Swirl paint job

I bought a lot of supplies to do it a couple years back and started small using some action figures. I gave it a couple tries but wasn't using the right paint and/or thinned it out way too much. I've got a lot more space at my house and intend on giving it another shot sometime down the road. I've got a Jackson 7-string already stripped and waiting for the plunge. Do a Group search on FB, there's at least one swirling group on there where you can get some tips from guys who are pulling off successful swirls. Funny though, I really have seen many that even come close to About Time Designs swirls, which was Darren Johansen (sp?) who did all the Ibanez swirls (minus the MKR run of UV's).

RevDrucifer":3ueuj7xl said:
I bought a lot of supplies to do it a couple years back and started small using some action figures. I gave it a couple tries but wasn't using the right paint and/or thinned it out way too much. I've got a lot more space at my house and intend on giving it another shot sometime down the road. I've got a Jackson 7-string already stripped and waiting for the plunge. Do a Group search on FB, there's at least one swirling group on there where you can get some tips from guys who are pulling off successful swirls. Funny though, I really have seen many that even come close to About Time Designs swirls, which was Darren Johansen (sp?) who did all the Ibanez swirls (minus the MKR run of UV's).
Yeah, it looks like the dunk process has some art to it and so many details I don't know. I thought Ben Eller had a video on it but couldn't find it last night.

I know the water temperature is a big part of it. The borax is debated, but I've been seeing more and more guys doing it without it at all and are getting good results. My only complaints about the guys who are getting good swirls now is that they aren't tight/intense enough.

Any recommendations of guitar swirling services in the US? There is a guys in the UK, Richard Fay, who is doing some cool things. I rather use someone in the US, if there is someone worth hiring for this type of job.

Ron Thorn absolutely has it down, but I don’t know if he can work on anything other than a Fender custom order now.

I did one that was a fail really. I didn't use anywhere near enough paint so it came out really patchy. Actually doing it isn't that hard, but it takes a lot more paint than it looks in the videos I watched

Econ":ujqfl3og said:
Any recommendations of guitar swirling services in the US? There is a guys in the UK, Richard Fay, who is doing some cool things. I rather use someone in the US, if there is someone worth hiring for this type of job.

Roger Boler from Swirl The World is in the US (Ohio) and is doing really good swirls and is a great guy to deal with. Check him out on facebook. I just sent him my RG520 to swirl and a friend of mine received a really nice Green/Black swirl from him.

Just contacted Roger and he got back to me right away. His prices are very reasonable, so I will give Swirl The World a try. Thanks for the referral.

Snowblind56":1nxpx16u said:
Econ":1nxpx16u said:

Roger Boler from Swirl The World is in the US (Ohio) and is doing really good swirls and is a great guy to deal with. Check him out on facebook. I just sent him my RG520 to swirl and a friend of mine received a really nice Green/Black swirl from him.

I used him recently. Did a great job!

Snowblind56":1r0m0vcb said:
Econ":1r0m0vcb said:

Pics?

Snowblind56":1weq9s2h said:
Econ":1weq9s2h said:

Thanks for pointing this guy out, his stuff looks killer and I hadn't heard of him :thumbsup:

Back