Explorer love....

jlb32

post yours! My favorite shape, feel and tone!

eyHLs38.jpg

I've always wanted one, but never owned one...and here I am looking at $2000+ Les Pauls when I should really save the hassle of finding a good one and just getting an Explorer for less dough.

D-Rock":2spy4o5g said:
I've always wanted one, but never owned one...and here I am looking at $2000+ Les Pauls when I should really save the hassle of finding a good one and just getting an Explorer for less dough.

This.

I absolutely love my LP Customs, but I’ve only been playing my Explorers I picked up last year. They are like tuning forks! I’ve always wanted an Explorer, and I finally got one (two technically) after 20 years! I really, really wish I bought one from the start. My only “complaint” would be that the necks are a little too thin, but then again, I’m used to the giant necks on the ‘68RIs.

fretout":36u1rpwb said:
D-Rock":36u1rpwb said:

This.

I absolutely love my LP Customs, but I’ve only been playing my Explorers I picked up last year. They are like tuning forks! I’ve always wanted an Explorer, and I finally got one (two technically) after 20 years! I really, really wish I bought one from the start. My only “complaint” would be that the necks are a little too thin, but then again, I’m used to the giant necks on the ‘68RIs.

Check out a korina '58 ri Explorer and you'll be complaining the neck on your '68 ri LP is a pencil. The '58's are MASSIVE. Also the '76 LE's (as used by The Edge) feature huge baseball bat necks.

white buffalo":1gfgn870 said:
fretout":1gfgn870 said:
D-Rock":1gfgn870 said:

This.

Check out a korina '58 ri Explorer and you'll be complaining the neck on your '68 ri LP is a pencil. The '58's are MASSIVE. Also the '76 LE's (as used by The Edge) feature huge baseball bat necks.

I’ve played the ‘76 LEs, and I love their necks, but they are definitely smaller than the ‘68RIs. I would like to try out a ‘58 Korina based on your advice, but the only Korina Explorer I have seen in person are the Epi Korinas. Are you talking about the Gibson Custom Shop Benchmark ‘58s, of an ACTUAL ‘58 Explorer, because I am about $249,000 short...

I've always been a superstrat player, and wanted a Gibson for the bigger sound and went through so many Les Pauls but just couldn't get used to the shape, feel, sound, and kept selling them.

One day on a whim I got a used 2016 Explorer T, and it blew me away, it was exactly what I was looking for as it hung sort of like a strat on me but gave me the bigger solid sound. Love the 500T pickups. Some say the Duncan Distortion is a ceramic JB, but I say the 500T is much closer to how I would think a ceramic JB would sound. It's tighter and edgier than the JB but still has some bounce and give that you don't get with the Duncan. I had an Evertune put on it because I can't stand how Gibson's never stay in tune for me and now it is just perfect.

I ended up getting a second cherry red one with Evertune to match it.

Attachments

• explorers.jpg
    explorers.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,182
I love Explorers. I picked up a Snakebyte earlier in the year, there's just something about the shape that I really dig. This has become my favorite guitar, I think. It looks, sounds, and plays awesomely.

IMG_20180506_220621.jpg

IMG_20180506_220627.jpg

IMG_20180506_220640.jpg

IMG_20180506_220646.jpg

I had the ultimate explorer. Mathais Jabs personal beat to fuck Gibson.
Serial number was confirmed. Sold it about 18 years back.
Bought it off eBay. Lol.

I have one 2016 T wich is for sale unfortunately.
Nice looking guitar and all but my 1999 lp classic fits me better.
Shitty factory setup and everything, had to pay enough extra cash to a guitar technician just to make it playable..
By the way a standard 1994 (or 1996?) i used to record my first album was and felt miles better than the explorer. Just a huuugge sounding guitar.
In addition, i used a 90's black explorer for the second album and the sound was still NOT as huge as the lp. I don't know, maybe the explorer is not my thing i guess.

image_3.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

image.jpeg

Personally from my experience, the '76 Gibson Reissue Explorers are where it's at. I've owned many of them but the '76 Reissues have always seemed to sound and play the best??

Mailman1971":36bzbk79 said:
I had the ultimate explorer. Mathais Jabs personal beat to fuck Gibson.
Serial number was confirmed. Sold it about 18 years back.
Bought it off eBay. Lol.
DAAAAAAMMMM........

Why would you let that go?

Why??

I'm starting to think you may have a problem.. :LOL: :LOL:

I had both Justice era Hetfield explorers and sold them like a dumbass thinking I would find more at a later date in Japan. :doh:

That's not a black explorer on the right, its that gun metal grey color exactly like Hetfield's Fuk Em up explorer.
XtQlTiol.jpg

Back