Def Leppard talks about switching to the AFXIII

Fuck why am I watching that!! I just sold a bunch of stuff and have money to burn. Must resist!!!!!

I think the real story here is they heard Petrucci using it. He was supposedly only using it for effects. Maybe that was just while pimping his Mesa sig amp?

BrokenFusion":1e9lmdgx said:
I think the real story here is they heard Petrucci using it. He was supposedly only using it for effects. Maybe that was just while pimping his Mesa sig amp?

It's been whispered on the Fractal forum by some of the powers that be that many things happen behind the scenes on stage and in the studio that can't be revealed because of guys with tube amp endorsement deals :D

He said he heard John playing "it in his dressing room". JP has shown his practice rig being a axefx. So this does not infer that JP was using the III for his main rig. Not saying he does not use the III for his rig. I have no clue.

BrokenFusion":2bq09b10 said:

I think he said Petrucci was using it backstage in the dressing room. Probably as a simple warm up rig?

I don’t care what any artist is using well after their formative years. Their best tone was always back then and any talk of current setups revolves purely around easy of touring setups and reducing transport costs. Not tone chasing. On a huge stage with in ears I can see it not mattering, amp vs modeler. But on smaller stages where you might get stage sound from an actual cab I couldn’t imagine preferring a modeler to the response of a tube amp with a little volume. But I’m totally guessing to be honest. AC/DC still stuck with amps and cabs well into the arrival of modelers.

Upon hearing the news, Fractal audio stock just went through the roof as Rockchippy just bought all available units.

Since mostly deaf Leppard wouldn't know good guitar tone if it bit them in their asses I couldn't care less...

thegame":34ahm9pf said:
Upon hearing the news, Fractal audio stock just went through the roof as Rockchippy just bought all available units.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cameron profile incoming.

skoora":34ahm9pf said:
But on smaller stages where you might get stage sound from an actual cab I couldn’t imagine preferring a modeler to the response of a tube amp with a little volume.

This is where I am torn. I had the AX8 and it sounds good but it is definitely not the same. I guess you could use your guitar amp for power and a cab but to me that defeats the purpose of having one for actual band use.

I have been on the fence with the Kemper as well. I really want one since I am not in a band, I tweak more these days then play and the only music I have done lately has been recording into the PC. It just bugs me that it doesn't sound the same or feel the same. I have never played a Kemper but I listen to the clips so I feel it is the same thing as the Axe stuff. You need an FRFR and/or some elaborate in ear setup.

Anyway Steiny told me that the Kemper in particular is like hearing a miked cab so I guess it is just something I would need to get used to.

IMO - TL;DR nothing beats a tube amp.

maddnotez":88qn7zpv said:
I have been on the fence with the Kemper as well. I really want one since I am not in a band, I tweak more these days then play and the only music I have done lately has been recording into the PC. It just bugs me that it doesn't sound the same or feel the same. I have never played a Kemper but I listen to the clips so I feel it is the same thing as the Axe stuff. You need an FRFR and/or some elaborate in ear setup.

Anyway Steiny told me that the Kemper in particular is like hearing a miked cab so I guess it is just something I would need to get used to.

IMO - TL;DR nothing beats a tube amp.

The kemper is a completely different mindset. It's all about the quality of profiles. You need to spend some on commercial profiles, especially on Michael Britt and ToneJunkiez are super cool. Load a profile, get inspired, play. It's not about notching B+ amp values on page 6 and using trainwreck tone stack in a soldano and what not.
Really basic and powerful tweaking options. The difference is, Axe is "kinda sounds like" lets perfect it, the kemper is "jeez this sounds pretty much spot on" let me notch the bass up a bit.

aftec":1nga4ncx said:
The difference is, Axe is "kinda sounds like" lets perfect it, the kemper is "jeez this sounds pretty much spot on" let me notch the bass up a bit.

Damn, I need a Kemper.

Sorry to completely derail the thread :LOL: :LOL:

What is the preference these days? I recall a lot of forum guys saying FRFR was the way to go when the Kemper first came out. Is that still the case?

romanianreaper":2rrjqhwd said:
Chris O":2rrjqhwd said:
Jesus H...Sav looks like Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler"... :shocked:

LOL, oh man I'm dying! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was going to say "who was the chick?" but that is much better.

Here is what happened to Savage...

Quote from DefleppardUK.com website: In 1994 Sav was diagnosed with the condition Bell's Palsy which affects a specific facial nerve.
At the time he suffered partial paralysis on the right side of his face.
His condition greatly improved and he is still recovering.

maddnotez":dj44ahzs said:
aftec":dj44ahzs said:
The difference is, Axe is "kinda sounds like" lets perfect it, the kemper is "jeez this sounds pretty much spot on" let me notch the bass up a bit.

Damn, I need a Kemper.

Sorry to completely derail the thread :LOL: :LOL:

What is the preference these days? I recall a lot of forum guys saying FRFR was the way to go when the Kemper first came out. Is that still the case?
I play a powered Kemper into real guitar cabs, I find the idea of FRFR cabs disgusting and would never use one unless I absolutely had to. My main rhythm tone is a homebrew profile of my Engl Savage and it fucking smokes. If it isn't exact, it's close enough to be acceptable to me :thumbsup:. That means I can get the tone I love so much from it along with all of the effects I like using in a much smaller and lighter rig.

i’m not being negative, but Def and Journey both have highly processed tones anyway, so i see why they are using them...why not? they sound excellent for that. But if you want The Darkness/Pyromania Plexi tone, you can’t beat the real deal.

crwnedblasphemy":1d9eup4j said:
i’m not being negative, but Def and Journey both have highly processed tones anyway, so i see why they are using them...why not? they sound excellent for that. But if you want The Darkness/Pyromania Plexi tone, you can’t beat the real deal.

I can see these groups using them more out of convenience than anything else. No 4x12's to lug around, no mic's on a cab, easy setup and tear down.

Back