P90s, please school me.

errrrrl

Since the beginning of the year I've been gassing for a guitar with P90s. Not sure what it is, I've never been even remotely interested in P90s before or even played a guitar with them in it... I think I read somewhere early Sabbath was all P90s and I see doom bands seem to gravitate to P90s too. I have lots of guitars none with P90s. Did a butt ton of research and came to the conclusion that an SG with P90s is what I want.

So I see a local craiglist ad for a 2010 Gibson SG Classic with P90s, fat neck how I like em and is taking trades... email back and forth and i'm debating on trading my Friedman Pink Taco for this guitar that I've built up in my head as something I got to have...

So tell me RT bros whats the deal with P90s? I play mainly high gain and normally very tight and thrashy stuff but have a love for old Sabbath and more modern doom/stoner bands. What do you guys think, is it worth adding to the collection? Looking for advice, thanks!

I've had a Yamaha Revstar with p90s for about 2 years. I don't play it a lot but sometimes I want that sound and it's there for me when I need it. A while back I was thinking of replacing the bridge pickup with a mini humbucker then reminded myself why I got the guitar in the first place.

IMO it is worth adding a p90 loaded guitar to your collection.

I had sg with p90 in the late 70's
I regret selling it. When I had custom mahogany tele made I had sd p rails put in. I really like the p 90 settings. You realize there is more noise and hum but I enjoy the tone. Watch some examples of p rails on youtube.
Mrhiwatt

P90s have a snappy midrange to them, which lends well to lighter to medium gain rock..classic rock is what I think of when I've used them in the past. Had a USA Hamer Tele with P90s.
That's not to say they wouldn't work with heavy stuff, I played AIC and Tool with that guitar, albeit years ago.

I played a Guild Bluesbird back in the early 90s with P90s in it, LOVED that guitar, but more for classic rock and blues type stuff. Johnny Depp uses a P90 loaded fiddle through a Diezel in Hollywood Vampires FWIW.

currently have 3 axes with P90s. I love 'em. They're extremely versatile.

Just be ready to deal with the noise. Like most single coils, The noise is part of they're tonal character. Stacked or humbucking versions do not sound the same.

I like 'em....a lot. They're raw and guttural. I've got a set in a R6 and they're smoking through everything from bluesy riffs and noodling to raunchy high-gain stuff. They're unpolished and rough sounding - they've got bite - and there's a real sweet tone to them that's not Fender style single coil, and not that higher end hourglass feel of a PAF style pup. They're just meaty and grinding. Only thing is - yes - they hum... So be it.

Love me some P90s... Nothing else sounds quite the same. And I put mine through a variety of amps - they just sound "different and good".

Just FWIW, I have a 2007 Gibson SG Classic with P90s and IIRC, it was under $1000 new. Not sure, but I'd think your Pink Taco might be worth more. Anyway...

I love P90s, too. I'm still a humbucker guy at heart, but have a great appreciation for a good Strat or Tele. P90s are the like combination of the best parts of all. They can be huge and thick like HBs, but still have the air of a Strat and the bite of a Tele. I've tried stock Gibsons, Duncans, Fralins, and Lollars, but my personal favorite is the BKP Nantucket. Their Supermassive is really nice, too.

I'm sure you know, but as another option, there are a lot of options for P90s housed in a standard humbucker mount.

My dream P90 guitar is an early '60s Gibson SG Junior, preferably in white, but cherry's pretty nice, too. I've wanted one since seeing Shot in the Dark. One of these days...

Man I posted this a while back. Yamaha P90 loaded Revstar into a Dirty Shirley and DS112. I thought it sounded killer. Just mucking about at Guitar Center.

Thanks guys, P90 gas is thru the roof now lol. I think i'm gonna go for it.

@ChurchHill yeah I think my taco is worth a bit more too. Still not even sure I want to part with it. I'm definitely a gear hoarder :LOL: :LOL:

JerEvil":xua3xgdn said:
Man I posted this a while back. Yamaha P90 loaded Revstar into a Dirty Shirley and DS112. I thought it sounded killer. Just mucking about at Guitar Center.

Damn Jer that did sound thick and heavy... Revstar huh? hmmm

Ventura":1qlir1zk said:
I like 'em....a lot. They're raw and guttural. I've got a set in a R6 and they're smoking through everything from bluesy riffs and noodling to raunchy high-gain stuff. They're unpolished and rough sounding - they've got bite - and there's a real sweet tone to them that's not Fender style single coil, and not that higher end hourglass feel of a PAF style pup. They're just meaty and grinding. Only thing is - yes - they hum... So be it.

Love me some P90s... Nothing else sounds quite the same. And I put mine through a variety of amps - they just sound "different and good".
I can always count on you Mo to tell it like it is *shaka* :thumbsup:

I recently heard one of THE BEST sounding guitars I've ever heard: a James Trussart LP-style (not the steel-bodied model) with Arcane P90s in it. With all due respects to Trussart's (expen$ive) guitars.... I can't help but to think the Arcane P90 is a bad-a*s pickup that I must have in a guitar soon.

I've been curious about Arcane pickups for awhile now, I also hear that the Lindy Frailin P90s are awesome.

So now its gone from gassing for a P90 SG OR a Les Paul Junior/Special. Anybody ever tried both? I'm guessing they would sound similar or pretty close at least.

errrrrl":25qr0h5b said:
I've been curious about Arcane pickups for awhile now, I also hear that the Lindy Frailin P90s are awesome.

So now its gone from gassing for a P90 SG OR a Les Paul Junior/Special. Anybody ever tried both? I'm guessing they would sound similar or pretty close at least.
I’d buy an older LP Deluxe and swap out the mini humbuckers for some P90s, same size route.

paulyc":12u8p6f2 said:
errrrrl":12u8p6f2 said:

I’d buy an older LP Deluxe and swap out the mini humbuckers for some P90s, same size route.
Those minis are sweet too...

Wayniac3":2vbt8qck said:
paulyc":2vbt8qck said:
errrrrl":2vbt8qck said:

Those minis are sweet too...
Yes they are, I only mentioned it because this thread is about P90s, and it’s the same size route, can go either way. The old LP Pro had P90s and an ebony fretboard, they come up on eBay from time to time.

Back