NAD_Wizard MCII

MetalHeadMike

I finally caved and bought a Wizard. Couldn't take it anymore and had to see what all the hype was about.

5uYOnU6l.jpg

2km7xydl.jpg

Well my initial thoughts upon plugging in the day it arrived were that everything I've read regarding the amps punchy nature are 1000% spot on and fact. I surely thought that people were exaggerating with comments like "it makes all my other amps feel/sound small", or "you have to sit in front of one in the room to understand".

It is tremendously powerful and you really do have to experience it in the room to understand it.

The percussive effect and amount of air moved is almost hard to believe. Some amps punch you in the chest, some smash you in the face, but this thing punches you in the chest, smashes you in the face, and kicks you in the nuts simultaneously. I had the master on 5 the other day and my wife came into the basement saying the entire house was shaking on its foundation and it felt as if it was going to shake apart.

There are many aspects about this machine that are still blowing my mind, but I think the thing that has me the most amazed is the fact that this is the first amp that I was able to dial a tone that I absolutely love and its there every time I plug in without touching a knob; all I do is flip it to standby and play. No continuous knob turning like I've experienced with damn near every other amp. Not to say I couldn't get great tones from other amps, but it seemed that I'd no sooner find a tone I was satisfied with, and the next day it just wasn't right, it wasn't there, and the knob turning would commence.

When people say this is one of the most open gain structures in the business, I can now see why they make this claim. It's also cable of some pretty extreme saturation too. I have spent 99% of my time on the lead channel with the boost engaged and plugged into the low input, and its more than enough gain with gain knob at 1--->3 o' clock to satisfy my thrash and death metal urges all while doing so with amazing articulation and warmth. Great great voicing with a very mean unruly attitude. Dynamics are incredible. Pick light and its very very open yet raunchy, and dig in hard and it just snarls and growls like the hounds of hell. Palm mutes and chugs sound like pure fucking cannon fire.

I messed with the Rhythm channel briefly on day one to compare the rock tones to a Germino club 40, and it's definitely on par. It does the 60s--->70s rock n rolla stuff beautifully but definitely with major bite and attitude. Not near as sweet as the Germino but to be expected considering that's a 50w and bass spec with EL34 vs. the 100w E34L power section of the MCII. I need to get back to that channel and play more, but the metal tones on the lead channel are so seductive and will most likely keep me detained for the time being.

I've been very very hesitant to spend this much coin on one amp, but I have to say that so far its been worth every penny :rock:

That's so awesome that you're still enjoying this as much as the day you got it. Sounds like you're still just completely blown away!! Don't have any personal experience, but I really do think this is one of those amps that the honeymoon will never wear off. I certainly hope so... it's solidly at the top of my list to buy.

Anyway, congrats again on the amp!! Can't wait to get my hands on one!! So awesome!!

:rawk: :cheers:

Hell yeah, congrats!
I love wizards. I’ve had the chance to play one a lot. I will have one in my stable for sure in the near future.

Congrats! Man I have got to try a Wizard. I've been itching to try the MC2 for a long time.

ChurchHill":f7mv3q3f said:
That's so awesome that you're still enjoying this as much as the day you got it. Sounds like you're still just completely blown away!! Don't have any personal experience, but I really do think this is one of those amps that the honeymoon will never wear off. I certainly hope so... it's solidly at the top of my list to buy.

Anyway, congrats again on the amp!! Can't wait to get my hands on one!! So awesome!!

:rawk: :cheers:

Thanks bud :rock: I'm actually digging it more than the day I got it :rock: If I like it this much with all JJ, I'm really curious how it would sound/feel with different preamp tubes. I am really digging the E34Ls, but wan't to try it with KT77s .

errrrrl":f7mv3q3f said:
Wow dude, nice amp! Grats!
Thanks dude :rock:

LunatiBSW":f7mv3q3f said:
Hell yeah, congrats!
I love wizards. I’ve had the chance to play one a lot. I will have one in my stable for sure in the near future.

Do it, just sell all your stuff and do it, hahahaha! Just kidding, don't sell everything, but do include one in the stable :rock:

exo-metal":f7mv3q3f said:
Killer choice man and the amp ain't bad either, Exodus rules.

Thanks man! Exodus does rules, especially with Steve Souza :rock:

Jayy":f7mv3q3f said:
Congrats! Man I have got to try a Wizard. I've been itching to try the MC2 for a long time.

You NEED to try one. I'm so glad I finally pulled the trigger on one. As a metal player I was unsure if the MCII was the better choice over the MTL. I have not played an MTL so can't say for sure, but the MCII is absolutely perfect.

MetalHeadMike":2tkqtqpl said:
I finally caved and bought a Wizard. Couldn't take it anymore and had to see what all the hype was about.

5uYOnU6l.jpg

2km7xydl.jpg

Well my initial thoughts upon plugging in the day it arrived were that everything I've read regarding the amps punchy nature are 1000% spot on and fact. I surely thought that people were exaggerating with comments like "it makes all my other amps feel/sound small", or "you have to sit in front of one in the room to understand".

It is tremendously powerful and you really do have to experience it in the room to understand it.

The percussive effect and amount of air moved is almost hard to believe. Some amps punch you in the chest, some smash you in the face, but this thing punches you in the chest, smashes you in the face, and kicks you in the nuts simultaneously. I had the master on 5 the other day and my wife came into the basement saying the entire house was shaking on its foundation and it felt as if it was going to shake apart.

There are many aspects about this machine that are still blowing my mind, but I think the thing that has me the most amazed is the fact that this is the first amp that I was able to dial a tone that I absolutely love and its there every time I plug in without touching a knob; all I do is flip it to standby and play. No continuous knob turning like I've experienced with damn near every other amp. Not to say I couldn't get great tones from other amps, but it seemed that I'd no sooner find a tone I was satisfied with, and the next day it just wasn't right, it wasn't there, and the knob turning would commence.

When people say this is one of the most open gain structures in the business, I can now see why they make this claim. It's also cable of some pretty extreme saturation too. I have spent 99% of my time on the lead channel with the boost engaged and plugged into the low input, and its more than enough gain with gain knob at 1--->3 o' clock to satisfy my thrash and death metal urges all while doing so with amazing articulation and warmth. Great great voicing with a very mean unruly attitude. Dynamics are incredible. Pick light and its very very open yet raunchy, and dig in hard and it just snarls and growls like the hounds of hell. Palm mutes and chugs sound like pure fucking cannon fire.

I messed with the Rhythm channel briefly on day one to compare the rock tones to a Germino club 40, and it's definitely on par. It does the 60s--->70s rock n rolla stuff beautifully but definitely with major bite and attitude. Not near as sweet as the Germino but to be expected considering that's a 50w and bass spec with EL34 vs. the 100w E34L power section of the MCII. I need to get back to that channel and play more, but the metal tones on the lead channel are so seductive and will most likely keep me detained for the time being.

I've been very very hesitant to spend this much coin on one amp, but I have to say that so far its been worth every penny :rock:
Well said, you and I got our Wizards on the same day and I haven't plugged into anything else since. Just an insanely great tone and the punch is even better or more forceful than an SLO...and I thought I'd never say that.
The MC takes boosts better than the MTL I had, and that is key for me as I love to boost everything for a little variation on what I can get out of an amp. Doesn't need one, but none of my amps do and it's not for additional gain.....
I've had mine up to 4 and that's too much for my room lol. I'll add that the only amp that cleans up as well with the guitar vol knob is a Deliverance. Even with a boost on I can get a decent dirty clean...
Mine loves GBs and 65s best, over V30s. Picked up a mint BX cab from the 90s with the 6402 cones, got lucky and one popped up locally. Those speakers are also everything they are cracked up to be.
If you like a modded Marshall tone look no further than the Wizard MCI/II, they are the pinnacle IMO. I now have no GAS whatsoever.

MetalHeadMike":3n4k4etl said:
As a metal player I was unsure if the MCII was the better choice over the MTL. I have not played an MTL so can say for sure, but the MCII is absolutely perfect.

Therein lies the rub....today begins the countdown until the day you have an MTL sitting atop that stack along side the MCII. :LOL: :LOL:

To justify buying it.....if you're like me..... you say to yourself that you'll keep the one you like best and sell the other one. But then a year and a half later, you're still sitting there with both amps scheming about buying a third Wizard....with KT88s. :doh:

Maybe my next wizard will have a fancy exhaust port like yours :D

Thats awesome, one of the few amps I have gas for besides a Fortin Hiwatt..
That dam thing must generate some serious heat seeing that you had to vent it outside! :D

Congratulations!!
The best hard rock tones I’ve ever experienced…
You are right, no one can truly understand how big
this thing sounds until they sit in front of it… I had to
sell mine but I hope to have another Wizard someday,
all the best!

Those fucking things will kill small animals at 50 yards, be careful with your pets. :LOL: :LOL:

GOOD CANADIAN MADE AMPS!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :rock:

Yours has got one helluva heatsink system man - I've never seen that mod but I guess it keeps it cool ;)

Congratz!! I've only heard great things... Maybe one day. Right now I'm alright with what I'ze gots!! :thumbsup:

Wow... WOW!!!! I really want to try the MC. Never had the opportunity to play anything Wizard.

Back