Mesa MKIIc+ Longheads

psychodave":lj8liym0 said:
steve_k":lj8liym0 said:
Same board. The wide head brings the reverb control and the SC/ClassA switch up front. There are a few with the presence up front (reverb on back) that are the holist of grails. A few were delivered with the ++ mod. All sound the same though.

I had a Coliseum 3++ with the presence in the front and no reverb. That amp crushed. I brought it over to Rockin Chippys House one day and his jaw was on the floor. I played it after he played all of his boutique amps. Needless to say, he was pissed after hearing it compared to his amps. He thought I set him up playing it after all of his amps. :LOL: :LOL: The amp threw so much sound you didn’t even need to use the “pull deep” on the master. :yes:

It didn't stop him from buying more and more boutique garbage only to sound exactly the same.

I chatted with Mike for years...I have a friend who is really close friends with him (been over to his house, etc) and it is no secret the Mike is at the end of his career.

I have a factory IIC++ Simul class long head. Presence on front, ALL original. Very rare. Basically identical to the one Hetfield used. Only difference being mine has a smaller "Boogie" logo.

I called Mike B and talked to him about mine. I sent him pics of the serial, chassis, board etc, etc... He verified it as one of approximately 12-15 factory IIC++ heads ever produced. He said they were basically only sold to artists. Mine was artist owned and used on recordings and on tours.

psychodave":3a4hl60m said:
I chatted with Mike for years...I have a friend who is really close friends with him (been over to his house, etc) and it is no secret the Mike is at the end of his career.

How dare you Dave! You're only posting that to help hype up the resale value of those secret Mesa long heads you're hoarding. :LOL: :LOL:

I keed I keed! :scared:

Sorry, not here to post pics-- I wish I was--, I just wanted to say that the 2C+(+) clips I've heard are something else... perhaps my favourite high gain tone ever. And I'm really not a Boogie guy. Is it possible to send a 2C+ to Mesa and still have it modded to ++ specs these days? Really would love to own one someday.

The long heads were probably made to accommodate the coliseum which makes sense. I tried finding anything about the difference between the short and long and literally EXPcustom is the only one hyping it up. Everyone else says there is no difference.

He obviously loves being the one with the rare artist owned amps that are impossible to get.

And yeah I remember these guys hyping up that Mike B was retiring years ago just to sell those $3000 eq racks.. :LOL: :LOL:

Edit:

And after just looking at the layout of my short head iic++ and my mark iii coli long head, the first pre amp tube on both are located exaclty tight up next to the output transformer.

RedPlated":34szynh9 said:
I have a factory IIC++ Simul class long head. Presence on front, ALL original. Very rare. Basically identical to the one Hetfield used. Only difference being mine has a smaller "Boogie" logo.

I called Mike B and talked to him about mine. I sent him pics of the serial, chassis, board etc, etc... He verified it as one of approximately 12-15 factory IIC++ heads ever produced. He said they were basically only sold to artists. Mine was artist owned and used on recordings and on tours.

Yes, pics PLEASE !!

ik0xDDA.jpg

here is #14167. late run long head in white with matching 4x12 i had this for a while, a sold it here i think.
which one of you has it now?

Whowantsamustache":1bcor9u1 said:
The long heads were probably made to accommodate the coliseum which makes sense. I tried finding anything about the difference between the short and long and literally EXPcustom is the only one hyping it up. Everyone else says there is no difference.

He obviously loves being the one with the rare artist owned amps that are impossible to get.

And yeah I remember these guys hyping up that Mike B was retiring years ago just to sell those $3000 eq racks.. :LOL: :LOL:

Edit:

And after just looking at the layout of my short head iic++ and my mark iii coli long head, the first pre amp tube on both are located exaclty tight up next to the output transformer.

+1000000 Indeed.

This is what the extra $2-3000 for a long chassis buys you:

giphy.gif

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :yes: :yes: :yes:

no difference, except its cooler to have one more knob on the front that you don't have to reach in the back for.
if he is trying to sell it as different tone wise just for being a long head, he is making it up.

Sure the debate will go on but I just wanted a appreciation thread for an amp that is rarely seen. BTW Jim, very nice of you to share. Your amp rocks brother thank you :thumbsup:

Whowantsamustache":281hqckg said:

I had one of those EQ’s and have since sold it. They were expensive since they were made with original parts. Original EQ’s and original Mark circuit boards, made by the same person who made Metallica’s. Outside of Metallica, I only know of 8 that we’re made for public consumption.

That custom EQ is incredible. Made those modded Triaxis preamps sounds like a real amp head.

Back