What speakers for this old 50s amplifier

BluesyBlues

Greetings fellows, my first post.

Iam renovating this old instrument/music amplifier made by Norwegian Radionette in the 50s. Its around 20w. For the renovation my focus is to make it sound as clean as possible. I have an amp doctor to do that job, so that is the easy part.

Iam going to use it with a selfmade open back cabinet 2x10", but I have no clue what speakers to put in the cabinet.
Could anyone suggest speakers, the sound I look for is fender`ish/blues sound?

I looks very cool, so I would also invest in some painting and new knobs and make it match with the cabinet.

Attachments

• amp1.jpg
    amp1.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 266
  • amp3.jpg
    amp3.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 268
  • amp2.jpg
    amp2.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 257
That's freakin' cool!! To me, that practically begs for an alnico speaker. Given its age, that's what most speakers were still using then.

For speakers, I'd suggest something by Weber. For Fender-like blues sounds, their Signature Series alnico 10"s are really good. I've used them in an old Champ and a reissue Bassman. They have 2 models, one with a smooth cone that stays cleaner and is more aggressive and another with a ribbed cone that breaks up earlier and is more mid-focused. In my Bassman, I used 2 of each and for your 2x10, I'd recommend doing the same thing, 1 of each.

They also have a Vintage Series with both alnico and ceramic options and varying levels of power handling. In general, these are based on the Jensen, CTS, and Eminence speakers that Fender was using in the 50s and 60s. From this series, I'd recommend the variations of the 10A125s or 10A150s. The difference is in magnet size, which is going to effect how loud they are and how much and how tight the bass is. There are variations with smooth and ribbed cones, as above, as well as a few hemp cones and some British cones.

They have a High Power Series, too, but if you're looking for more of a vintage Fender sound, that's probably not what you're looking for. These are great speakers, though, and will be clean and punchy, much more of a Hi-Fi sound.

Anyway, there are a lot of choices and other companies that make great speakers, too. This is just where I'd start my search.

Good luck in finding something to give a voice to that killer vintage amp!! That thing is just so freakin' cool... Congrats!!

https://www.tedweber.com/

Thanks a lot ChurchHill ,

Yes its freaking cool, imagine with a blue jewel light and a matching cabinet and a couple of stomp boxes a dark night.
I will send pictures when its finished, but I would probably need this year..perhaps more time.

Anyway that information you got was what I needed to navigate in the speaker jungel.
I will study your recommondations and the tedweber site.
To mix the signature series sounds like a good choice, if they have a wattage that would be a good match, I have to think about that the speakers should sound good without playing so loud also.

A went for the 2x10 cab because a ampdoctor told we it was a good match for a amp like this, and I do not have any 2x10 in my arsenal.
But it will also be "Christmas eve" to test it for the first time on my Engl 4x12 Professional with celestion vintage installed.

:thumbsup:

Back