Soldano SLO 100’s...not one for sale anywhere new or used?

RedPlated":28coai97 said:
There was one with a 212 cab on Reverb yesterday. Shows now that it’s no longer available. The price is shown as $5500.

I saw one like that at the GC in LaMesa, CA about two years ago. Someone had taken the chassis and put it into a combo shell with two 12" speakers. The SLO headshell was included in the sale. I think it was around $3500. I sold my SLO about a year ago for $2700 and don't miss it. I'm a Marshall guy these days. I got my SLO in an even trade for a guitar I had $1000 into. I paid shipping both ways, so I basically had $1200 into a like new SLO. It served me well for several years of band work.

I wouldn't doubt if Mike sells the rights to Boutique Amp Distribution. Might as well. They make everything now.

I know 2 guys that are picking up used SLOs at super high prices thinking they won't be made ever again & they'll be worth $20K soon.

They're in for a rude awakening. They will never be worth $20k.

Doughboy":2z3hpptf said:
I wouldn't doubt if Mike sells the rights to Boutique Amp Distribution. Might as well. They make everything now.

I know 2 guys that are picking up used SLOs at super high prices thinking they won't be made ever again & they'll be worth $20K soon.

They're in for a rude awakening. They will never be worth $20k.

Exactly! ;)

I'd be tempted to sell my on speculation that I could pick it up later, but really the prices aren't nearly high enough for me to do that. Back around 2000, I sold a bunch of my 70's Marshalls off with the same thought process. They've never come back down in value, despite there being an absolute ton of them out there. They haven't gone up much more than inflation in that time either so I could go do it if motivated.

Plus, I've had my SLO for a couple of decades. I tend to get attached to my gear and hang onto it.

Supply and Demand. Bottom line. No more 2C+ being made, and you can pick one up for 2500-3500 depending on options. Same amount produced as SLOs. After the initial freak out wears off, prices will come back to what we've been used to.
Patience.

Racerxrated":7pb5aqfc said:
Supply and Demand. Bottom line. No more 2C+ being made, and you can pick one up for 2500-3500 depending on options. Same amount produced as SLOs. After the initial freak out wears off, prices will come back to what we've been used to.
Patience.

Yep. The prices will drop back down when 90% of people who panic-bought an SLO remember why they weren't using one before the retirement buzz started.

Snave":p1oi14wv said:
Racerxrated":p1oi14wv said:
Patience.

Yep. The prices will drop back down when 90% of people who panic-bought an SLO remember why they weren't using one before the retirement buzz started.

In a year or two, they will be the same as they were last year, if not less.

I know guys paying $3500-4,000 for used ones thinking they will never be made again & the price will triple. :doh:

Snave":19k9getp said:
Racerxrated":19k9getp said:
Patience.

Exactly

the Rig Talk professionals have spoken on future SLO pricing.

30 years, 3000 SLO's, that's not a lot of stock in the market place. they have already gone up and common sense (not feelings) will tell one that the price will likely go higher. the people buying probably run in different circles, are long time SLO owners and most likely, have more than 1 already.

steve_k":rzmx4cfv said:

30 years, 3000 SLO's, that's not a lot of stock in the market place. they have already gone up and common sense (not feelings) will tell one that the price will likely go higher. the people buying probably run in different circles, are long time SLO owners and most likely, have more than 1 already.

I do agree with this logic.

It’s a simple case of supply and demand. Supply has ended. Demand will never go away for these amps, they are legendary. Less than 3000 units is not a lot for the entire world. Sure, someone will possibly take over production of the SLO100 or create an SLO mkii. But NO ONE will ever make the original Mike Soldano built amps. Those will always be regarded as the most desirable, no doubt.

I’m really on the fence about selling mine...

RedPlated":umyhjbrp said:
steve_k":umyhjbrp said:

It’s a simple case of supply and demand. Supply has ended. Demand will never go away for these amps, they are legendary. Less than 3000 units is not a lot for the entire world. Sure, someone will possibly take over production of the SLO100 or create an SLO mkii. But NO ONE will ever make the original Mike Soldano built amps. Those will always be regarded as the most desirable, no doubt.

In 10, 20 years down the road, there won't be demand for any amps. Where's my legendary Zenith black and white tube television from the 1960s? Worthless, apart from some sort of quirky bookcase in a hipster apartment.

narad":34ihk770 said:
RedPlated":34ihk770 said:
steve_k":34ihk770 said:

In 10, 20 years down the road, there won't be demand for any amps. Where's my legendary Zenith black and white tube television from the 1960s? Worthless, apart from some sort of quirky bookcase in a hipster apartment.

Because you know so many culturally influential artists used Zenith TVs to create some of the greatest art of the 20th century. I'm sure you're right because I'm sure those old vinyl record players from years past are practically worthless now... :doh:

narad":ys2wowob said:
RedPlated":ys2wowob said:
steve_k":ys2wowob said:

This would make sense IF what replaced your (and mine lol) ancient tube TV wasn't a shit ton better than the old.

None of the "better than tube" amps (if you can call them amps) are better, let alone equal to a good tube amp. I've heard, played and owned an AXE and Kemper. They still fall short on a direct comparison, and to me are a long ways off. They are nice additions to a tube amp and are great for recording, and make sense for guys that don't want to haul a ton of gear. But my tube amps sound and feel better than either option.

Racerxrated":2dnu90wn said:
narad":2dnu90wn said:
RedPlated":2dnu90wn said:
steve_k":2dnu90wn said:

This would make sense IF what replaced your (and mine lol) ancient tube TV wasn't a shit ton better than the old.

None of the "better than tube" amps (if you can call them amps) are better, let alone equal to a good tube amp. I've heard, played and owned an AXE and Kemper. They still fall short on a direct comparison, and to me are a long ways off. They are nice additions to a tube amp and are great for recording, and make sense for guys that don't want to haul a ton of gear. But my tube amps sound and feel better than either option.

I totally agree. But the rate of improvement in these things is massive, and the market is catering more and more to people that don't want tube amps. That's just more incentive for people to crack that market, driving innovation.

Nothing out there now would convince me to sell any of my amps, but 10 years from now? I'd bet all my amps that I'll prefer something else by then.

There was one dealer who still had new SLOs and was asking greater than $5k for them. Not sure if they sold or not.

As far as the long term price, I do expect them to calm down in a while. It will be interested to see what the prices of the HR25 does as well, glad I got mine last year.

I sold my SLO last month to a local guy a few towns north that has bought a number of Soldano things off me over the past few years. He has a nice collection going; just about one of everything except the rack stuff. Mine had cosmetics that were far, far from mint. I gigged and recorded the hell out of it, but did nothing with it for the past 18 months. I cut him a break at 3k because of all the other stuff he's bought from me. I probably could've held out for a lot more and shipped it. Meh, I made some damn good coin on it at that price. Plus, he'll let me borrow it for a session or whatever if I really have to have 'that' tone for some reason.

I'd rather focus on playing than owning an amp that just sits 98% of the time.

BackCrack":3jsry97u said:
I sold my SLO last month to a local guy a few towns north that has bought a number of Soldano things off me over the past few years. He has a nice collection going; just about one of everything except the rack stuff. Mine had cosmetics that were far, far from mint. I gigged and recorded the hell out of it, but did nothing with it for the past 18 months. I cut him a break at 3k because of all the other stuff he's bought from me. I probably could've held out for a lot more and shipped it. Meh, I made some damn good coin on it at that price. Plus, he'll let me borrow it for a session or whatever if I really have to have 'that' tone for some reason.

I'd rather focus on playing than owning an amp that just sits 98% of the time.
They are great amps, I've had three and they all killed. I'd try to get it as Marshally as possible, and with that power section there was nothing better. Until I tried a Wizard MCI. As great as the SLO is, for what I like the Wizard does it best. And as killer the SLO power section is the MCI is even better. For my needs.
But, if I had the cash to grab another at a good price I definitely would.
:rock:

blackba":2zz4ipoe said:
It will be interested to see what the prices of the HR25 does as well, glad I got mine last year.

There do not seem to be any Hot Rod 25's around for sale either.

Death by Uberschall":12suzoru said:
Wonder how this will affect the SLO Lifetime Warranty?

maddnotez":12suzoru said:
sadistik42":12suzoru said:
Piero the Guitarero":12suzoru said:
If Mike quits and retirers .... what happens with the transfereble lifetime-warranty?

If someone else isn't taking over production and servicing, you can probably transfer it to your garbage bin.

Honestly though who has ever needed to use it? Those amps seem to be very clean and well made. Any good tech should be able to fix whatever issues may arise, yeah I get it no free repairs but unless you happen to live near a certified tech (I have no idea who is certified with Soldano) you would probably pay just as much to ship the amp vs. bringing to your local tech.

Back