"New music" from Chris Cornell...

MrDowntown

You guys may know of this...it may, in fact, be old news...or perhaps not news at all. I hadn't heard anything about this so...Copy/pasted from a news article:

New Chris Cornell music is being released more than a year after his death.

Cornell's widow Vicky is behind the new album "Chris Cornell," as well as a four-disc box set. Both will be released November 16.

The first track from both projects is titled "When Bad Does Good." Vicky Cornell says it came from her husband's archives.

The box set will contain 11 unreleased tracks. Both projects will include his solo work as well as music made with Audioslave, Soundgarden and Temple of the Dog.

Vicky Cornell says the album is for his fans and she wanted to remind people of all different aspects of him — "he friend, husband and father, the risk taker and innovator, the poet and artist."

Cornell died in May 2017 at 52 and his death was ruled a suicide.

Dude could flat out sing....

Whether it's a gold mining expedition by his wife or not, I'm glad the material is being put out for the fans rather than being locked away indefinitely. I wish the same could be done for others that have passed away.

I'm out too. I know the money goes to his family and kids, but I have zero respect for anyone (including their music/books/films/whatever) when they choose suicide. Liked his music, but have no desire to listen or support any of it anymore.

I change the radio station whenever I hear his voice, and don't listen to my old Soundgarden albums anymore either.

vultures":1zqt6rcn said:
I'm out too. I know the money goes to his family and kids, but I have zero respect for anyone (including their music/books/films/whatever) when they choose suicide. Liked his music, but have no desire to listen or support any of it anymore.

I don't think he chose suicide, mental illness is beyond explanation, but anyway.

jlb32":1ph9lts5 said:
vultures":1ph9lts5 said:

I don't think he chose suicide, mental illness is beyond explanation, but anyway.
Yes. This.
Loved the guy. :thumbsup:
It’s not a ‘hey what’s on tv!’ Moment. For real
They are called Demons for a reason. Lot of folks never see them.
God bless ya. Lot of us here have.
More then most folks talk publicly about.
Let’s say personally...I’ve sat down and watched tv with this guy.

Gosh, I wish there were +1 or "Like" buttons for posts on RigTalk. Mental illness is real. I've been incensed at family who chose death over life, but I've also felt the conflict of whether death is a better alternative, and it's a routine struggle. The less stigma we place on suicidal thoughts, the more willing people will be to address them in constructive ways.

Chris Cornell was an idol of mine. He's the Hendrix/Morrison/Cobain/Lennon level idol--the one I wanted to emulate.

Suicide isn't a rational choice made by a healthy individual. Either you're physically terminally ill and suicide is a rational decision, or you're mentally in an irrational place and succumb to the impulse. I don't know if I'm going to buy this Chris Cornell box set, but chances are I will. He's still the best songwriter of the past ~40 years in my opinion.

(edit)
OH, AND BY THE WAY

Maybe this goes towards our beliefs around the afterlife and cognizance of what happens after we die, but...

That you would choose not to spend your money to support a guy who committed suicide has absolutely NO impact on whether or not someone is going to choose to commit suicide. It's not like boycotting a product because a company supports the torture of puppies or something.

Back