Mesa MKIIc+ Longheads

NewWorldMan":39cnfwhq said:
Racerxrated":39cnfwhq said:
NewWorldMan":39cnfwhq said:
braintheory":39cnfwhq said:
Has anyone here actually compared a long and short head side by side, where everything else is the same except long vs short?

Yes...

https://ibb.co/g0m9Zd
What are your thoughts on the tonal differences, if any, between the two?

I usually don't weigh in too much on the shit storm posts (or at all)... :LOL: :LOL: , but I'll chime in with my $0.02 on some things mentioned in the thread.

In regards to the Mesa rack EQs mentioned here, Dave is on point. High dollar, but worth the money and exactly as advertised. There's only a handful made that don't reside in Metallica HQ. I didn't buy mine on a forum. I purchased mine directly from Mike when he offered me one. Wasn't something I was seeking out, didn't realize I needed it, but don't regret it and can't imagine it not being in my rack now.

In regards to IIC+ heads, I had a few back in the day, then moved on over the years (most folks know I'm a huge Recto fan). I got a great deal one day many years later on an '85 Mark III (no stripe, 105 PT), and that rekindled my interest in the IIC+ again. So, I started seeking them out.

At one point, I had three '85 Mark III (no stripe, 105 PT) heads and I went through about 20+ or so IIC+ heads trying them all out looking for a few to keep. John Pace here probably remembers me seemingly getting a new one every week... :D I lost count, but know at one stage I had at least 7 of them stacked up side by side for comparison.

My personal favorites ended up being Simul-Class models with the 105 PT. I can say I could tell no differences because something was a short or long head. But, I can also say that no two sounded exactly alike, even with the same tubes. It's just the nature of old amps. They all age differently.

I ended up keeping a pair I liked best (pictured above), one short head, one long head. The long head is actually now a ++. If I only kept one of them, I'd probably keep the short head C+. It's been my favorite C+ I've owned. As much as I love the ++, there's something special (to me) with that standard C+ running a 6L6/EL34 mix.

As for the value, I think some people would be surprised. I personally would not pay the money being asked these days for some of the C+ heads, but I've had numerous offers on mine over time, and almost exclusive interest has been on the long head. I don't personally value it as anything more than the short head, but I recently (within the last 2 months) had a local cash offer of $5k for it.
Well that settles it for me...no inherent consistent difference between long/short heads, just the normal differences between each and every amp out there of the same model.
Short, long...they're all C+s.
:rock:

Racerxrated":oodcueef said:
NewWorldMan":oodcueef said:
Racerxrated":oodcueef said:
NewWorldMan":oodcueef said:
braintheory":oodcueef said:
Has anyone here actually compared a long and short head side by side, where everything else is the same except long vs short?

Yes...

https://ibb.co/g0m9Zd
What are your thoughts on the tonal differences, if any, between the two?

I usually don't weigh in too much on the shit storm posts (or at all)... :LOL: :LOL: , but I'll chime in with my $0.02 on some things mentioned in the thread.

In regards to the Mesa rack EQs mentioned here, Dave is on point. High dollar, but worth the money and exactly as advertised. There's only a handful made that don't reside in Metallica HQ. I didn't buy mine on a forum. I purchased mine directly from Mike when he offered me one. Wasn't something I was seeking out, didn't realize I needed it, but don't regret it and can't imagine it not being in my rack now.

In regards to IIC+ heads, I had a few back in the day, then moved on over the years (most folks know I'm a huge Recto fan). I got a great deal one day many years later on an '85 Mark III (no stripe, 105 PT), and that rekindled my interest in the IIC+ again. So, I started seeking them out.

At one point, I had three '85 Mark III (no stripe, 105 PT) heads and I went through about 20+ or so IIC+ heads trying them all out looking for a few to keep. John Pace here probably remembers me seemingly getting a new one every week... :D I lost count, but know at one stage I had at least 7 of them stacked up side by side for comparison.

My personal favorites ended up being Simul-Class models with the 105 PT. I can say I could tell no differences because something was a short or long head. But, I can also say that no two sounded exactly alike, even with the same tubes. It's just the nature of old amps. They all age differently.

I ended up keeping a pair I liked best (pictured above), one short head, one long head. The long head is actually now a ++. If I only kept one of them, I'd probably keep the short head C+. It's been my favorite C+ I've owned. As much as I love the ++, there's something special (to me) with that standard C+ running a 6L6/EL34 mix.

As for the value, I think some people would be surprised. I personally would not pay the money being asked these days for some of the C+ heads, but I've had numerous offers on mine over time, and almost exclusive interest has been on the long head. I don't personally value it as anything more than the short head, but I recently (within the last 2 months) had a local cash offer of $5k for it.
Well that settles it for me...no inherent consistent difference between long/short heads, just the normal differences between each and every amp out there of the same model.
Short, long...they're all C+s.
:rock:
Even if the long/short head thing makes some difference it sounds like the other variables of different iic+’s matter so much more. Either way, I’d probably still take the worst sounding iic+’s over all the other mark series amps except maybe the early no stripes or a mark iic

NewWorldMan":1t6kcdvj said:
psychodave":1t6kcdvj said:
I knew you had 4-5 at one time. Didn’t know you went through 20 of them. :LOL: :LOL:

$5k. Take it and run. :D

John told me the same thing :LOL: :LOL: I was ready to pull the trigger and dump it, but ended up keeping it. Sad part is I partially kept it because I've been through so much damn gear, I really have no idea what I'd even spend the money on. I've kept a short list of things I like and don't really need/want much else (blasphemy, I know). I figured money or not, may as well keep something I know I like.

Good decision. I’m down to a few amps and doubt I’d take $10k for some of them. The tone chase is costly and time consuming. I don’t have the energy to start it up again if I were to sell off one of my gems. :LOL: :LOL:

Did he hurt your feelings, I didn't know feelings were part of this thread. Jason, this is the time to re-post your crybaby face, that was classic hahaha

I wonder why that long head on eBay hasn’t sold yet. I mean it’s the holiest of grails for iic+ amps. Don’t people know that the Reverb control is on the front? That would do it for me. I mean I am always tweaking the damn Reverb knob :doh: :dunno:

Whowantsamustache":28c8kwvu said:
So in conclusion long heads are a big nothing burger, and Expcustom is the real commie.

Each according to his need, comrade. If I remember correctly you were shit talking another member for selling an eq for 3k in this thread.... :scared:

I for one applaud Mike B and whoever else was able to get the EQ made in the first place and I admire the fact they got 3k for it, I hope they do another run. :thumbsup:

You're the one advocating same price for all heads, apparently EQs and anything else you FEEL is overpriced. :thumbsdown:

Since you're so right wing isn't that what you hate? People making choices based on emotion and feelings? People complaining about the high cost of...whatever? People that hate Wall Street and all those greedy businessmen profiting off of you know... the market? Demanding .gov get involved and "regulate" all these profits? :confused:

Yet thread after thread you're shit posting people getting a Ferrari, getting x amount for an amp or getting five figures for a Black Machine. :confused:

I do believe I stated twice in this thread that the IIC+ heads vary too much from each one regardless of options. Also this is one member's opinion and I can tell you right off the bat I respect this members opinion and I know he goes through as much maybe more gear than I do but what he thinks sounds good differs completely from what I think sounds good. I'm not going to shit talk him or make personal attacks against him because his opinion is different from mine. :cry:

The price could be $10,000. I don’t give a shit. And where did I say anything about regulating any price?

I am simply pointing out the fact that you don’t know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to amp design and that somehow the long head is superior in tone because of the extra few inches.

Go back to playing your artist replica rigs and cork sniffing to infinity and beyond.

exo-metal":3t17gdod said:
Post pics here for the upmost rare amps made :rawk:
No conversions please...
This will be my attempt to get this thread back due to the overwhelming will of some peoples kids(not Jason) who want to make this about their feelings, the TGP is well known for this type of behavior but not here. So, I have to self quote :rawk:
THIS IS HOW THE THREAD STARTED AND I PREFER IT TO CONTINUE.

Whowantsamustache":3fg5cj2e said:
The price could be $10,000. I don’t give a shit. And where did I say anything about regulating any price?

I am simply pointing out the fact that you don’t know what the hell you are talking about when it comes to amp design and that somehow the long head is superior in tone because of the extra few inches.

Go back to playing your artist replica rigs and cork sniffing to infinity and beyond.

Seriously, do you even own any gear? I mean do you have any pics or clips or anything that you share? :confused:

All you do is shit talk people selling or buying gear that you FEEL is over priced, yet at the same time you don't contribute much except to shit post other people who's opinion is different than yours. You claim to be this super conservative yet you shit talk anyone who maybe doing financially well or selling high end gear.

Seriously think about what you're saying, I agree and just leave the forum and stop sharing info about rare gear and cool shit I come across because I am a cork sniffer. You stay and contribute what you contribute... Does the forum about guitar gear really benefit from that and you?

Last thing is sorry TJ, Exo-Metal for side tracking your thread, in fact I'm looking for some long head pics to post here.

EXPcustom":109eknt7 said:
Whowantsamustache":109eknt7 said:

Seriously, do you even own any gear? I mean do you have any pics or clips or anything that you share? :confused:

All you do is shit talk people selling or buying gear that you FEEL is over priced, yet at the same time you don't contribute much except to shit post other people who's opinion is different than yours. You claim to be this super conservative yet you shit talk anyone who maybe doing financially well or selling high end gear.

Seriously think about what you're saying, I agree and just leave the forum and stop sharing info about rare gear and cool shit I come across because I am a cork sniffer. You stay and contribute what you contribute... Does the forum about guitar gear really benefit from that and you?

Last thing is sorry TJ, Exo-Metal for side tracking your thread, in fact I'm looking for some long head pics to post here.

Do I own any gear? Well if you read my previous posts fully, instead of just scanning them for criticism about your opinion on superior tone, you would have read that I have a short head iic++ and a long head mark iii coli. There is more but you don’t need to know about it atm.

So stop smoking crack with Mark and build some CCV’s and maybe give people their damn amps that they actually paid for and never got. Or maybe just keep selling knobs and kemper profiles.

To my comments above, I'm just one random ass with an opinion... :LOL: :LOL: Doesn't make me right or wrong. It's just my personal observations and perspective based on my experiences. I'd encourage everyone to try them (if possible) and form their own conclusions. If someone disagrees and views it differently, that's great. We all don't have to perceive things the same way.

Buy what you like, pay what it's worth to you, and like it for whatever reasons you see fit.

exo-metal":39cd5st9 said:
Oh fuck me I tried :doh:

I do apologize TJ I shouldn't get involved with the LCD of this site. These guys that claim to own one or two amps have it all figured out and can't even post pics becuase their Obama phone service doesn't include data transfer in the plan. :LOL: :LOL:

These are my friend's pics but one I currently own and the other was a factory C++ confirmed by Mike B not an upgrade

RXTsTgQl.jpg

5hsRWzFl.jpg

NewWorldMan":1hn5pw6o said:
To my comments above, I'm just one random ass with an opinion... :LOL: :LOL: Doesn't make me right or wrong. It's just my personal observations and perspective based on my experiences. I'd encourage everyone to try them (if possible) and form their own conclusions. If someone disagrees and views it differently, that's great. We all don't have to perceive things the same way.

Buy what you like, pay what it's worth to you, and like it for whatever reasons you see fit.

By the way just so you know I respect your opinion although I don't agree with it time from time but your info has been a valuable asset to these forums so I just want to let you know you're awesome. :thumbsup:

First off clown shoes I have way more than 2 amps. Second why would I post pictures, I don’t have a iic+ unicorn head.

Lastly , why don’t you take all that money you gots and make some CCVs and put your money where your mouth is.

Oh I forgot you and Mark just love smoking crack and eating frozen pizzas too much.

:LOL: :LOL:

I think you sold this for $3,000 only 18 months ago? Joe has it.[/quote]

STALKER! :scared:

Something like that. a little longer ago, a little more money, but yeah.

The story with that amp... any gear freaks dream come true.
One day i walked into guitar center to get strings, and i see that white c+ half stack sitting there in the loud room with a 2,499 price tag for the whole thing. I run over, and start eyeing it up and down in disbelief.
The sales guy comes up, and before he says anything i go "i'd be stupid to not walk out of here with that", and i just handed him my credit card.
I had to replace one cap on the low mid eq fader, after a mike b phone call, because it was popping loud when the fader moved above half way, other than that, it was all stock, and in like new condition. I kept it for a while, but i had 2 small kids and lots of debt at the time, so sadly, had to sell it all off. I put out the feeler, someone here made me an offer, and that was that. :cry: That amp is a monster.

Back