Thinking about revisiting the Runt 50? Other suggestions?

napalmdeath

Had one a couple years ago, didn't spend alot of time with it, but felt it lacked gain. I do have an OCD, GT-OD, CM-2, and Wylde OD for a boost.

Looking to do mostly thrash, 80's, Testament, Exodus, Overkill, etc. Some Drop-D. I've thought about an EL34 EVH, but my 3 tries with the 6L6 50, left me uninspired. Been hunting for a Ceriatone, but a used 50 watt Chupa or Yeti have been scarce.

I'm looking for VH brown sound, but a little more girth, more gain, and tight low end. The older I get, the more I'm convinced the modded Plexi is my tone. Really looking for options. I'd probably jump on another Splawn Competition, but, of course no used ones out there when I'm holding cash! Used, I'm looking $900-$1200. Am I missing some other contenders?

The one I had didn’t lack gain. It could sound like ny Germino L55, or get pretty heavy for modern harder tones. I think the more recent ones have more gain than the earlier ones.

Here's a quick clip I just made, all amp, gain at 8 (3 oclock) with gain boost on, no pedals, sm57 on a v30, bedroom volumes:
https://soundcloud.com/bmandrell/runt-sg-e-riff

Runt was good but not great right priced for what you get...

How bout a Soldano? Or if brown sound but more is what you want, maybe a 5150?

GOHOINC":15woe4rx said:
Runt was good but not great right priced for what you get...

How bout a Soldano? Or if brown sound but more is what you want, maybe a 5150?

Loop sucks on the Soldanos, prices too high. EVH's are kinda bland, uninspiring, and the Peaveys are too fizzy at lower volumes. KILLER amps, though once you get some juice. But, already have a 50lb beast of a Peavey JSX. Too damn heavy!

I have only played a runt at the store in IMHO it sucked . I didn't crank it though ,I was playing at relatively low volumes and it lacked on all fronts .
I always liked the EVH 50 watt myself,but different strokes.

I have a yeti I that I was planning on modding that I would sell if your interested.I've had the amp for probably 4 months and its just been sitting. I don't have time to get to it.

splatter":1snnq0bq said:
I have only played a runt at the store in IMHO it sucked . I didn't crank it though ,I was playing at relatively low volumes and it lacked on all fronts .

I have a yeti I that I was planning on modding that I would sell if your interested.I've had the amp for probably 4 months and its just been sitting. I don't have time to get to it.

Is it a 50 watt? PM me a price.

LP Freak":qz6yonk6 said:
I don’t think the Runt is the amp for you.

I think you're right. I think I need something a little angrier. The Ceriatones are looking more and more like a better choice.

If you and Splatter can work something out on the Yeti, I think that would be a home run for what you are looking for.

I surprisingly liked the Runt a lot with the KM7. Might still need a boost but after reading a good bunch of not-so-positives, I was pleasantly surprised

JerEvil":2w3o88le said:
I surprisingly liked the Runt a lot with the KM7. Might still need a boost but after reading a good bunch of not-so-positives, I was pleasantly surprised

Definitely like the voicing.

Bro, hold out for the Chupa or Yeti. I've got a Yeti 100 and it's a killing machine. It'll do Exodus, Testament, Overkill, etc. in spades. Why not a 100 watt? I've got one and it sounds great at low volumes. I've also had a Competition, and those are also killer, but the Ceriatone will definitely get heavier due to the resonance knob. The Ceriatone also has many more available tones. From what I've heard of the EVH EL34 50 watt, I don't think you'd dig it. If I'm not mistaken it's got a real loose, flabby low end.

napalmdeath":2uanaddr said:
splatter":2uanaddr said:

Is it a 50 watt? PM me a price.

I didn't see this till now; for some reason, I don't get a notice from RT when someone quotes my post like I do on other sites.
I think its a 50 watt if I remember correctly. I will check in a bit and get back to you.

napalmdeath":3p1dcmzm said:
Been hunting for a Ceriatone, but a used 50 watt Chupa or Yeti have been scarce.

The volume drops a lot when you engage the diode clipping anyway, might as well just go for the 100w ones if you find one within your budget.

napalmdeath":36v6uoqg said:
Had one a couple years ago, didn't spend alot of time with it, but felt it lacked gain. I do have an OCD, GT-OD, CM-2, and Wylde OD for a boost.

Looking to do mostly thrash, 80's, Testament, Exodus, Overkill, etc. Some Drop-D. I've thought about an EL34 EVH, but my 3 tries with the 6L6 50, left me uninspired. Been hunting for a Ceriatone, but a used 50 watt Chupa or Yeti have been scarce.

I'm looking for VH brown sound, but a little more girth, more gain, and tight low end. The older I get, the more I'm convinced the modded Plexi is my tone. Really looking for options. I'd probably jump on another Splawn Competition, but, of course no used ones out there when I'm holding cash! Used, I'm looking $900-$1200. Am I missing some other contenders?
Why not look for a late 80s 2205? Should be in your price range, I know you've said you like them.....a good 2205 will destroy a Runt, at least the Runt I tried at GC a while back....no contest.

Racerxrated":31o3smtf said:
napalmdeath":31o3smtf said:

Why not look for a late 80s 2205? Should be in your price range, I know you've said you like them.....a good 2205 will destroy a Runt, at least the Runt I tried at GC a while back....no contest.

Been looking, prices have skyrocketed to 1200-$1300. I've scraped up $1200, but I wouldn't pay that for a 2205.

Back