UA Ox, Two notes Studio or Live thoughts?

rosenedge

I have been looking at the Universal Audio OX or a Two Notes Studio or Live device. Can anyone give me some feedback on either one? Functionality, tone, ease of use. I am leaning more towards the UA Ox based on some reviews I have read but have heard good things about the Two Notes units too. Thanks!

Live is great and the new firmware will let you load dual cabs like the Studio. However, the Studio has better (so I hear) converters. Also the Studio handles 150 watts and more ohm options. I am a HUGE Two Notes fan. Use the Studio in most all my vids.

I have not been a fan of anything past moderate rock tones on the OX

The impedance curve makes or breaks a reactive load box. The Suhr RL is by far my favorite. Even if you have to host the IR's in an additional unit, I'd say it's worth it.

Nitrobattery":13gk5b0v said:
The impedance curve makes or breaks a reactive load box. The Suhr RL is by far my favorite. Even if you have to host the IR's in an additional unit, I'd say it's worth it.
My Suhr RL works well for me but I got to admit... that whole grass is green on the other side thing got me always wondering.

JerEvil":3q9ceig4 said:
Live is great and the new firmware will let you load dual cabs like the Studio.

How do you do that? Is it with the BlendIR program or in the Torpedo Remote software? I just updated the latter and don't see any way to load more than one cab.

Edit: Looks like it's dual mic'ing only and they haven't released that firmware update yet.

Snave":3i45v9af said:
JerEvil":3i45v9af said:
Live is great and the new firmware will let you load dual cabs like the Studio.

How do you do that? Is it with the BlendIR program or in the Torpedo Remote software? I just updated the latter and don't see any way to load more than one cab.

Edit: Looks like it's dual mic'ing only and they haven't released that firmware update yet.
My understanding was dual mics and cabs. Hmmm... I’ve definitely been wrong before though. Either way, dual mics is still awesome and definitely a needed addition imho.

This is all I've seen:

NEW RELEASES for NAMM 2018

We have a Torpedo Live and Torpedo C.A.B. firmware and associated Remote update with the following new features:
- now able to use two microphones on one speaker/cabinet
- doubled IR resolution that raises the max length of the third party IR (WAV files) to 40ms
- new simulation interface

The official release is planned for first quarter 2018, but you can come to our booth 5646 at NAMM and try them first hand.

Plus, we have three exciting new Capture Masters cab packs coming up for you. Announcement follows. Be prepared!

I was having a bit of buyer's remorse over the Torpedo Studio I ordered yesterday but this gives me an odd sense of relief. :LOL: :LOL:

Over the last 5 years, I’ve had the Live, Studio and OX. I started with the Two-Notes Live. It works and sounds great. I sold that and moved to the studio a couple of years back. It was a good unit as well. The stereo IRs were nice to have. Navigating on the front panel when playing live to make some changes is a pain on the STudio. The Live, very easy.

I got the UA OX in Feb and as soon as I plugged it in and changed a few of the settings, I immediately sold my T-Studio. The UA just sounds amazing whether it be running FOH or recording or just practicing quietly at night. I am really happy with it. My BE-50 sounds fantastic with it and I get the tone that I want from it. These days i have been running the UA OX into a Line6 POwerCab + as my personal monitor when playing live. I have been leaving my 212 at home.

PBGas":1gou65ew said:
Over the last 5 years, I’ve had the Live, Studio and OX. I started with the Two-Notes Live. It works and sounds great. I sold that and moved to the studio a couple of years back. It was a good unit as well. The stereo IRs were nice to have. Navigating on the front panel when playing live to make some changes is a pain on the STudio. The Live, very easy.

I got the UA OX in Feb and as soon as I plugged it in and changed a few of the settings, I immediately sold my T-Studio. The UA just sounds amazing whether it be running FOH or recording or just practicing quietly at night. I am really happy with it. My BE-50 sounds fantastic with it and I get the tone that I want from it. These days i have been running the UA OX into a Line6 POwerCab + as my personal monitor when playing live. I have been leaving my 212 at home.
Dang, fueling the grass is greener thoughts in my head lol. So quick question, is using the software via OSX/IOS key to dialing in a good sound or can you get there without it with just the presets? I live in a very Apple free home and the lack of Windows/Android support is honestly the only thing holding me back from trying one.

Snave":3bhd3wnb said:
This is all I've seen:

NEW RELEASES for NAMM 2018

We have a Torpedo Live and Torpedo C.A.B. firmware and associated Remote update with the following new features:
- now able to use two microphones on one speaker/cabinet
- doubled IR resolution that raises the max length of the third party IR (WAV files) to 40ms
- new simulation interface

The official release is planned for first quarter 2018, but you can come to our booth 5646 at NAMM and try them first hand.

Plus, we have three exciting new Capture Masters cab packs coming up for you. Announcement follows. Be prepared!

I was having a bit of buyer's remorse over the Torpedo Studio I ordered yesterday but this gives me an odd sense of relief. :LOL: :LOL:
Me too!

PBGas":3bhd3wnb said:

I am going to have to try and get some hands-on with the Ox. I have yet to hear a clip that made me want to explore further but users seem to like it quite a bit.

JerEvil":327kelyt said:
I am going to have to try and get some hands-on with the Ox. I have yet to hear a clip that made me want to explore further but users seem to like it quite a bit.
Just buy one dude and tell me the ins and outs :LOL: :LOL:

I would love to hear some clips of the Ox with some real gain behind it. Like Jer, I haven't heard any clips that made me want to take a second look. OTOH, I've been using the UAD platform for years and always thought they sounded great (don't use any of their guitar-oriented plugs, though - studio toys only). I have no doubt that the Ox is a good piece of kit, just don't know how it handles the kind of noise I like to make.

ChurchHill":3ka3b8cc said:
I would love to hear some clips of the Ox with some real gain behind it. Like Jer, I haven't heard any clips that made me want to take a second look. OTOH, I've been using the UAD platform for years and always thought they sounded great (don't use any of their guitar-oriented plugs, though - studio toys only). I have no doubt that the Ox is a good piece of kit, just don't know how it handles the kind of noise I like to make.
My buddy’s brother was one of the designers. I was trying to get him to send me one but no dice! Lol! I’d like be to do a side by side with my Studio. Apparently there are still no plans to add new studios, mics, cabs or IR loading. This is per my buddy’s brother. Who knows though.

ChurchHill":1rd8kbwi said:

In the Metal realm, this is the first demo I've seen. It doesn't blow me away, but I can hear potential in the OX.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of the Ox. UA basically putting it out and saying "Here! We ain't planning on adding anything else!" is really surprising. If the software is as advanced and different as they're claiming, you'd think they'd be hard at work capturing new rooms, mics, and cabs to be added in an update. And speaking of cabs, I'm not really a Celestion guy, and I'm REALLY not a Vintage 30 guy, but fucking hell, how can you not include a 4x12 Vintage 30 cab in this!? That's flat out absurd.

Perhaps they're simply seeing how deeply Ox penetrates the market before they proceed.

As to the Two Notes products, I will say that over the past few days, I've FINALLY had a bit of an epiphany and have been finding some very worthwhile tones using Wall Of Sound and several Two Notes cabs and other IRs. I cannot speak to the Live or Studio, but I will say that once I got my other ducks in a row, many of the Two Notes cabs and mics sound simply fantastic and on the whole, slightly better than the other IRs I'm using. (OH, RW, Vallhalir.at, Celestion, and 3Sigma mainly.)

EvilBatman":2t9vbdky said:
ChurchHill":2t9vbdky said:

In the Metal realm, this is the first demo I've seen. It doesn't blow me away, but I can hear potential in the OX.

I'm honestly not sure what to think of the Ox. UA basically putting it out and saying "Here! We ain't planning on adding anything else!" is really surprising. If the software is as advanced and different as they're claiming, you'd think they'd be hard at work capturing new rooms, mics, and cabs to be added in an update. And speaking of cabs, I'm not really a Celestion guy, and I'm REALLY not a Vintage 30 guy, but fucking hell, how can you not include a 4x12 Vintage 30 cab in this!? That's flat out absurd.

Perhaps they're simply seeing how deeply Ox penetrates the market before they proceed.

As to the Two Notes products, I will say that over the past few days, I've FINALLY had a bit of an epiphany and have been finding some very worthwhile tones using Wall Of Sound and several Two Notes cabs and other IRs. I cannot speak to the Live or Studio, but I will say that once I got my other ducks in a row, many of the Two Notes cabs and mics sound simply fantastic and on the whole, slightly better than the other IRs I'm using. (OH, RW, Vallhalir.at, Celestion, and 3Sigma mainly.)
Yeah I am guessing it’s a penetration thing as well. I think not allowing 3rd party IR’s was an odd decision and I’m sure the process of creating their cabs/mics/rooms is insanely complex.

As to the Two Notes cabs, I totally agree. I have yet to play ANY IR’s that I prefer over the TN stuff when recording.

EvilBatman":146338nc said:

Thanks for posting that! I hadn't seen it before. I agree, too, that I'm not blown away. It's not bad, but...

I'm not surprised by UA's strategy with this. Their plugins are great, but they charge for updated versions, and even those have taken years, sometimes. I wouldn't be surprised to see a "new" cab pack available in about a year or so with a price tag of $200-$300. Maybe that works in the studio market, and at least makes a little sense there, but that's not the guitar market. Obviously, they have to pay their bills and have money to develop new products. Still, competing with companies like Two Notes, among others, with the ability to add third-party IRs for a lot less expense. Well, we'll see how it works out for them.

errrrrl":pfgxojcu said:
PBGas":pfgxojcu said:

Dang, fueling the grass is greener thoughts in my head lol. So quick question, is using the software via OSX/IOS key to dialing in a good sound or can you get there without it with just the presets? I live in a very Apple free home and the lack of Windows/Android support is honestly the only thing holding me back from trying one.

Yup...you definitely need to connect it to and IOS or Mac to get the full value from it. That is where you are able to tweak things to what you want to use. I have one setting for when I am at home for recording and a different setting playing live via FOH. They really should get that support for other platforms out soon.

I still use a Two-Notes cab as I think it is a great product. I have in on my direct pedalboard and it works great!

I am betting that they will release some kind of update around Namm. The product won’t have any staying power if they don’t add a few more cabs and settings to it.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have ordered a Universal Audio OX so I will get back with some details and thoughts after I get to try it out.

Back