NAD - Mesa TC100

BSRIAudio

Been wanting a bit more power for my rehearsal/tour rig after playing a Splawn Nitro SS 50 watter for the last several years. Considered a pile of high gain channel switchers with at least 100w output and 2 gain channels on a budget of $1500 for the last few months and hadn't been able to bite the bullet on a any of the options I looked at. Then a bargain on a clean TC100 popped up and I decided to jump on it after watching a bunch of demos. This is the least Mesa-sounding Mesa head I've ever owned. My first tube amp was a Dual Rectifier in 2000 and it was great but nowadays they're too focused on the low end and high mids for me. The TC100 has a much broader response and killer gain tones without wounding inherently 'metal' like a Rectifier which is a nice surprise. Seems like the channels are all very close copies with different levels of gain available which is exactly the kind of amp I like. Between the Lo and Hi channels I can get any gain pairing I want which is perfect since I have to cover a lot of ground between multiple projects. Not sure this one will beat out my Science heads to make it on any of this year's records but its def going to get a lot of play outside the studio.

OoDpw5Rl.jpg

Set up an A/B/Y rig for a bit to compare to the Nitro SS and they have a lot in common. The Splawn has much more sub bass on tap without woofing out at lower volumes but I think its been getting a little muddy at its peak volume where I usually play in rehearsal. The mesa is quite a bit more refined which is a nice change of pace. The Mesa also has a lot less harshness on the top end. Ill have to see how it cuts in practice. The mid controls sit right where I want them which is perfect for my project where there is another guitarist and I can just crank the midrange to cut through. Technically the Splawn has 4 gain sounds but the different modes and OD1/OD2 on the Nitro SS barely make any difference in practice. You absolutely cant tell the difference between them while playing with a band. My old QR worked nicely between Gear 1 and Gear 2 but that was a more dramatic voicing difference than what this amp has I think. So on that front its much nicer to have the extra gain channel on the mesa for lighter crunch sounds. Back to riffing for now...

73alfyYl.jpg

Pretty sweet man. Congrats.

I can't believe I have not had the chance to play these yet. I heard lots of mixed to negative reviews on these when they first came out but after the dust settled I was convinced that it is a great amp. Really happy for you. Great looking amp too. Very classy.

PS: You have one hell of a music room there. I remember now. Crazy.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Congrats!! I've been curious about these... heard some good things about them, too. Any chance you'll post some clips?

311splawndude":2i0wvgs3 said:
Pretty sweet man. Congrats.

I can't believe I have not had the chance to play these yet. I heard lots of mixed to negative reviews on these when they first came out but after the dust settled I was convinced that it is a great amp. Really happy for you. Great looking amp too. Very classy.

PS: You have one hell of a music room there. I remember now. Crazy.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Most of the negative reviews I read were from typical internet forum people where I could tell what they wanted was not what I wanted. A lot of guys that seem like they never play outside their basement and go through every trendy amp as they come and flip them within a month.

I read some bad reviews of the loop. Totally unfounded IMO. Loop sounds great. The old Rectifier loop sucks a lot of fullness out of the amp which blows but this loop is very transparent to me. Actually sounds better on than off because I have one pedal with in/out level compensation switches that gives a small boost just from being in the chain.

I wanted a similar overall tone to my Marshall-based amps with more flexibility, output, and the extra channel and I got exactly that.

Back