BcmIijt.jpg

d4fv2cN.jpg

vkPX2HM.jpg

Oh my God. Delicious.

Ditto !

John4021":3qnsoenb said:
What year is yours White Buffalo.
That's a killer axe

It's a 2016 replica build, made by a well known Canadian builder (you can pm me for more info).
It's 100% authentic in every way, as he made it using traces he took of an actual '58 he had access to.
Made using old growth korina and Brazilian!

Mailman1971":3krjn65w said:
I had the ultimate explorer. Mathais Jabs personal beat to fuck Gibson.
Serial number was confirmed. Sold it about 18 years back.
Bought it off eBay. Lol.
That was a grail guitar for me....

white buffalo":2r2rpzdq said:

Hey, wait a sec...I remember this build! That guitar is amazing, and the luthier that built it is about as legit as it comes. That’s cool that you have it now! Did he ever build a second one? Are you the original owner?

Since my last question killed the thread, I’ll post up a pic of both the Explorers I own at the moment. I’m hoping to get a few more Explorers in the near future, but here are the Sexplorers as of today...

fretout":2lr2iufv said:
Since my last question killed the thread, I’ll post up a pic of both the Explorers I own at the moment. I’m hoping to get a few more Explorers in the near future, but here’s my little stable at the moment...

Love it!! Those look badass man! Of the two, which is your favorite?

Oblivion DC":1hwp2nbx said:
fretout":1hwp2nbx said:
Since my last question killed the thread, I’ll post up a pic of both the Explorers I own at the moment. I’m hoping to get a few more Explorers in the near future, but here’s my little stable at the moment...

Love it!! Those look badass man! Of the two, which is your favorite?

Thanks man! They surprised me...in a good way. I bought them and expected to paint them, rip the pickups out, and replace the hardware, but both Explorers were surprisingly light, and you can feel each note resonate from the headstock, through the neck, and all the way to the upper horn. They have more resonance than any of my Les Pauls, which I was not expecting. I figured they would sound a little darker than the LPCs, but they have more attack!

As far as a favorite, it’s hard to say. Tonally and sonically, they are pretty much identical. The one thing that is different about them is the finish...oddly enough. The one on the right is completely smooth, and is finished just like any other guitar...except for the finish wasn’t buffed out. The one on the left is actually a little tougher, almost like it’s missing 2 coats of clear. Strange that Gibson’s paint department is so varied on this set, but as of today, I like the rougher neck because it plays a little faster.

One other thing worth mentioning is the fact that Gibson called these “Limited Edition Faded” models, but they are nothing like the faded models Gibson put out in the past. These are fully finished guitars, but the clear coat isn’t buffed out. They have more of a VOS finish, but they shouldn’t be labeled as “faded” models.

jlb32":32jse7xn said:
Personally from my experience, the '76 Gibson Reissue Explorers are where it's at. I've owned many of them but the '76 Reissues have always seemed to sound and play the best??

other than possibly different pickups can you tell me the difference in a 76 reissue and any other explorer ? Bigger neck maybe ?
I've ask this on other forums and can't get a straight answer .

splatter":164vd2e4 said:
jlb32":164vd2e4 said:
Personally from my experience, the '76 Gibson Reissue Explorers are where it's at. I've owned many of them but the '76 Reissues have always seemed to sound and play the best??

other than possibly different pickups can you tell me the difference in a 76 reissue and any other explorer ? Bigger neck maybe ?
I've ask this on other forums and can't get a straight answer .

The biggest difference is the size of the neck. ‘76 Explorers have a much thicker neck, that some Nancys say is almost too big for them to play. But; you’re not a Nancy, are you? Even though the neck on the ‘76 Explorer is bigger than that “standard” Explorer, it’s still quite a bit smaller than my ‘68RI necks.

Body dimensions are the same as the “normal” Explorers. Same Mahogany body, mahogany neck, however there have been a few rumors of a small number of Explorers being made from Korina, but I haven’t personally seen a ‘76 Explorer made from Korina. Normal Nashville bridge, stop tailpiece, ect. The biggest difference is the size of the neck; and the limited finishes. Standard Explorer = slim taper neck. ‘76 Explorer = somewhere around a ‘59 LP profile.

Korina built guitars are one of the best woods I've ever heard, it's like a clear bell-like tone, chimney.

I agree... Korina is currently my favorite wood. I wish I had an Explorer or V in korina… I do have 2 Korina McCartys and a korina neck on a Hollowbody. Korina has the body and warmth of mahogany with the snap of ash, very balanced and very resonant. I don't know about all korina, but in the examples I have, it's really light weight, too, amazingly so for the tone that comes out of it.

ChurchHill":3nbnsxy5 said:
I agree... Korina is currently my favorite wood. I wish I had an Explorer or V in korina… I do have 2 Korina McCartys and a korina neck on a Hollowbody. Korina has the body and warmth of mahogany with the snap of ash, very balanced and very resonant. I don't know about all korina, but in the examples I have, it's really light weight, too, amazingly so for the tone that comes out of it.

Curious as to what neck and fretboard woods pair up well with the Korina body? I've never owned or played a korina guitar so I'm completely clueless on this subject.

My McCartys have rosewood boards, which works really well, IMHO, with the korina body and neck. Honestly, I think just about any neck and board would go well with korina. It's really well balanced, kind of like alder in that regard.

I wouldn't hesitate to go with a maple neck, rosewood board, or even a rosewood neck, ebony board. A maple neck, maple board might get a little bright, but that's not a bad thing at all. My Hollowbody has a korina neck and an African "Blackwood" board (whatever that means, feels and looks like ebony to me), but the body's mahogany with a maple top.

Anyway... back to our regularly scheduled topic... ;) Here are my two.

file.php

Attachments

• Explorers.jpg
    Explorers.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 2,686
Back