SPLAWN QUICKROD... Which 2X12 and speakers? Opinions please.

Fret-Shredder

I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2018 fully loaded Quickrod. Im counting the days till it arrives!!! I already own a MESA 2X12 with VINTAGE 30s but really want to get the SPLAWN 2X12 with Creambacks because it seems that the Creambacks are highly recommended and match well with the Quickrod. My question is do you think Im going to notice that huge of a difference by NOT having Creambacks and will be missing out on something special tone wise? Thanks guys.

Take what I say here with a grain of salt because I’ve never played a QR. It is on my very short list of amps I want, though. I have a pair of H75’s in a 2x12. They’re great speakers and I dig them a lot. Something to consider with the QR is that that amp is a brighter amp, and the H75’s have a good bit of high end bite. The M65’s are more relaxed in the highs, more forward mids, and squishier low end. All that said, I’d seriously look into the Redbacks. I love this speaker. It’s got a massive bottom, flat mids, and a relaxed (not dark though) top end. Seems to me that the QR would match very well with some Redbacks.

If you want something to tame the highs, Eminence Cannabis Rex's work well. Got them by accident. Loaded them anyway. Sounded good to me.

Those amps sound great with v30's and creambacks both. I personally used to run a mix of v30/creamback with it and it was great. I now favor a v30/eminence v12 legend mix since it still have the v30 mids I love but balances it out very nicely and so far I haven't found an amp the combo doesn't work well with.

Congrats!!! Your gonna love it no doubt.

My 2013 QR loved the 4 EVH greenbacks (A.K.A. Heritage 25 watt GB) I played it through. I sold my 2013, but think there might be one of the newer QR's or a Nitro in my future.

I would say Creambacks are the best I’ve tried.... That is what Scott recommends for the QR....I have them in my Splawn cab....

FWIW I had a Quick Rod , Competition and currently have two Super Sport EL34 heads and I don’t find the amps to be bright but YMMV . Celestion and Scumback M and M/H mix speakers have worked the best for me for gained up hard rock . Recently I mixed a Vintage 30 with a Creamback H75 in my Splawn 2x12 and initially I really liked it but the V30 is starting to wear on my ears so I’m gonna swap it for a Creamback M65 . I’ve got Creamback M/H speakers in my Splawn 4x12 and they sound really good

Hi Vince... Yeah bro. I really want the Splawn with the Creambacks. Just trying to afford it after the Quickrod purchase. Maybe I can find a cheap Marshall 2X12 cab and put some Creambacks in it. Just thinking out loud here. LOL Honestly I would love to get the Splawn 2X12 though.

splawner":1a4ck8xv said:
I would say Creambacks are the best I’ve tried.... That is what Scott recommends for the QR....I have them in my Splawn cab....

Fret-Shredder":2up8z90o said:
Hi Vince... Yeah bro. I really want the Splawn with the Creambacks. Just trying to afford it after the Quickrod purchase. Maybe I can find a cheap Marshall 2X12 cab and put some Creambacks in it. Just thinking out loud here. LOL Honestly I would love to get the Splawn 2X12 though.

splawner":2up8z90o said:
Ya if you can swing the Splawn cab go for it....There solid and sound killer!

I run mine with a Hermida ported 2x12 with Vintage 30’s.
Sounds amazing. I realize it’s an impossible cab to find but the 30’s sound fantastic. I’m sure the Mesa cab will sound great.
I would like to mix a high powered Creamback with a 30 some day.

Congrats on the amp. I’ve owned dozens over the years and the Quickrod might be my favorite!

Fret-Shredder":g1h6otcg said:
I pulled the trigger and ordered a 2018 fully loaded Quickrod. Im counting the days till it arrives!!! I already own a MESA 2X12 with VINTAGE 30s but really want to get the SPLAWN 2X12 with Creambacks because it seems that the Creambacks are highly recommended and match well with the Quickrod. My question is do you think Im going to notice that huge of a difference by NOT having Creambacks and will be missing out on something special tone wise? Thanks guys.

I would not get to concerned about not having the creambacks. The Quickrod has so much lowend that the Vintage 30's are going to sound great, especially if you have the Mesa Vintage 30's in that cab. I have a Mesa Roadster cab with V-30's and it sound great with all my amp, plexi's, superleads and a Splawn modded Marshall. I think you will be nicely surprised. :rock:

Congrats on the amp!! I've heard so many good things about the new ones. Post a review when you get it!

FWIW, I don't think you'll be missing out on anything without the Creambacks. I've got an 2007 Competition and it sounds good with almost everything I've played it through. I haven't tried the H75 Creambacks and I thought the Heritage H30-55Hz were a little too bright for it (to be fair, they weren't very broken in at the time). The M65 Creambacks do sound great with it, but so do the Mesa V30s and the Heritage Greenbacks. I really like it through Heritage G12-65s, too, and I even like the T75s with it (not exactly my favorite speaker). They're all just different flavors, though, and I think it sounds great, regardless. It's not nearly as picky about speakers as some amps are, at least in my experience. Killer amp!!

V30/creamback H75 mix sounds great with a QR. I had this combo in a Splawn 412. I’d imagine all H75s would be just as good if not better. Also liked it a lot with Scumback M75/H75 combo in my Friedman cab.

I resurrected my Pro Stock B+ and played it through my Friedman 2x12 with Chinese V30's. It sounded better than I expected, but I think I may want to mix the V30 or try different speakers.

I have a Redback and a Creamback H75. Which combo would you go with and why?

RB/H75
V30/H75
RB/V30

...I'm a little cautious of the H75 because it can have a bright top end, and mixed with the V30 that may be too much for the bright Splawn.

Cheers!

I tried Creambacks and didn't care for them. So I would say no your not going to be missing anything.I went back to what I found to sound the best in my Splawn 2x12 which is a Splawn small block with an Eminence Governor. You may want to try swapping one of your Vintage 30's for a Greenback.

Splawn is a modded Marshall correct? I've only played a Nitro...I would imagine G12 65s would be killer or some other Greenback or derivative.

I have a mesa 2x12 with vintage 30s and a splawn 2x12 with creambacks. Both sound great with a splawn. Greenbacks do too. I wouldnt overthink it too much, like a marshall, it's going to sound goo through most celestions.

Back