Dime really was the best.

What do you mean you started listening to "more extreme metal" and stopped listening to Pantera? What is more extreme than Pantera?

Bloodrock":3aoano0a said:
Love Dime forever. I just hate seeing what a horribly fake person Phil turned into over the years. Used to be a cool guy. Guess he burned out and started believing his own bullshit tough-guy persona. Bet he cries in his pillow every night. Dude has serious issues. Lol
Yea I'm with you on that. Every time I see him talking about Dime I get this sense that he's just so full of shit.

slyym":1urdqpeg said:
Bloodrock":1urdqpeg said:
Love Dime forever. I just hate seeing what a horribly fake person Phil turned into over the years. Used to be a cool guy. Guess he burned out and started believing his own bullshit tough-guy persona. Bet he cries in his pillow every night. Dude has serious issues. Lol
Yea I'm with you on that. Every time I see him talking about Dime I get this sense that he's just so full of shit.
Me too. Phil is a shifty fuck.

Bloodstorm":3d3vg66a said:
What do you mean you started listening to "more extreme metal" and stopped listening to Pantera? What is more extreme than Pantera?

Idk if I could say Pantera was completely mainstream. Imo for metal they were. Even though they kept it heavy, never changed for the labels and always did their thing there were tons of underground bands, even back then that made Pantera seem not so extreme.

Solstice, Deicide, Emperor, Cradle of Filth, Suffocation, etc. Tons of late 80s/early 90s bands were out who were way more extreme then Pantera at the time. Some of these bands I still listen to and love but more extreme doesn't necessarily equal better. For me a well written and meaningful song will have more of a lasting impact and is a completely different skill set then seeing how extreme you can get. Pantera kind of had both.

Not a Pantera fan, but you cannot deny how good of player and person Dime was. Such a shame he was taken way before his time. RIP.

I understand what you guys mean when you say "heavier" or "more extreme" but to me, bands like Pantera are just heavier. Same thing with Black Sabbath. To me, Sabbath on an acoustic is heavier than anything that will ever be created. It just is one of those things that is.

One other thing that I thought was cool is how Dime had this relationship with Rita since childhood and he never wavered from that. He could have easily have been dating models, etc. like rock stars do but he stayed close with his girl, stayed close with his brother, etc. Like that video that maddnotez posted, you can see how cool he was. Just approachable and a rock star. Guys like him are true rock stars in my opinion. Someone who knows they own everyone on guitar but never let it go to their head. They still want to jam with folks and just enjoy life. That is what made his death so sad. Same thing with Cliff Burton. These guys were so great and just went away too soon.

danyeo":1y8aa90v said:
Yngwie must be really good if he's ALWAYS used as a comparison barometer.
He is indeed amazing. I'm sure theres tons of stuff he did that Dime wouldn't have been able to do but everything I've heard from him was just shred or classical. Amazing stuff but I agree with the statement.

maddnotez":dewhyin2 said:
danyeo":dewhyin2 said:
He is indeed amazing. I'm sure theres tons of stuff he did that Dime wouldn't have been able to do but everything I've heard from him was just shred or classical. Amazing stuff but I agree with the statement.
There's a bluesy heavy rock compilation out there that shows Yngwie's soulful side. He could play anything, and with feeling like Dime or other greats. He's not just shred or classical, far from it. He could be a serious arrogant prick, and it sounds like Dime couldn't be if he tried.
But let's hold off a bit on trashing YJM. I'll put it this way...Dime, as great as he was probably couldn't pull off some of what YJM was able to do...but I'd bet my bottom dollar that YJM could play anything that Dime wrote.
No offense to Dime, great player and a cool guy. But YJM is considered by many to be second only to EVH when it comes to influencing some GREAT players. There's a reason for that. The whole neo classical wave that gave us Paul Gilbert etc were all inspired by YJM.

And Rhoads, and Blackmore... YJM took it to another level, though. :)

Edit: Just my opinion, but metal wouldn't exist today if it wasn't for Dime.

I need to see the Malmsteen blues you mention. I have never went out of my way to get deep into his stuff so I haven't heard the compilation but i went to YT and searched Yngwie blues and this popped up. Made me chuckle. He held out a blues bend then immediately went to shred mode.

Havent finished the vid yet but was funny.

Awesome video ^^^ definitely some blues in there but it's like he cant stop himself from going off the deep end. Guy is amazing and yeah, better than Dime concerning runs and shred scales/modes and probably more but it's a different skill to me. Dimes songwriting and meaning was just a lot more to me.

Racerxrated":y0q03azq said:
maddnotez":y0q03azq said:
danyeo":y0q03azq said:
There's a bluesy heavy rock compilation out there that shows Yngwie's soulful side. He could play anything, and with feeling like Dime or other greats. He's not just shred or classical, far from it. He could be a serious arrogant prick, and it sounds like Dime couldn't be if he tried.
But let's hold off a bit on trashing YJM. I'll put it this way...Dime, as great as he was probably couldn't pull off some of what YJM was able to do...but I'd bet my bottom dollar that YJM could play anything that Dime wrote.
No offense to Dime, great player and a cool guy. But YJM is considered by many to be second only to EVH when it comes to influencing some GREAT players. There's a reason for that. The whole neo classical wave that gave us Paul Gilbert etc were all inspired by YJM.

As great as Yngwie was I remember going to see him and I went with a bunch of non-guitar players. They were bored as shit after 3 or 4 songs, actually they were just drinking, talking at the bar, goofing off. This was probably mid 90's and at that point Yngwie brand of Dungeons and Dragons rock was extremely old fashioned sounding at that point. But that group of people I went with would still be into Iron Maiden, Ozzy, or Priest, etc. Yngwie was probably too good...for his own good. Maybe if he sucked a little more at playing leads he would have written better overall, less cheesy music? :confused:

Let's not forget about Chuck who had more vision, ingenuity, execution, humility and overall whole package talent than anyone mentioned in this thread...

romanianreaper":39qvrvba said:
I understand what you guys mean when you say "heavier" or "more extreme" but to me, bands like Pantera are just heavier. Same thing with Black Sabbath. To me, Sabbath on an acoustic is heavier than anything that will ever be created. It just is one of those things that is.

One other thing that I thought was cool is how Dime had this relationship with Rita since childhood and he never wavered from that. He could have easily have been dating models, etc. like rock stars do but he stayed close with his girl, stayed close with his brother, etc. Like that video that maddnotez posted, you can see how cool he was. Just approachable and a rock star. Guys like him are true rock stars in my opinion. Someone who knows they own everyone on guitar but never let it go to their head. They still want to jam with folks and just enjoy life. That is what made his death so sad. Same thing with Cliff Burton. These guys were so great and just went away too soon.
Well said!

Dime could play anything Ed ever played note for note as well as many other guitar styles. Ed’s a one trick pony.

Dime was rally good at sounding like SRV when he was warming up before a Damageplan show. He was showing off his new Kranks while the "Best Dude' was making drinks for the audience at Dime's direction! At least 3 rounds of multiple 7&7's pitchers pouring it into whoever wanted it straight down their throats during Dime's warm-up.

comparing EVH, Dime and Yngwie... who's next?

Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Back