Reverb Amp Buy Gone Bad

Wizard of Ozz

I bought a used amp off Reverb (the seller is a member here), did my due diligence, asked questions:
-Any rust on the transformers, any rust on the chassis?
-Do you have a new double walled box in which to ship and proper packing materials?
-Any repairs or mods to the amp?

Amp ships late, was packed in a box 5 times to big. Packing material was only bubble wrap and 2 sheets of polyester batting (like in a 4X12 cab). No foam corners, not double boxed. Nothing. Chuck it in the box that’s too big and hope for the best. I’ll up load some pics later.

Amp has rust all over the power transformer, the chassis, and some other places, 2 power tubes got busted because the seller let the power chord rattle around inside the head of during shipping, and the 3 prong plug end cracked them, oh... and the amp has been modified... when I specially asked and he said “No” prior to me buying it.

So... what to do? This is the first time I’ve had a bad buy from Reverb. Do I contact Reverb first or just file a PayPal claim and ship it back? I don’t want to keep it. Advice?

Thanks.

I'd go thru Reverb first. If he used Reverb Direct Checkout I think you might HAVE to go thru Reverb.

Damn sorry to hear. Loose packing is the absolute worst and kind of unbelievable when you see a package show up like that. Hope it all works out but what a pain.

Were there no decent pictures of the amp on Reverb? Rust on vintage amps is usually visible, but if you asked specifically he should have been honest. Usually some rust on the outside of the transformer laminations does not hurt anything functionally.

The shipping sounds like a shitshow and it should be returned just for that. With all the bad sales lately you know you hold all the cards with either Reverb or Paypal, Sheesh if this guy is a member here he should know how to ship an amp and the consequences of doing it badly.

Sorry for your hassle.

I’ll post some pics later... but the rust is all over the PT. No way he missed it. Complete sh!t show.

PayPal claim engaged!

No matter what, I'd ask for a refund. My first amp I shipped was to Germany, and it was not the best job...tubes showed up broken. But the buyer was so happy that I shipped it to him, he didn't care. But I shipped him new tubes anyway. That was 2008 and I learned my lesson.
Good Luck!

When I bought my satan 50 off reverb a couple months ago from a pretty well known music store I cant believe it wasn't messed up by the way the box looked when it arrived. It had the foam corners and what not but I've never seen a box in shittier condition. Completely falling apart with shit hanging out of it. It literally fell apart as I picked it up of my porch. I still have never received anything broken or in bad condition.

that is utter crap!! not cool when people don't tell you about damage, dings, dents, etc. I have had someone tell me, "well, the item was at my friends house and I haven't seen it for a few years." and that's after it arrived SEVERELY messed up. there are definitely guys who do stuff like that on a regular basis and somehow get away with it, preposterous! I had a guy send me a guitar in a GIANT box just a few months ago. All there was in the box was some scrunched up paper!! its reached the point, that you now have to coach people on how to package gear, and literally, demand to see pics from that day, and tell them to take a picture with that days newspaper!! guys try to use old pics when the guitar/amp/gear was in better condition.

It’s because of reading stories like this that the only reverb based purchases I’ve made so far were either a dealer listing or a local sale where I met in person.

I work too hard to risk my meager dollars on shenanigans.

I hope reverb makes this right for ya man. What goes around comes around IMO

Oh man, that sucks. I'd start with Reverb. Were all of your inquiries regarding mods, rust, etc. through Reverb's messaging system?

Hope it works out for you.

Just curious, do you always use a new double walled box when shipping amps? I think most people just use the original manufacture's box the amp came in.

I'm guessing you pack the original in the new box?

This sucks... I hope that you are able to get some satisfaction either via Reverb or PayPal. I agree with the others who've suggested outing this guy. I don't want to do business with him and I don't want to see anyone else here get burned, either, especially not by someone who outright lied. I'll be looking forward to seeing those pics of the shit packing job, too. Really hoping this works out in the end.

Back