Have you ever "upgraded" your gear because of a female?

EXPcustom

Serious question, I remember jamming with a few female musicians in the past along as a few instances of girls showing up at a gig that knew "gear". Have you ever upgraded and or not played and or used a piece of gear because you knew a female especially one that was "hot" could be watching or paying attention. :aww:

For example I didn't use or rehearse with a beater sticker filled guitar that may have had vulgar language on it and in all honesty didn't sound that good. :cry: All because I knew a hot chick would be at the "gig".

Also another time I took out a guitar that looked great but didn't sound that good to try an impress a chick I knew was going to be at the party "gig" I was playing at. Since you know... I doubt a hot college age chick would be all "Your clean tone was pitchy and your mids are too scooped on your high gain channel." :LOL: :LOL:

I know since mot of us are well into our/their 30's, 40's, 50's and dare I say 60's... :cry: This question more revolves around back when you or I were in our teen or 20's years.

I mean if you're in your 50's pulling out that Brazillian PRS custom 24 and making the panties drop or "p's melt" like Satch says more power to you. :thumbsup:

I wish I could still do that and I'm almost 40. :cry: :thumbsdown: :doh:

This thread is not about hiding gear or guitars from your wives, I think I will need to bold this. :no:

There should be a separate thread about hiding "gear" or guitar related stuff from your significant other. This is more the young and dumb before married decisions. :LOL: :LOL:

TL:DR version right here. "When you were in your teens or 20's did you use or switch up to the best gear you could find because you knew a hot chick would be at your show?"

We host a lot of house parties.
Got full band set up in my garage.
We play a little set. Then mingle. Then throw down some real tunes. :LOL: :LOL:
Mind you we are all late 40s and older.
I always grab my ESP Custom Kamikaze. :D
Not only do people dig it. It’s probably the greatest sounding axe I’ve had.
And I’ve had ALOT of guitars :LOL: :LOL:
So ya. Think I upgraded for certain reasons.
I got lots of other guitars. But always grab this one.

Nope. Not me, not ever. I ain't upgrading jack squat because of a female. Not my guitar, amp, home, car, or anything else. If what I got isn't good enough for them then they can hit the road! Wait a minute.... Could this be why I'm 42 and never married and never had kids??? :confused:

In all seriousness, no I won't upgrade anything for women or anyone else but for myself. I like what I like and use what I want and that is all that matters to me.

Nope. None of the clubs I've played over the last 30 yrs, up till my last gig last summer had any women who knew anything about gear. They didn't care what I used, although a flashy Charvel USA snakeskin got some comments 3 years ago. When I was gigging in my 20s most of the women would be drunk fairly soon and didn't give a shit either way lol.

I play metal. Hot girls rarely ever came to our shows. So no lol.

I have upgraded gear because my wife tells me to just do it...I work hard and should enjoy my money, and if a new amp or guitar is going to bring me some joy, then go for it, she says.

I have definitely hidden gear from ex-gfs in the past haha.

It's called the "Power of the Pussy". And it is real.

By the way, I find it a bit concerning to refer to a woman as "a female"... They are people, not objects, no matter how they may inspire you to behave.

Nope. In the 80's chicks didn't give a fuck about what you played....only that you were up there shaking your money maker. Then during the early thrash scene,you never saw chicks at shows. We all played beat up gear that got the job done,often just barely.

I didn't have great gear until i was married in the 90's. I buy and sling what impresses me.

Jayy":25s4ntt6 said:
Nope. Not me, not ever. I ain't upgrading jack squat because of a female. Not my guitar, amp, home, car, or anything else. If what I got isn't good enough for them then they can hit the road! Wait a minute.... Could this be why I'm 42 and never married and never had kids??? :confused:

In all seriousness, no I won't upgrade anything for women or anyone else but for myself. I like what I like and use what I want and that is all that matters to me.

That's a good philosophy to have Jayy. I was playing in bands when I met my wife. While I did not upgrade music gear for her I did stop playing in bands and bought the big house in the burbs and the land rover and after few years she wanted a bigger house and new Inifiniti because the Rover wasn't good enough any more, when I said no she decided it was time to trade me in for another man that would give her the bigger house, better car, it's called hypergamus behavior look it up. So she is now my ex-wife and her decision did not work out like she thought and her life has fallen apart and she is miserable. I warned her every step of the way. Did she listen... NOPE! I had a couple of close married friends ask if I was sure I wanted to get married before my wedding in hindsight I now know what they meant.

Back on topic I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my music gear if I like it.

Mailman1971":1ur1phad said:

Do you still stick a cucumber down your pants?

Metlupass2":20cj9cpy said:
Mailman1971":20cj9cpy said:

I jam an eggplant down there. Go BIG or go home! :D

harddriver":3m6n406e said:
Jayy":3m6n406e said:

That's a good philosophy to have Jayy. I was playing in bands when I met my wife. While I did not upgrade music gear for her I did stop playing in bands and bought the big house in the burbs and the land rover and after few years she wanted a bigger house and new Inifiniti because the Rover wasn't good enough any more, when I said no she decided it was time to trade me in for another man that would give her the bigger house, better car, it's called hypergamus behavior look it up. So she is now my ex-wife and her decision did not work out like she thought and her life has fallen apart and she is miserable. I warned her every step of the way. Did she listen... NOPE! I had a couple of close married friends ask if I was sure I wanted to get married before my wedding in hindsight I now know what they meant.

Back on topic I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of my music gear if I like it.

I hear ya man. I went through the same sort of thing, but not marriage so not as severe, with an ex-girlfriend. Nothing I had or did was enough and she demanded more. Literally demanded it and was mean and argumentative as hell if told no. Me being me, I didn't give in very much on anything. What I had already given her was far greater than what she already had and i could easily see she didn't appreciate it at all. She broke it off and left me for something better. Fast forward a few years and her life is also a wreck. She tried to come begging back (literally 5 or 6 years later tried to come begging back!) but there was no way I was going for that. I met a MUCH better girl and she and I have been great together. I wouldn't trade her for anything. Funny how that stuff goes sometimes.

So, I won't base ANYTHING I do on what other people think I should do. I do everything I can for my family, friends, and loved ones and I'm happy to do it, but what I do for me I do STRICTLY for me.

Jayy":82bcfkuw said:
Metlupass2":82bcfkuw said:
Mailman1971":82bcfkuw said:

I jam an eggplant down there. Go BIG or go home! :D

Got a watermellon slung to the left these days.
got a pumpkin growing for the fall days.

Kids cry and point "Whats wrong with Uncle Danny????
Thats pretty much only when I wear Spandex biker shorts.

Mailman1971":3alawdcc said:
Got a watermellon slung to the left these days.
got a pumpkin growing for the fall days.

Kids cry and point "Whats wrong with Uncle Danny????
Thats pretty much only when I wear Spandex biker shorts.

LOL! :rock:

I haven't but only because it never occurred to me that it might work. If I thought even a little bit that it would have worked I absolutely would have used that as an excuse to upgrade.

Never have, never thought about it like that really. I would usually be more worried about my gut turning them away, haha.

Women at gigs have responded to the "prettier" guitars I've had over the years with colorful flamed or quilted maple tops. They're usually regulars who've seen us a bunch. I get a lot of "you brought my favorite guitar!" :thumbsup:

Conversely, years ago a woman of...a certain age...who appeared to have been a card-carrying member of the club we were playing (if you can picture the type) seemed to be having a great time dancing by herself. Between songs, I did a quick guitar switch. Put my LP down and grabbed my old 81 Dean ML. I'd long since retired the guitar because every time I brought it out, people automatically assumed it was Pantera time. Since I'm not a pimple on Dime's rear, no, it was never gonna' be Pantera time. FWIW, I bought the guitar new as a wee lad in 82 because Elliot Easton played one. :LOL: :LOL: Anyway, this particular night I got a wild hair and brought it out. I don't know what got into this woman, but we started playing, she turned around, walked right up to me, pointed to the guitar and stood there for several minutes giving me the finger and shaking her head no. At the end of the song, she started yelling "Put that f-ing thing away!" at me. When I smiled at her and didn't, she started screaming "F YOU!" over and over at the top of her lungs as we started the next song. This was long before Dime's untimely death, so it wasn't that. She just hated the guitar. Of course, at that point I knew it was my civic duty to finish the night with it. She finally got tired of screaming and fell back to the occasional drunk dancing bird flip.

Kevin11":3hj984dg said:
Women at gigs have responded to the "prettier" guitars I've had over the years with colorful flamed or quilted maple tops. They're usually regulars who've seen us a bunch. I get a lot of "you brought my favorite guitar!" :thumbsup:

Conversely, years ago a woman of...a certain age...who appeared to have been a card-carrying member of the club we were playing (if you can picture the type) seemed to be having a great time dancing by herself. Between songs, I did a quick guitar switch. Put my LP down and grabbed my old 81 Dean ML. I'd long since retired the guitar because every time I brought it out, people automatically assumed it was Pantera time. Since I'm not a pimple on Dime's rear, no, it was never gonna' be Pantera time. FWIW, I bought the guitar new as a wee lad in 82 because Elliot Easton played one. :LOL: :LOL: Anyway, this particular night I got a wild hair and brought it out. I don't know what got into this woman, but we started playing, she turned around, walked right up to me, pointed to the guitar and stood there for several minutes giving me the finger and shaking her head no. At the end of the song, she started yelling "Put that f-ing thing away!" at me. When I smiled at her and didn't, she started screaming "F YOU!" over and over at the top of her lungs as we started the next song. This was long before Dime's untimely death, so it wasn't that. She just hated the guitar. Of course, at that point I knew it was my civic duty to finish the night with it. She finally got tired of screaming and fell back to the occasional drunk dancing bird flip.

Now see, you did the right thing there! THAT was a woman that was DEFINITELY worth avoiding! Good job! :thumbsup:

Back