New VH2 is going back tomorrow

splatter

well, the new VH2 is going back to GC tomorrow.
I decided to roll some preamp tubes today since I picked up a couple from GC. So after trying a few different combos in V1 and V2 I decided to try something different in V3.
pulled the stock tube out, put a new tung=sol in and no sound.I thought well crap I bought a def tube. So I jiggled the tube and the sound started cutting in and out.
I took the tube out, put the original back in and had sound but if I put just slight pressure on the tube pushing it towards the back of the amp I lose signal.
I'm not talking about rocking the tube up out of the socket (there's no room to do that anyway) I'm talking barely touching it.
So its back in the box and going back to GC tomorrow. This is why I don't like PC mounted sockets.
I'm sure I could fix it but this being a new head, it's going back.
Now I'm leery about getting another

Sorry to hear this... Honestly, I haven't heard of very many QC problems with Diezels, but everybody makes a dud every once in a while. Sounds like a cold solder joint to me, and if so, I'm sure that you're right about being able to fix it. But, like you said, it's new. Returning it is easier than warranty service, likely faster, too. I'd do the same thing. Definitely understand you being leery, too.

I've had my share of Diezel's. Think about 7-8. Not one of them failed on me. They are built so good.

You seem like you're very unlucky no matter what amp you get. :confused: :confused:

Considering how few problems people have said they've had, not to mention the high level of customer service that Peter is known for, even if I got one that had problems, and even if it made me a little leery, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Diezel. They didn't get the reputation of being built like tanks for nothing.

ChurchHill":1ao1z6ah said:
Considering how few problems people have said they've had, not to mention the high level of customer service that Peter is known for, even if I got one that had problems, and even if it made me a little leery, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Diezel. They didn't get the reputation of being built like tanks for nothing.

Agreed, I'd get another. I bought a Bogner Helios that had issues, and had no qualms with exchanging for another. Sounded damn good, (but I ended up selling because my Splawn had the same tones and more aggression and 1/3 the price).

I've owned a bunch of Diezels... would never hesitate to own another or recommend one. I'd also suspect GC first or a cold preamp tube socket solder joint second. Not for nothing, I'd also try subbing in a 3rd and 4th new/known to be good preamp tube in to the same spot to be sure to rule out bad tubes. It can happen with today's quality of new tubes. Just sayin.

Wizard of Ozz":25ort0rf said:
I'd also try subbing in a 3rd and 4th new/known to be good preamp tube in to the same spot to be sure to rule out bad tubes. It can happen with today's quality of new tubes. Just sayin.
Really good suggestion... too many bad tubes getting through these days.

Wizard of Ozz":1fr7jcu5 said:
I've owned a bunch of Diezels... would never hesitate to own another or recommend one. I'd also suspect GC first or a cold preamp tube socket solder joint second. Not for nothing, I'd also try subbing in a 3rd and 4th new/known to be good preamp tube in to the same spot to be sure to rule out bad tubes. It can happen with today's quality of new tubes. Just sayin.

a defective tube wouldn't be touch sensitive. At least I've never seen one that was.

Anyway, I just dropped it off at GC and had them order me another one. I imagine it will ship Monday and be here Wednesday

splatter":258xau1j said:
Wizard of Ozz":258xau1j said:

a defective tube wouldn't be touch sensitive. At least I've never seen one that was.

Anyway, I just dropped it off at GC and had them order me another one. I imagine it will ship Monday and be here Wednesday

Right on. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I've seen a few tubes that were touch sensitive like that. I *think* it was a defect with the pins, like some were just different sized enough to create a problem or another issue with the pins. Probably could've just as easily been the tube socket needing to be re-tensioned. In any case, I'd still guess that your first one had a cold solder joint, but that's just my guess. GC certainly isn't known for their white glove treatment.

In any case, I hope that you have much better luck with the replacement. :) I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes. BTW, your descriptions of the VH2 have really been pushing me towards picking the VH2 over the VH4. I don't think I can justify both (especially when they offer amps like Paul and Big Max), but... how many Diezels do I really need?? LOL!

ChurchHill":2wldmw1p said:
I've seen a few tubes that were touch sensitive like that. I *think* it was a defect with the pins, like some were just different sized enough to create a problem or another issue with the pins. Probably could've just as easily been the tube socket needing to be re-tensioned. In any case, I'd still guess that your first one had a cold solder joint, but that's just my guess. GC certainly isn't known for their white glove treatment.

In any case, I hope that you have much better luck with the replacement. :) I'll be looking forward to hearing how it goes. BTW, your descriptions of the VH2 have really been pushing me towards picking the VH2 over the VH4. I don't think I can justify both (especially when they offer amps like Paul and Big Max), but... how many Diezels do I really need?? LOL!

I really feel like it was a cold solder joint also. Either way its no longer my problem.

I was really thinking about the VH4 but it would have been almost 2k more ( I traded an amp and got an extra $15% off) then you have to have a midi controller, so for me it was just too much of an investment. Especially since I'm not currently in a band.
Also I can use the drive on my FX8 to make the clean sound pretty dirty so that gives me sort of a 3 channel amp.

Also chiming in that I’ve had a few VH4s. I guess they are made differently since the sockets are chassis mounted, but those things are nearly bomb proof and Peter is great. If you like the amp, I’d stick it out with a replacement. I can’t imagine Peter wouldn’t take care of you.

Did you return it to the GC Reno? They have a used one for sale. Wondering if it should be buyer beware!

LunatiBSW":36mdfxm2 said:
Did you return it to the GC Reno? They have a used one for sale. Wondering if it should be buyer beware!

No I returned it to Atlanta. But that doesn't mean the one in reno isn't my old one. I sold a LP custom to them once and it ended up in hollywood.

When dealing with GC the buyer should always beware

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=199218

Back