Think I am going to buy a Boss SD1 today

jkdsteve":343gmm9x said:
I never looked back when I got my SD-1 after someone recommended it with my first Dual Rectifier....bought a Keeley SD-1 shortly after and that's been my #1 pedal for 15 years....lately though the KHDK Ghoul Screamer has been giving it a run for it's money.

I was just going to recommend a Keeley. :D I'm not sure if Rob still mods pedals. I need to ask him about that.

I have an old '81 SD-1 with the NEC chip that I love with Marshall amps. Compared to the others I had, it's a little noisier, but also nastier with more bite and edge. It's one of my favorite ODs. It's one of those old pedals that is noisy and quirky, but sounds damn good so you deal with it and use it anyway.

I haven't owned a ton of overdrive pedals.. but I will always have my plain old SD-1 around.
I loved it into plexi style amps when they are balls out.. and I think it slays into the front of a recto.

So after a weekend with the SD1 and a DSL100HR, I feel that this pedal was made for Marshall's! Something about it just makes the tone sit in a great spot in the mix. Going to keep it.

I saw a couple mention it working with with Dual Rec's also. I will give it a shot with the Tremoverb soon.

fek":3fd6bfg4 said:
So after a weekend with the SD1 and a DSL100HR, I feel that this pedal was made for Marshall's! Something about it just makes the tone sit in a great spot in the mix. Going to keep it.

I saw a couple mention it working with with Dual Rec's also. I will give it a shot with the Tremoverb soon.

It tightens the shit out of the bass (reduces it in front) but for some the resulting mid 'push' might be too much...easily dialed around though.

jkdsteve":1ni9ba0i said:
fek":1ni9ba0i said:

It tightens the shit out of the bass (reduces it in front) but for some the resulting mid 'push' might be too much...easily dialed around though.

The Koko is not leaving my board, because that does so much so very well, but the SD1 just sits in EQ spectrum for most of the things that I play better than the Cusack V2 and Shiba Reloaded. This is after weekend one with it. Time will tell.

fek":dk2coisf said:
jkdsteve":dk2coisf said:
fek":dk2coisf said:

The Koko is not leaving my board, because that does so much so very well, but the SD1 just sits in EQ spectrum for most of the things that I play better than the Cusack V2 and Shiba Reloaded. This is after weekend one with it. Time will tell.

I've tried other pedals that were supposed to be a refined or an improvement on the SD-1 but I find at volume, there is no need to improve upon it. I still give the OD-1 the edge but having a tone knob on the SD1 makes it play better with mid heavy circuits. I am also still not 100% on the cusak. Some days I like it, other days not as much. KoKo always sticks around though :) When I get the master cooking, I only need a slight kick from the mid side and I have enough for leads. Part of the problem with the hunt for the perfect drive is that very few of us rarely open the master up on our amps. If you only ever play bedroom volume, you think you need a gained out preamp section or the perfect OD. When you attenuate or add a PPIMV to your amp, then you realize you don't need as much gain because your amp gets the sag and sustain you need. You then just need a little help to tighten and make it easier to play. This is prob why those treble boosters were so popular in the 70's and 80's. Look at Michael R/T's modded Marshalls that he posts weekly on here. It is a PPIMV and a few minor tweaks here or there in the preamp and he is gooking some serious mean Marshall tones without any pedals.

Back