In Praise of the Diezel Big Max

severinsteel

So, I'm a Marshall guy. My favorite tones come from single channel Marshalls; my model of choice being the 2204 with a pedal in front. I also have a metal panel 4 hole JMP from 75'. My main live amp is a late 70's Marshall 2204 JMP, modded with an FX Loop (I have no idea who did the mod). I have been wanting something as an alternative/ backup in case the Marshall ended up in the shop. As soon as I saw Winter NAMM 2016 footage of the Diezel Big Max, my interest was piqued. 50 watts, single channel, bright switch, FX loop; all of the features were there. Long story short, about a year and a half later, I took the plunge on a Big Max for a great deal in the Emporium.

Basically, the Big Max is a Diezel/ Marshall 2204 hybrid. It has that dry tightness that Diezel is known for, but in a familiar single channel 50 watt format, very much like the 2204. At one I point owned a VH-4, so I am very familiar with the Diezel that sound. But, the Big Max is much more open and less compressed than any channel of the VH-4. It still has some of that Diezel compression, but it's much more subdued and more natural. The Big Max also a lot darker than the typical Marshall. But, you can compensate with the Presence and Treble, as well as the bright switch.

For my uses, I run the gain at about 10 o'clock, and boost it with a overdrive pedal. My pedal of choice for the Big Max and my Marshalls is the Barber Super Sport. It definitely get's the amp in modded Marshall territory gainwise, but with that Diezel feel and attack.

The FX loop is also awesome. I run my old Boss delays in it with no problems at all.

Anyway, for those of you looking at this amp, I hope this helps. Also, feel free to message me if you want more info.

Good review! I've been interested in this since they announced it. It sounds like it's got more gain going on than at least my first impression. I'm sure it's built like a tank, too. I love the simplicity of this one. Although I've never played a Paul, it seems like it's got a more open, natural sound to it, too. One thing's for sure, Diezel makes some of the best amps around. Once you get one, you pretty much want the rest of them. :yes:

Any possibility of getting a clip together? I'd love to hear it!

ChurchHill":26nrucvs said:
Good review! I've been interested in this since they announced it. It sounds like it's got more gain going on than at least my first impression. I'm sure it's built like a tank, too. I love the simplicity of this one. Although I've never played a Paul, it seems like it's got a more open, natural sound to it, too. One thing's for sure, Diezel makes some of the best amps around. Once you get one, you pretty much want the rest of them. :yes:

Any possibility of getting a clip together? I'd love to hear it!

Yep, I'll definitely get something together next week!

crankyrayhanky":1s0aivdh said:
Great review!
Did you use it on the recording that is upcoming?

I didn't get a chance. I bought the amp a few months after we finished the album. By the way, I updated my signature with the new single. :)

Congrats!! Diezels are something else. I will own another someday; maybe another Herbert or Dmoll possibly. I almost pulled the trigger like 3-4 times on a Lil Fokker;wish I had :(

I liked it too. But like all diezel the eq is too flat for my taste. Been playing marshall for too long.

peterc52":2bku4dez said:
I liked it too. But like all diezel the eq is too flat for my taste. Been playing marshall for too long.

Yeah, I’m also very much used to the super bright Marshall EQ. I think the Big Max excells when you use pedals with it. I really dig it.

severinsteel":2g2nde54 said:
crankyrayhanky":2g2nde54 said:
Great review!

I didn't get a chance. I bought the amp a few months after we finished the album. By the way, I updated my signature with the new single. :)

Cool tune. The guitars sound great!

crankyrayhanky":1eynyu0e said:
severinsteel":1eynyu0e said:
crankyrayhanky":1eynyu0e said:
Great review!

Cool tune. The guitars sound great!

Thanks man! ?

The Big Max sounds like it's right up my alley. Less is more with my pedal board these days. :) it's a tad cost prohibitive but looks amazing.

shred-o-holic":1rd6h3jn said:
The Big Max sounds like it's right up my alley. Less is more with my pedal board these days. :) it's a tad cost prohibitive but looks amazing.

Yeah, I’d definitely try and find one used. I got mine for $1,500, which I felt was very fair.

Back