Dime really was the best.

maddnotez

Banned
Sorry, I just can't stop listening to Pantera. Vulgar was the first one that I heard an bought. It was YEARS ago and seems like a lifetime. I learned how to play guitar with that album but I started getting into more extreme metal and stopped listening to Pantera after a while. When FBD was out I wasn't super into it, (later learned to see how awesome it was). I bought Reinventing the Steel and it was ok, I'll cast a shadow had the best intro out of any Pantera song but meh.

After Vin passed away recently I went back to revisit some of this stuff and damn.... It is almost like rediscovering something so awesome. Hearing all those Vulgar B sides that I had forgotten about. They are so awesome. Pantera was one of the best bands of a generation honestly. The entire band kicked ass, even Phil. Can't stop listening.

One of the best interviews Phil gave on Dime. Can't really say it any better than he does. Everyone likes what they like but Phil is right. Dime has more soul than Yngwie. After learning a bit more about music in general and guitar and going back to some of this gives me a whole new respect for these guys.

I agree with what Phil says in that interview, but damn, to me, it's really sad to see him stoned or whatever he's on like that.

But yeah, Dime was the best. Period. :)

Rex Rocker":3iue5cmb said:
I agree with what Phil says in that interview, but damn, to me, it's really sad to see him stoned or whatever he's on like that.

But yeah, Dime was the best. Period. :)

Yeah It was hard to find a decent interview post 1996 :LOL: :LOL:

I won't speak on anything that happened but I will say regardless of the bad, Phil was also a huge part of Pantera and back in the early days his vocals were among the best.

Love Pantera, I am big fan of Dime's playing up until reinventing the steel.
I just couldn't get into damage plan though.

Oh yes man!!!! Huge Dime fan here. Lets not forget about Power Metal, not as brutal but damn fine album. Crazy riffs and solos. Phil's voice was crazy too!!!! Very Priest like

20180705_232338.jpg

:rock:

irrecplaceable one of a kind
yngwie incited a revolution and a tremendous progression in hard rock guitar
but i'd take dime's entire song writing catalog and attitude any day over yjm's
PLUS
i hung with dime twice and he was one of us
obviously YJM is dick

Dime and Vinny had a swing to their playing that few have. It's what made VH great and what made Pantera great and unique. That is what I disliked about so many of the bands that were influenced by Pantera, they had no swing.

I am an 80's hard rock and metal guy and that is what I grew up on and learned guitar on. With that said, I remember asking for "Cowboys from Hell" for Christmas and being blown away. It was the same feeling as when I heard early raw Metallica or Motley Crue. I remember hearing the beginning loop of "CFH" and being like "what the hell is that?".

Dime is up there with EVH and Tony Iommi and others for me because he did things that other people were not doing in their playing. But it was subtle stuff that stood out. For example, the squealing at the end of "Cemetery Gates" where he is matching Phil's voice or even his simple riff in "Walk". It was easy but just sounds so heavy. His riffs had this percussive sound to them that was just Dime. Unmistakable.

Pantera was not my favorite band but they were up there with all of the bands I really dig. I remember driving home from work and hearing that Dime had been killed and just didn't seem real. It reminded me of when Cliff Burton died and my brain couldn't wrap around it. He was a great guitarist.

megaboogie":3g9avf98 said:
I just pulled my Damageplan CD out last week to revisit it after VPs passing. What a disappointment! Horrible guitar tone, and quite weak playing by Dimes standards. Some songs have potential, but the Corey Taylor type vocals ruin them.

D-Rock":1rxf3cv0 said:
megaboogie":1rxf3cv0 said:
I just pulled my Damageplan CD out last week to revisit it after VPs passing. What a disappointment! Horrible guitar tone, and quite weak playing by Dimes standards. Some songs have potential, but the Corey Taylor type vocals ruin them.

I never got into them. Haven't heard much of them or read a single comment from Dime or Vin about Damageplan so I have no idea what their goal was but I would guess they just wanted to be a separate entity from Pantera in which they succeeded imo.

Me and my drummer been saying this for years.
They did have that ‘swing’ and we called it GROOVE METAL!!
:LOL: :LOL: So catchy hooks and riffs. :rock:

He was one of a kind, first time I heard Cemetery Gates I got goosebumps hearing his lead....

Tough for me to say he was the best though. So subjective.
One of the best for sure.

D-Rock":14s78vr4 said:
megaboogie":14s78vr4 said:
Yeah Damage Plan was a big "no thanks" for me. It's like people were scared to say it wasn't good.

PanterA though... shiiiiiiii..... simply amazing.

Love Dime forever. I just hate seeing what a horribly fake person Phil turned into over the years. Used to be a cool guy. Guess he burned out and started believing his own bullshit tough-guy persona. Bet he cries in his pillow every night. Dude has serious issues. Lol

Ok well one of the best. Everyone has their preference, I just agree with Phil on this topic. Soul over over the top tech stuff but dime had both imo.

Stumbled across this. Just another reason to show how awesome he was.

Back