12 and I was honestly instantly blown away by the tones I was getting with one of the shops LP's. Everything from clean to ultra high gain sounded phenomenal, with no compromises. So I bought it. It was one of the limited fancy wood front ones with Randall and John's signatures and it was on sale. Sure enough, I brought it hope, unboxed it (they gave me a new one) and was instantly bummed by what I was hearing. I don't have a great assortment of cabs at home, really just a Two Rock 2x12 (loaded with EM12's) for the time being, so I realize that was likely the issue- I really don't have the space for a 4x12. That said, I took it to a practice hall that same night and hated the sound through their random Peavey 4x12 as well. Granted, another cab not ideal for the amp. I ultimately returned the amp a few days later as, no matter how hard I tried to dial it in to my environment, it just didn't work out. Sucks because I thought my journey would simply end there- not looking forward to all the shipping charges and duties I'll no doubt incur over the next couple months while I try different amps out as none of the stuff I'm interested in (Diezel, Soldano, etc.) is available locally. I was really blown away by the JP-2C that first day in the shop through the Mesa 4x12, as was my friend who is a huge gearhound, but unfortunately it didn't work out at home. Really is very important to have the right cab.

white buffalo":3hfx4iad said:
I recently set out on a quest to find a great high gain channel-switching amp and happened to be at my local music shop when they suggested I check out the JP-2C, of which they had several in different iterations/price points. I had some experience with Mesa previously by way of my old short head Mk IV about ten years ago, as well as playing a dozen or so others belonging to various friends, so was sort of lukewarm on the idea as the sound just never appealed to me. We plugged into a Mesa 4x12 and I was honestly instantly blown away by the tones I was getting with one of the shops LP's. Everything from clean to ultra high gain sounded phenomenal, with no compromises. So I bought it. It was one of the limited fancy wood front ones with Randall and John's signatures and it was on sale. Sure enough, I brought it hope, unboxed it (they gave me a new one) and was instantly bummed by what I was hearing. I don't have a great assortment of cabs at home, really just a Two Rock 2x12 (loaded with EM12's) for the time being, so I realize that was likely the issue- I really don't have the space for a 4x12. That said, I took it to a practice hall that same night and hated the sound through their random Peavey 4x12 as well. Granted, another cab not ideal for the amp. I ultimately returned the amp a few days later as, no matter how hard I tried to dial it in to my environment, it just didn't work out. Sucks because I thought my journey would simply end there- not looking forward to all the shipping charges and duties I'll no doubt incur over the next couple months while I try different amps out as none of the stuff I'm interested in (Diezel, Soldano, etc.) is available locally. I was really blown away by the JP-2C that first day in the shop through the Mesa 4x12, as was my friend who is a huge gearhound, but unfortunately it didn't work out at home. Really is very important to have the right cab.

The cab is the most important part of tone

BrentSSL":1ps695g0 said:
white buffalo":1ps695g0 said:

The actual cab or the speakers or the combination of both?
I've only learned this recently and always saw the cab + speakers as something that'll just work with any amp you throw it at.
Playing combo amps for years it really wasn't on my radar anymore (last 4x12 I owned was at least four years ago and was made to go with a specific head), but I quickly learned through the above experience how important speaker selection is.
I haven't researched the actual physics of cab design and how different ones affect tone- maybe it's more of an acoustic resonance thing as opposed to actual tone?

white buffalo":a38e3tq3 said:
BrentSSL":a38e3tq3 said:
white buffalo":a38e3tq3 said:

The actual cab or the speakers or the combination of both?
I've only learned this recently and always saw the cab + speakers as something that'll just work with any amp you throw it at.
Playing combo amps for years it really wasn't on my radar anymore (last 4x12 I owned was at least four years ago and was made to go with a specific head), but I quickly learned through the above experience how important speaker selection is.
I haven't researched the actual physics of cab design and how different ones affect tone- maybe it's more of an acoustic resonance thing as opposed to actual tone?

I think it's a combination of speakers and the housing. If you find a cab that sounds buy it but if you blow a speaker now you have to replace a speaker that works or sounds good. You can't just buy a cab that says marshall or Mesa and expect it to sound good. Then you have to find a head that matches the tone in your head. So many things can change your tone but if you start with a good cab first and build your way up you will have good results.

Got to thinking about this amp having the big irons and everything else and it not living up to the hype...but it may be worth modding :yes:

Well,
anyone who pays so much money for an amp like this, it means that he likes the way it sounds in all 3 channels and buy it for what it is.
In my experience it's always a compromise with multichannel amps.
Either you are ok with it or you don't.
By modding an amp like this you (not you personally ? - generally speaking) either have cash and time to burn or like to experiment.
I say buy it for what it is or built a multiamp system if you have the space (3 USED amps are enough, as some of them can be 2ch f.e) for every sound you need ??
It costs a little more but you are covered. With the real thing ;)

Not bad advice but I am none to experiment. You're right on the money. I would look elsewhere for my experiments but if you did have the amp already but it wasn't checking every box u bought it for it may be worthy to have a factory mod.

I think too many people are trying to make this amp in to something it was not intended. It is an amp based partially on a HRG IIC+ with JPs own input/needs/wants thrown in.

exo-metal":631ql6e7 said:
Got to thinking about this amp having the big irons and everything else and it not living up to the hype...but it may be worth modding :yes:

Lol talk to FJA about that he wouldn't touch my MrkV

A factory mod would be the only consideration and certainly a mistake if taken elsewhere with the cost of the amp.

Crunchtime":2sspaqsl said:
Whowantsamustache":2sspaqsl said:
I have pretty much every Mark series amp except the mark I and the V, which sucked major ass.

Honestly for the money I would get a Mark IV or III and save some major dough.

The IIC+ is highly over rated. This is coming from someone who owns an original and a iic++.

The older Marks do sound way better than the newly released models though. Just more louder and prouder.

Be careful. You might upset the guys that want to keep the hype up. Not saying a IIC+ is not great but, I really can't believe it's 4 times greater than a MK III.
I had a Purple stripe and a Red stripe at the same time, and according to the net the Red is king....well, the Purple shit all over the Red stripe, and it wasn't close. Cool amp....then I found a 60w 2C for 750. When it was delivered I A/Bd the amps for a bit, and the difference was pretty big in the clarity dept, almost like taking a blanket off the cab. The feel is the part of the 2C that is unique, and addicting IMO. And that was when the amp was a C not yet a C+. It was even better after Mike B modded it to a +.

I would compare the Mk III or any of the Marks to a C+ like this....A Soldano HR 100 is a cool amp, built well and cuts like a knife. Great amp...
Then you play an SLO...same voicing but it's just that much better IMO. Are they worth 3-5K? To the guy that loves the Mark series I would say yes. Occasionally you'll see one pop up used for a good deal. Just have to be patient.

Back