Finally played some Diezels for the 1st time

littleguitars":1m5gnhb2 said:
Most youtube clips do not do the Paul justice.
Even though I don't own a Paul, I'll agree with this statement. I doubt most clips don't do any of the Diezel amps justice, except the ones done by Diezel themselves.

I say that because I do own a Herbert and it's an amazing amp that is capable of so many more tones than I've ever heard on any clip of it. Again, the one by Diezel comes closest, but it really only scratches the surface. I get that it's not for everyone, nothing is, but I can find a great sound with it for any style that I play, anything from classical to blues to rock to metal to thrash.

I believe that all Diezels are like that, very flexible and very usable. They differ in their tonal spectrum and their feel, but they all sound like Diezels. Even if I didn't like them, I'd respect that just because it seems most amps are just another take on one of just a handful of core sounds (e.g. Marshall, Fender, Boogie, etc.).

I hope that one of these days that I get to play a Paul. I think it'd be a great fit for my style. I think a VH4 would be as well. Honestly, I'm intrigued by the Big Max, too. Well, to be more honest, they all interest me, but for now, I'm more than happy with my Herbert.

peterc52":1z4owfxi said:
Bato":1z4owfxi said:

Not a fan of this. It's ok. But I don't like the sounds Eric steckels got. Too sataurated. And I had a Herbert. Great amp. Doug Rappaport would rip it apart.
Agreed. The Herbert can sound better than in that clip. I think a lot times guys see these kinda clips and enjoy the playing and it can be distracting from focusing just on the tone the amp is putting out

Just received my D Moll at my job!

Holy this thing is heavy at 54lbs!
I am used to carrying 40lbs heads like my DR, MarkIV, etc... Even my Marshall 1974X 1x12 COMBO was only 42 lbs...

Just for fun I googled and found out:

VH4: 47 lbs
VH2: 51 lbs
D Moll: 54 lbs
Herbert: 56 lbs

The D Moll is smaller than the Herbert yet only 2 lbs of a difference.
What surprised me though, the VH2 is actually heavier than the VH4?!

Anyway can't wait to go play it at home. :rock:

Wizard of Ozz":1zcy9zsp said:
The right tool for the job...
^^^^ This... absolutely!

And yeah, that is surprising that the VH2 weighs more than the VH4. I would've thought it'd be close, though. Big iron is worth the weight.

Enjoy that D-Moll!! :rock:

megaboogie":1vqvk5y2 said:

I am used to carrying 40lbs heads like my DR, MarkIV, etc... Even my Marshall 1974X 1x12 COMBO was only 42 lbs...

That surprises me also. I have a D-Moll, and the only other Diezel I've played is an Einstein. The D-Moll is definitely narrower than the "big" Diezels (VH4/Hagen/Herbert), so it is definitely surprising that it's heavier. I wonder why.

ChurchHill":2c5hpfnk said:
Wizard of Ozz":2c5hpfnk said:
^^^^ This... absolutely!

And yeah, that is surprising that the VH2 weighs more than the VH4. I would've thought it'd be close, though. Big iron is worth the weight.

I played my D Moll for about an hour last night.
I know it's too early to say but I am really digging the amp and glad I pulled the trigger. That huge low-mid evil tone with deep bottom end is so addicting.
I was thinking about getting a Diezel 2x12, but then I thought my Boogie cab sounded fine with it. Thinking about getting a footswitch now.

dirtyfunkg":2c5hpfnk said:
megaboogie":2c5hpfnk said:

That surprises me also. I have a D-Moll, and the only other Diezel I've played is an Einstein. The D-Moll is definitely narrower than the "big" Diezels (VH4/Hagen/Herbert), so it is definitely surprising that it's heavier. I wonder why.

I assume the parts they used on the VH2 and D Moll are significantly heavier?
While the VH2 is supposed to be the stripped down version of the VH4, they probably didn't use all the same parts.

megaboogie":2fo792i9 said:
ChurchHill":2fo792i9 said:
Wizard of Ozz":2fo792i9 said:
^^^^ This... absolutely!

I know it's too early to say but I am really digging the amp and glad I pulled the trigger. That huge low-mid evil tone with deep bottom end is so addicting.
I was thinking about getting a Diezel 2x12, but then I thought my Boogie cab sounded fine with it. Thinking about getting a footswitch now.

dirtyfunkg":2fo792i9 said:
megaboogie":2fo792i9 said:

While the VH2 is supposed to be the stripped down version of the VH4, they probably didn't use all the same parts.

Congrats on the D-Moll. Killer amp.

The difference in weight is due to the transformers. The D-Moll uses the same transformers OT/PT as used in the Herbert... the VH2 uses a bigger PT than the VH4. So it weighs more. VH2 looks cool too.

Wizard of Ozz":p7lyjx6q said:
megaboogie":p7lyjx6q said:
ChurchHill":p7lyjx6q said:
Wizard of Ozz":p7lyjx6q said:
^^^^ This... absolutely!

dirtyfunkg":p7lyjx6q said:
megaboogie":p7lyjx6q said:

Congrats on the D-Moll. Killer amp.

The difference in weight is due to the transformers. The D-Moll uses the same transformers OT/PT as used in the Herbert... the VH2 uses a bigger PT than the VH4. So it weighs more. VH2 looks cool too.

Thanks, so it is the transformer and PT? good to know!

peterc52":3rqbe0jr said:
Bato":3rqbe0jr said:

Not a fan of this. It's ok. But I don't like the sounds Eric steckels got. Too sataurated. And I had a Herbert. Great amp. Doug Rappaport would rip it apart.

I'm too lazy to quote everybody who replied to my link :D

Wasn't this the reason for the lifetime discussion, that the Herbert is not saturated enough, way too big low end, not enough upper minds and high end....?

:confused:

Bato":3qqx5g94 said:
peterc52":3qqx5g94 said:
Bato":3qqx5g94 said:

Wasn't this the reason for the lifetime discussion, that the Herbert is not saturated enough, way too big low end, not enough upper minds and high end....?

Haha, never heard of that discussion. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: But for me, the Herbert's eq was too flat. It does sound great but I prefer the VH4/VH2.

I'm definitely going for the VH2 next time

Bato":c0giaxye said:

Nope... never heard of that discussion, either. I get plenty of saturation from my Herbert, the low end isn't too big unless I set it that way, and I get plenty of upper mids and highs. Soooo much of this has to do with cabinets, pickups, and mostly just individual playing styles and preferences. It works for me, but it's not for everybody. That's cool... but don't dismiss it just because somebody posts a clip of someone who doesn't know how to use their gear. It's way too easy to make bad sounding clips of anything.

An acquaintance of mine is in a nationally touring signed band. He is a phenomenal guitar player who’s been using a Diezel Herbert now live for many years. The other guitarist in the band uses Marshall heads (not sure which model but I think either an 8 or 900). Every time I hear them live the Diezel gets lost in the mix while the Marshall is clearly heard.

I’m aware of the many factors associated with creating the overall guitar sound that comes through the PA. However, I’ve heard enough Deizels live to believe it’s difficult to have them cut through in a live mix. Not saying it can’t be done but amps such as a Marshall just seem to have that inherent quality that make them easily jump out in a live mix.

Just my opinion, but I've heard a lot of amps get lost in the mix. I think that, when the guitars are going through the PA, the guitar sound the audience hears is more a function of the mic, the mixer channel EQ, the post processing, and the environment than it is a function of the amp.

Anyway, my original point was that I believe that it's not a good idea to dismiss any amp just because of a video clip. It is really, really easy to make anything sound bad in a clip.

About to be 2 weeks owning the D Moll.
I am still loving the amp :rock: but I still want a VH2 as well... :doh:

iSNms2w.jpg

Got me a footswitch too. It's actually a used Paul footswitch.
I figured it would work fine with the D Moll, the reverb button controlling the mid cut, and Peter confirmed yes.

qO7AeEh.jpg

Back