Saw the Eagles last night.

mooncobra

Saw them play in san fran at at&t park. Man, they put on a great show. Total pros. Glenn Frey's son Deacon sounds almost exactly like his dad, and also a total pro. Joe Walsh, as usual, cutting it super strict going nuts, playing so good. Steuart Smith also played great, he is a great guitarist. Flawless, the entire night, not a mistake, just spot on! One thing I didn't like was Henley putting his solo stuff in the set, especially his 80s stuff. Saw them on the Hell Freezes Over Tour, and this was almost as good. Not many guys can play every night and sound like their albums. Some people say its a good thing, while others say its bad. I enjoyed it.

Forgot to mention, Vince Gill was awesome. He was throwing down heavy complex leads as if they were nothing. Played rhythm guitar and sang beautifully like Deacon did. When Vince Gill was playing a tele, he was getting INSANELY GOOD TONE!! he even broke out a Les Paul for a few different songs. He played a different Les Paul for each song. Joe Walsh was also getting great tone. I think he was playing through a DR. Z and I could not make out what the other amp he was playing. He also busted out a couple guitars that I had never seen before, as I didn't have a clue as to who made them.One even had a Floyd Rose on it. Him and Steuart Smith both played Ernie Balls through out the night including a double neck played by Smith for the Hotel California solo!! I know people like to say Freebird and Hotel California are worn out and cheesy. But to me, Hotel California is awesome, wont ever get old, and the solo is totally AWESOME!!!!

Yeah - even if you hate those guys, they’re still a force to be reckoned with in terms of musicianship and songwriting. The documentary on those guys is one of the best band documentaries ever made. At least the first half is absolutely fascinating.

how were the vocals, specifically, the harmonies (live)? not seen them in person since their most recent transformation...but from the vid's ive seen posted they sound f'kn killer with VG in the line up...and Deacon is pretty damn good fit as well...

MrDowntown":stt07dfr said:
how were the vocals, specifically, the harmonies (live)? not seen them in person since their most recent transformation...but from the vid's ive seen posted they sound f'kn killer with VG in the line up...and Deacon is pretty damn good fit as well...

The vocals were EPIC. Deacon can sing with the best of them, and Vince Gill sang beautifully!! Plus, he was cutting it very strict on guitar. He effortlessly tore through the solos, and in a couple of his songs he opened up the workshop and went berserk. He can play!!!

The vocals were spot on, sounded exactly like an Eagles album. Like I said before, to some people that is not what they want, they want a raw live show, but others prefer it to be spot on and sound exactly like the album,. I thought it was great.

The Eagles played for about 2 1/2 hours. The set included some of the Henley solo stuff, and I could have done without that. Although, Walsh played a couple James Gang songs and that was awesome. Crazy thing is, Walsh is 70!! Yet, his leads are spot on!! You can tell he is having a blast. Smiling all night, cutting loose playing insane solos with precision seldom seen, especially by a 70 year old!!

MrDowntown":2h2xaf70 said:

The harmonies were perfect. Those guys are pros and perfectionists, they would not go do a tour if any part of their scene was suffering in any way.

Just watched a few vids from the tour and can say I would happily go and see them without Glenn. Watched Vince do take it to the limit and once again wondered why Joe doesn't sing the lead (thought the same thing when Glenn did it on the Melbourne DVD) .. Joes voice is a lot closer to in style to Randy's than vinces or glenns

They are awesome and will always be one of my favorite bands. My mom always had that Greatest Hits 8 track in the car when we were kids...finally got to see them in 02 in St Paul and they were flawless.
Good to hear they still bring it.

mooncobra":11c4461z said:
I know people like to say Freebird and Hotel California are worn out and cheesy. But to me, Hotel California is awesome, wont ever get old, and the solo is totally AWESOME!!!!
Absolutely!! The Hotel California solo is just perfect. Not too fast, not too composed, completely fits the song, great tone, just perfect! Freebird is, too, just the way it builds to a frenzy. For that matter, Stairway to Heaven is still a great song (at least when I actually listen to it instead of blowing it off because I've heard it 1,000,001 times).

ChurchHill":7ynu1hsc said:
mooncobra":7ynu1hsc said:
I know people like to say Freebird and Hotel California are worn out and cheesy. But to me, Hotel California is awesome, wont ever get old, and the solo is totally AWESOME!!!!
Absolutely!! The Hotel California solo is just perfect. Not too fast, not too composed, completely fits the song, great tone, just perfect! Freebird is, too, just the way it builds to a frenzy. For that matter, Stairway to Heaven is still a great song (at least when I actually listen to it instead of blowing it off because I've heard it 1,000,001 times).

Dude!! Stairway to Heaven solo is EPIC!!

mooncobra":9wu4xwpn said:
Gsxrbusa":9wu4xwpn said:
Did you guys catch that Eagles documentary? So freakin cool.

I am going to have to watch that. Where is it available? When did it come out?

It's on Netflix. It came out in 2013. I highly recommend it.

I saw Don Felder last Summer and his band put on an awesome show. They sounded perfect, vocals were great even though not the same sounding voices as Henley and Frey.

Back