Pickups for that big full les Paul sound

Pwurst67

Hey guys. I’m looking for opinions on pickups for my 95 les Paul standard.
I like what the suhr Aldrich pickups bring but it’s so hard to tell from you tube clips. With guitars having different tonal quality’s . Are the dirty fingers like Sykes played a better option for that seeet lead tone or even classic 57s. Anyone who experiences with these or ev n better option. I want a pickup that can cover hard rock , metal to Gary Moore a sweet blues tone. ?? Thanks for any help ?

Check out Doug Rap's Instagram, he just posted a quick video with the SD Whole Lotta bridge pickup, it was fat sounding. Lower output pickups really are the way to go..

mixn4him":ikoivfkg said:
Check out Doug Rap's Instagram, he just posted a quick video with the SD Whole Lotta bridge pickup, it was fat sounding. Lower output pickups really are the way to go..
I disagree. Lower output pickups have a much brighter, open top-end. I used to have a Duncan '59B in a LP-style PRS, which I swapped for a Whole Lotta Humbucker, which I then swapped for a Black Winter. The brightness decreased with each swap.

Then again, lower output pickups are THE Les Paul sound. Lower output pickups can pull off metal much better than higher output pickups can pull off vintage tones, IMO.

Rex Rocker":36npijh6 said:
mixn4him":36npijh6 said:
I disagree. Lower output pickups have a much brighter, open top-end. I used to have a Duncan '59B in a LP-style PRS, which I swapped for a Whole Lotta Humbucker, which I then swapped for a Black Winter. The brightness decreased with each swap.

Then again, lower output pickups are THE Les Paul sound. Lower output pickups can pull off metal much better than higher output pickups can pull off vintage tones, IMO.

Listen to the demo, nothing bright about the WL's...

IMHO the Aldrich pups were lacking . they are better than some but not what I was after.A lot of people love the 57's but I'm not one of them. You may want to try the Bk rebel yell in the bridge . Its been in my cs6 for a couple years now .Its fat has good string separation and great harmonics.

You may also want to look at Jalen pickups hes new to the game but his "78" pickup kills in my explorer.
its WAY better than the SD custom shop 78 and at 1/2 the price

mixn4him":39dzyui5 said:
Rex Rocker":39dzyui5 said:
mixn4him":39dzyui5 said:

Listen to the demo, nothing bright about the WL's...
Have you tried the WLH's yourself? They're bright. They're less twangy than, say, a Burstbucker Pro or a '59B, and you definitely wouldn't mistake them for Strat single coils, but they're definitely snarly and edgy. All good traditional PAF-types are, especially compared to a beefy 17+K monster like an Aldrich.

Thanks , I’ll defiantly check it out and thanks LP freak , the Aldridch has aLil the qualities I’m looking for in the clips I’ve heard. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t overlooking something else. I just bought a 95 standard and it’s going to b my main guitar ?. I want to pair it with a splawn quickrod

Rio Grande BBQ is fat. A5, around 12k. Definitely not bright. Hot enough to push the front, but not too hot that it’s super compressed.

Here’s a YT clip of the Aldrich through a QR. Pretty sure this guy is on RT. He could provide some good advice here. The Aldrich does sound pretty fat. I’m not a fan of super hot pups these days, especially into modern high gain amps, but that’s just my personal preference.

Cant beat an Alnico II pro set in a les paul, especially a standard. 57 Classics I think are great in my les paul custom.

Mr. Willy":74ojug7i said:
Here’s a YT clip of the Aldrich through a QR. Pretty sure this guy is on RT. He could provide some good advice here. The Aldrich does sound pretty fat. I’m not a fan of super hot pups these days, especially into modern high gain amps, but that’s just my personal preference.

Yes , thank you. That has the characteristics I’m looking for. , I’ve seen a bunch on you tube as well, But I missed this one . It doesn’t sound too focused that it looses it’s body if you will , I didn’t want something that because it’s a high output pickup becomes so focused that it sounds too tight and geared towards just metal , I like 490s that come stock , but not for ya vertical hint. They can sound raspy or to bright sometimes. So this is a well rounded pickup

BKP Rebel Yells are great in Les Paul's as are the Black Dogs. I am also a big fan if the Suhr Aldrich in a Les Paul. If you are looking for something real tight with great clarity and string separation that rolls off well and is various amp and tone friendly you may want to check out the BKP Ragnarok. Very nice pickup!

Pwurst67":2lo9j7ct said:
https://youtu.be/YbR7ObwVbik
Here is a clip I found , at 40 second mark is exactly what I would love to find ! Unfortunately
It doesn’t give a breakdown of pickups used

Buried in the comments Dimarzio Air Zone - Bridge, Air Norton - Neck.

Based on my personal experience I would also vote for the Aldrich and the Rio Grande BBQ, which is super fat (not dark) sounding. Been through tons of pickups in my LPs over the years and these are two of my faves.

Pwurst67":3hhzglio said:
https://youtu.be/YbR7ObwVbik
Here is a clip I found , at 40 second mark is exactly what I would love to find ! Unfortunately
It doesn’t give a breakdown of pickups used

I remember that video. It’s been floating around for awhile. Killer tone right there. He says later on down in the comments that he’s using DiMarzios, Airzone in the bridge, Air Norton in the neck.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Appreciate you guys taking the time to give input??
Gave me some clips to search out tonight , should be fun !! I was a rig talk member a couple of years ago and stepped away for a bit.( nighttrain69) Had to re register because I chemg d my email since then. Great community here !!

Back