Pickups for that big full les Paul sound

Wow. Thanks man. I like that a lot. It’s full and open but the lower end had that bite to it while staying big !! That goes on the short list with the Aldrich

Devilinside":e5wvhbt8 said:
Wolfetone Marshallhead hands down the best bridge pup for a LP
I’ve tried, and I’ve been through a bunch.
They’re great....but bright.

My fave pickup in a Les Paul is the Motor City Detroiter.
I think my bridge is around 9.6k
I'm finding these days I prefer moderate to lower output pickups with higher gain amps. ( under 10k )
The Aldrich was ok for me tone-wise, but with the high output, I wasn't digging the feel or the way it compressed the front end of my amps.
The 57 classic is ok in a brighter Les paul like a custom, but the A2 magnets can make the high end a little soft in a not so bright guitar, at least for what I like to hear.

Big and full are two words I would use for Dirty Fingers pickups. You may or may not like them but probably not because they weren't big or full enough.

As was mentioned above

Duncan Custom SH5 bridge for balanced/slightly bright
For darker bridge tones Dimarzio Tone Zone or SD JB will get you there

Alnico 2 pro or a Jazz are both huge and clear sounding and great neck pickups respectively.
A 59 or screamin demon (backed off the bass side a hair) in the neck will get you more top end.
My current favorite neck pickup in anything is the Lawrence L500XL..it sounds massive!

You also won't go wrong with the Gibson 490 set or 496/500 sets

Pickups are a lotta fun and easy way to recharge a "dead guitar"

Granted my suggestions aren't boutique ones, but more "known" sounds your ear may recognize and mesh with.

Dopethrone":cwoy6ulg said:
As was mentioned above

Duncan Custom SH5 bridge for balanced/slightly bright
For darker bridge tones Dimarzio Tone Zone or SD JB will get you there

Alnico 2 pro or a Jazz are both huge and clear sounding and great neck pickups respectively.
A 59 or screamin demon (backed off the bass side a hair) in the neck will get you more top end.
My current favorite neck pickup in anything is the Lawrence L500XL..it sounds massive!

You also won't go wrong with the Gibson 490 set or 496/500 sets

Pickups are a lotta fun and easy way to recharge a "dead guitar"

Granted my suggestions aren't boutique ones, but more "known" sounds your ear may recognize and mesh with.
Yep, the stock pickups also sound great.

I agree , I’m a fan of the jb. I’ve used in it strat style guitars and I’m also a fan of the 498 that come stock in the les Paul’s. Even in clips on you tube I tend to think they sound fuller than others in comparison . Maybe it’s because they were designed for the guitar. Or my ears idk. Lol
Of the many guitars I tried , they sounded great. But this particular guitar rang thru better and had that feel. So it’s why I chose this one.l but it didn’t sound as warm and big .. It is used so idk if the pickups were changed at some point.

I have an Aldrich in a Custom and a Suhr Thornbucker+ in an R8. Both are great, but the Thornbucker+ is one of the best pickups I’ve tried in a LP

I'll second the BBQ. I have a Balaguer Feral pickup that is a complete sleeper too. Very articulate. Lower resistance is the way to go.

Devilinside":4ps5k5yy said:
Wolfetone Marshallhead hands down the best bridge pup for a LP
I’ve tried, and I’ve been through a bunch.

Wolfetone Marshallhead, or Dr. Vintage. Also, WCR Darkburst, Fillmore, Godwood.

Dirty Fingers, 500T or, believe it or not, Jackson J90C, I have the J90Cs in 2 Les Pauls I own and I love them.

Lindy Fralin PAF have a wonderful full tone. Very open with lots of note separation and they handle high gain well with a smooth bottom. Excellent choice for clean volume rolls. These pups woke up a Norlin LP when every other pickup failed.

WCR are the safest bet around. Motor City Detroiter is a nice fat pickups.Not a super fan of Suhr Aldrich, it sounded fizzy to me. You may try Schecter Pasadena or Sunset Strip too. Duncan is full of fine choices as well (ceramic Custom, though it's a lil bright and compressed in some guitars). DiMarzio Superdistortion is a must-go.

I love the Aldrich found it had a really compressed top end in amps that where already high gain. I found them to be fantastic for medium gain stuff. But for me, I never go high outfit PUs with high gain amps. For a lesson Paul and high gain, a PAF on the hotter side offers the best high gain and clean out of a les Paul for hard Rock and more modern

I'm in the lower output camp. Recently found a set of BKP Mules, snagged them up and put them in my 91' standard and it is just complete badassery. Beefy and thick! The fact that it weighs like 11 pounds probably helps too :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back