Locking tuners - which ones?

alan67

Looking at some 3+3 locking tuners for my Burny LP.

Grover, Sperzel or Graph Tech? I like keystone shaped tuners and found some Graph Tech's at Sweetwater but they seem kind of expensive.

alan67":30vabijb said:
Looking at some 3+3 locking tuners for my Burny LP.

Grover, Sperzel or Graph Tech? I like keystone shaped tuners and found some Graph Tech's at Sweetwater but they seem kind of expensive.

Gotoh. I like them. Grovers are great, for decent price.

I recently installed a set of hipshots in one of my guitars, I really like them- much more smooth feeling than the sperzels (which have served me well for years) I have in another guitar. The universal mount plate made installation as easy as changing strings.

indespise":21n024u0 said:
I recently installed a set of hipshots in one of my guitars, I really like them- much more smooth feeling than the sperzels (which have served me well for years) I have in another guitar. The universal mount plate made installation as easy as changing strings.
Yes, Hipshot :rock: Made in USA and reasonably priced. :rock:

Grover 406. I find these to have the best string transfer. Once you get the knack of them they are a breeze to use. :thumbsup:

Another vote for Hipshot. They are the smoothest most accurate tuners I’ve used. Grab them from SportHiTech on Reverb. Great prices. If you need chrome with UMPs, PM me. I have a couple spare sets. Open gear locking model.

LSR tuners are the smoothest tuners at a ratio of 40:1 nothing currently made comes even remotely near them.

exo-metal":1q1kaw5e said:
LSR tuners are the smoothest tuners at a ratio of 40:1 nothing currently made comes even remotely near them.

40:1? Daaaaamn. How long does it take you to change a full step, like an hour?

FourT6and2":zwywol2v said:
exo-metal":zwywol2v said:

40:1? Daaaaamn. How long does it take you to change a full step, like an hour?

:LOL: :LOL:

:thumbsup:

I would just get a set of Grover’s, etc... that match the screw holes already in your guitar. I have Grover locking on my les Paul, and schaller on my jackson. They’re all respected companies, I just don’t want to drill my guitars anymore.

The Planet Waves auto-trim tuners have also been nice in my experience. Schallers too.

The only ones I'm not particularly fond of are Sperzels. Not that they're bad, but they're not cheap, and while they're stable, their gear ratio isn't as great as others that cost as much or less. They're not a drop-in replacement for any other tuners either.

I love my Hipshots on my PRS. Got them specifically so I wouldn't have to drill out holes for new ones. The universal mounting plate works perfectly.

Wik5aYi.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys - think I've decided on some Hipshot's - I like the way you can choose which tuner buttons you get too :rock:

Back