NAD_Wizard MCII

Wizard of Ozz":33kdl48p said:
braintheory":33kdl48p said:
Wizard of Ozz":33kdl48p said:
MetalHeadMike":33kdl48p said:
I've had this amp for the better part of two months now and figured the honeymoon should be about over.

Still just absolutely amazed with this amp. Has to be one of the meanest most aggressive sounds I've had yet out of an amp. The wide open/uncompressed gain structure, articulation, growl, and balls this machine is capable of is utterly mind boggling. I've sold 3 amps and counting since acquiring this.

... and you are not alone. The Wizards took out both my Herbert and VH4. Which is no small feat. Just not as fun if the amp doesn't say Wizard on the front.

I also got rid of several amps when I first got a Wizard. Out of curiosity, which amps have still been keepers for you since getting them?

Besides the Wizards... Mesas: JP2C, MW Triple Recto, several MK3++ DRG, MK2C++ HRG, MK2C++ DRG, MK4, KSR Gemini, JCM8002203-Aldrich, 1967SLP.

I’ve downsized a lot. Not as much time to use them all now, like I used to. Hope you’re still enjoying the SE. Those are fun amps.
Nice! My collection is kinda similar: Mesas: MK1, MK2C+ HRG, 3 MK3++ Coliseums (2 blue stripe, 1 no stripe), Cameron’s: (Aldrich 1979 JMP2203, Atomica modded SLP100, , CCV, Jose/Aldrich/Plexi 1978 SLP 100), Wizard MTL, Engl SE, Todd Sharp JOAT 45

Yeah the SE is cool. There’s something about the way it’s bottom end hits you that none of my other amps can match, so it’s staying, but I play mostly my mesas and Cameron’s

I used to own a Gemini. Looks like you let go of also the SLO and Uberschall

Is your Aldrich a Cameron or by a different modder?

MetalHeadMike":1h1beves said:
I've had this amp for the better part of two months now and figured the honeymoon should be about over.

Still just absolutely amazed with this amp. Has to be one of the meanest most aggressive sounds I've had yet out of an amp. The wide open/uncompressed gain structure, articulation, growl, and balls this machine is capable of is utterly mind boggling. I've sold 3 amps and counting since acquiring this.

I've had my MC25 for a little over a year now...it sent my 50 watt Bogner Helios packing, no question. At 25 watts it ate the Helios in the balls dept, and there isn't anything out there that does the uncompressed grind like these at any wattage.

:rock: x1000

braintheory":31sl3qo0 said:
Wizard of Ozz":31sl3qo0 said:
braintheory":31sl3qo0 said:
Wizard of Ozz":31sl3qo0 said:
MetalHeadMike":31sl3qo0 said:

... and you are not alone. The Wizards took out both my Herbert and VH4. Which is no small feat. Just not as fun if the amp doesn't say Wizard on the front.

I also got rid of several amps when I first got a Wizard. Out of curiosity, which amps have still been keepers for you since getting them?

Besides the Wizards... Mesas: JP2C, MW Triple Recto, several MK3++ DRG, MK2C++ HRG, MK2C++ DRG, MK4, KSR Gemini, JCM8002203-Aldrich, 1967SLP.

I’ve downsized a lot. Not as much time to use them all now, like I used to. Hope you’re still enjoying the SE. Those are fun amps.
Nice! My collection is kinda similar: Mesas: MK1, MK2C+ HRG, 3 MK3++ Coliseums (2 blue stripe, 1 no stripe), Cameron’s: (Aldrich 1979 JMP2203, Atomica modded SLP100, , CCV, Jose/Aldrich/Plexi 1978 SLP 100), Wizard MTL, Engl SE, Todd Sharp JOAT 45

Yeah the SE is cool. There’s something about the way it’s bottom end hits you that none of my other amps can match, so it’s staying, but I play mostly my mesas and Cameron’s

I used to own a Gemini. Looks like you let go of also the SLO and Uberschall

Is your Aldrich a Cameron or by a different modder?

It’s a Suhr... but somewhat special and was built by John himself. I like his take on the circuit best, and it’s what Doug himself uses, with a few tweaks. It’s a little more organic, and tubey sounding imho.

The SE is killer cause it has that big, massive low end chunk for chugging rhythms... but still stays tight and articulate. It’s weird and cool at the same time. It can do both things at once. And it has a good amount of high end cut and presence if wanted. Neat sound to be sure.

The SLOs are always entertaining... and I wanted to do side by side with my MC2. I liked the MC2 better. Now with Soldano going under, maybe I should’ve kept it? It was a new 2018 with the depth mod.
:confused:

Wizard of Ozz":32wuy8zu said:
Racerxrated":32wuy8zu said:
Honestly the only criticism I could imagine one would have is the dryness they can have compared to other amps, ie lack of compression which can make Wizards a bit harder to play on for some that are used to say a 5153 which are full of compression. But if you dig VHT/Fryette stuff you won't have any problem with Wizards...they aren't as dry as VHT. But the lack of compression equals incredible note separation and clarity, and there is no amp...none that have the power section that steamrolls the player like a Wizard.
I've had 2 Mesa Coliseums...they are rated at 180W...and my 100w Wizard is at least as loud. Triple Recto? Fuggedaboudit. I A/Bd my triple next to my Wizard. Either the Triple is not 150w or the Wizard is 160 lol.
Insanely great amps that put a smile on my face every day.

I've owned a few Fryettes, but I'm not a fan of their amps in general. Not horrible by any means. The Ultra-Lead in particular is too tight/dry/unsaturated. It has an odd voicing when played loud... especially side to side with a Marshall, Mesa, or something more familiar/classic sounding. Some like it, some not. Something hollow, missing in the mid-voicing.

The Wizards, while staying tight, and a little dry can get plenty saturated/wet/fun to play for my taste. Rick has the recipe just right. Enough preamp push to wet/saturate the signal... but enough power/filtering in the power amp too keep things tight/defined/articualte without sounding odd/off/too stiff/too sterile... and very little compression which is key to the focused/articulate high gain tones at loud volumes. No signal squash even when turned up. Nice mix of all the right ingredients. Like baking the perfect cake.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

The Deliverance 120 sounds pretty good, I think.

Vin Diezel":7i4r4fww said:
Wizard of Ozz":7i4r4fww said:
Racerxrated":7i4r4fww said:
Honestly the only criticism I could imagine one would have is the dryness they can have compared to other amps, ie lack of compression which can make Wizards a bit harder to play on for some that are used to say a 5153 which are full of compression. But if you dig VHT/Fryette stuff you won't have any problem with Wizards...they aren't as dry as VHT. But the lack of compression equals incredible note separation and clarity, and there is no amp...none that have the power section that steamrolls the player like a Wizard.
I've had 2 Mesa Coliseums...they are rated at 180W...and my 100w Wizard is at least as loud. Triple Recto? Fuggedaboudit. I A/Bd my triple next to my Wizard. Either the Triple is not 150w or the Wizard is 160 lol.
Insanely great amps that put a smile on my face every day.

I've owned a few Fryettes, but I'm not a fan of their amps in general. Not horrible by any means. The Ultra-Lead in particular is too tight/dry/unsaturated. It has an odd voicing when played loud... especially side to side with a Marshall, Mesa, or something more familiar/classic sounding. Some like it, some not. Something hollow, missing in the mid-voicing.

The Wizards, while staying tight, and a little dry can get plenty saturated/wet/fun to play for my taste. Rick has the recipe just right. Enough preamp push to wet/saturate the signal... but enough power/filtering in the power amp too keep things tight/defined/articualte without sounding odd/off/too stiff/too sterile... and very little compression which is key to the focused/articulate high gain tones at loud volumes. No signal squash even when turned up. Nice mix of all the right ingredients. Like baking the perfect cake.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

The Deliverance 120 sounds pretty good, I think.
:rock:
D60/120 are 2 of the best amps I've played, regardless of price point. When you see one used for 1K it's easily the best bang for the used buck out there. I A/B'd my SLO with the D60 I had at the same time and they were very close.

lespaul6":f9vzwyw1 said:
The power section is like a hot rod car on the verge of blowing up.. well the whole amp is like that really

Great way of describing it :thumbsup: That's exactly what it sounds/feels like :rock: :rock:

Racerxrated":f9vzwyw1 said:
There's a spot on the volume that when set very quiet, easily apartment quiet, (don't have to worry here) where it really sounds like an amp with a pushed power section...I have no clue how he does that at such a quiet level.

Yep, mine's got that sweet spot as well. Pretty amazing that you can that that effect at lower volumes.

Wizard of Ozz":f9vzwyw1 said:

Yeah the D60 was quite amazing and the Splawn was friggin phenomenal and will be missed, but I like the Wizard even more. Better mids and even more thump. The Splawn had every bit the articulation and note separation, maybe more believe it or not, and the low end punched hard but not quite as hard as the Wizard.

Studio420Ben":f9vzwyw1 said:
Welcome to the World of Wizard. Just got my MC 100 back from Rick 1st week of June and I've been kinda absent ever since for good reason. Great post you made and all the adjectives are correct. A new one needs to be added to the dictionary when it comes to the Modern Classic.
A long time drummer of mine happened by the studio last week and he left with his jaw draggin' the floor...he was speechless. Wizard MC knockout punch! :gethim: :thumbsup: Peace

Thanks man! I can see how anyone's jaw would drop upon hearing one of these amps in person!!!

Back