PRS MT15 vs Hughes & Kettner Deluxe 40

Gsxrbusa

I decided to put the PRS head to head with the GMD40. This isn't scientific or anything. Just a iphone clip. Maybe someday I can do a proper recording. Until that day comes this is what I got. In the room this isn't even close.... GMD40 is the clear winner. The GM has more volume and more clarity and bite. The GM is more brutal imo as well. Not knocking the PRS but I think it needs a bit more overall in a couple areas. They should make a 50W and put a bit more clarity in it and they will have a freakin winner. Anyway, this phone clip doesnt do either amp justice but it is what it is.

What do you guys think?

They both sound cool, but like you said, it's tough to tell a lot of difference on that phone clip.

Well first off, they both sound vicious. That's some sick, heavy fuckin tonez right there, bro. The HK definitely has a little more grit and anger. I heard that amp at Sweetwater Fest over the summer and I loved it. Definitely on my list. Is it much louder than the PRS? Does it hold together and retain more clarity and low end at high volumes?

I was actually trying to compare the Tubemeister 20 to the MT15 before I found this thread. Any idea who would win that battle?

Sounds pretty close to me. Other then the wattage/volume difference I would say with some added treble and presence to the Mt15 they would sound identical.

Hmm, I've had my eye on the H&K but have been hesitant to spring for an amp with EL84's. Is this an example of where 4xEL84 delivers the goods? I'm shopping for a lunchbox/smallish amp but want big glass.

Yeah they sound too close in that clip to differentiate anything really. Both sound killer though. And the tone is in your fingers :)

I find my MT15 to be somewhat dark. I use a high presence setting with mine to get the cut and pick attack I want out of it.

squank":3959vc4x said:
They both sound cool, but like you said, it's tough to tell a lot of difference on that phone clip.

I wish you guys could hear them in the room. :aww: :)

Beyond Black":3959vc4x said:
Well first off, they both sound vicious. That's some sick, heavy fuckin tonez right there, bro. The HK definitely has a little more grit and anger. I heard that amp at Sweetwater Fest over the summer and I loved it. Definitely on my list. Is it much louder than the PRS? Does it hold together and retain more clarity and low end at high volumes?

Thanks for checking it my friend! :) The H&K can keep up volume wise with my big iron amps at normal band volume. Obviously the big iron can be pushed much harder but I don't think it's really necessary for what I do. I have played the H&K at band practice for months. The other guitarist in my band loved mine so much he got one. I really hate to knock PRS on this, it's a great tone. It simply needs more power, and a touch more clarity (this is apparent in the room). That's it. The pricepoint is spot on. For $600 you would be hard pressed to find a better tube amp brand new. They will sell a ton of these amps. When they do a 50 or 100w I will buy one.

As for the H&K at super high volume? It does fall apart with too much bass or resonance. But the threshold right before it happens is a perfect volume.

jnanakul":3959vc4x said:
I was actually trying to compare the Tubemeister 20 to the MT15 before I found this thread. Any idea who would win that battle?

I havent played the Tubemeister 20 but I have played the 36. I think the MT15 would be the winner on that one bro.

slyym":3959vc4x said:
Sounds pretty close to me. Other then the wattage/volume difference I would say with some added treble and presence to the Mt15 they would sound identical.

Pretty close for sure. The H&K has a little more aggresivness in the tone to ears.

Meeotch":3959vc4x said:
Hmm, I've had my eye on the H&K but have been hesitant to spring for an amp with EL84's. Is this an example of where 4xEL84 delivers the goods? I'm shopping for a lunchbox/smallish amp but want big glass.

I don't think this GMD40 is a typical EL84 amp. They really stepped it up on this one. I have hated the other EL84 amps I have tried. For example the 6505 mini. It's laughable how much better this H&K is than that amp.

shred-o-holic":3959vc4x said:
Yeah they sound too close in that clip to differentiate anything really. Both sound killer though. And the tone is in your fingers :)

Thanks my brother! They indeed do sound close in the clip! :D

D-Rock":3959vc4x said:
I find my MT15 to be somewhat dark. I use a high presence setting with mine to get the cut and pick attack I want out of it.

Would you want to hear this same comparison with my Rev Green Uberschall? I made a clip comparing the two since people seem to think they based this amp off of the Bogner. In the room the Uber destroys the MT but we are talking apples and oranges here. I'll post it if you like. :scared: I might take a lot of slack for it but I don't care. :gethim:

Yep, GM40 sounded better. A tad more scooped perhaps, but you could hear the girth and cut a bit as well.

By the way, nice to see a DOD FX60 on the board next to a Boss CE-2.
I got rid of my full DOD FX-collection last year (all the '81-'84 2 knob pedals, in their original boxes), but the FX-10 BiFet and FX-60 I miss the most.

To me it's a bit more balanced sounding and subtle compared to the mid-boost of the CE-2. How would you compare them?

Back