Is there a Furman PQ3 alternative?

I would absolutely go for a PEQ pedal. 3 parametric bands with adjustable frequency/gain/Q and an adjustable highpass and lowpass filter and a master gain control would be perfect. Some ability to switch each band on/off individually would be nice during tuning, such as with a small toggle switch per band.

One more entry. The Tech21 Q-Strip. The Q isn’t adjustable, but the frequencies and gains are.

RACKSYSTEMS":2pkn1ppi said:
I have been thinking about making a pq3 pedal.. would you guys be interested.. should I make one?

Definitely would. Especially if it was pedal size for my board, and bonus if it took a battery! When I was using the boss ms3 parametric, I had like 5 different boost versions lol. Parametric as a boost is crazy effective.

Well I am going to do it as authentically as possible. Will be comparing to a original. Will try and make it lower noise then the original.. but if that changes the tone to much I have to go with the original chips.. we shall see. It will be awhile though.

Dave, that's awesome! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. More than willing to deal with some noise to retain the original sound.

RACKSYSTEMS":1txly67s said:
I have been thinking about making a pq3 pedal.. would you guys be interested.. should I make one?

I asked you this exact question on the Suhr Tone Talk and you suggested a Buxom Boost, but a PQ3 pedal would be awesome Dave. I'll def buy it.

Especially with a little less noise ;-) But hey if it's the original in a pedal it would be awesome, been wanting that forever.

Watching the Tim Pierce episode at the moment btw - Tone Talk is the best thing on YouTube, love it.

I am also ok with a bit of noise. Isolated power supply and noise gate will take care of that. I feel this obsession with high quality components and hi-fi transparency sometimes comes with a loss in mojo..

RACKSYSTEMS":3mobqbjr said:
I would love to have one of those! Please add me to the short list.
\m/

I think building a PQ3 pedal would be a cool, but a waste. They were great units, but after owning a few, I found the TC 1140... which was superior in both noise floor and options.

RACKSYSTEMS":1ocbz3ts said:
I do Mr Friedman.. A parametric Eq can do wonders to a Pedalboards, Amp Effect Loop, Bass,Guitar or any instrument. One of the magic keys to those wonderful 80's and 70's tones.

Kapo_Polenton":29gdv7n9 said:
RACKSYSTEMS":29gdv7n9 said:

Yep, definitely a chance at getting in on an untapped area of the market. Make sure it can take a standard 2204 and boost it into good crunch and we have a winner.

That would be a great idea. Run the EQ into the low level input of a 2204, then hit a footswitch to boost it into overdrive with the right-sounding aggressive tight roaring crunch.

RaceU4her":2a37eolx said:
surprised no mention of the aphex one Hetfield and others have used.

Hmm that reminds me. Yeah James Hetfield had a pair of these running with with MarkIIC+ (or maybe with two MarkIIC+'s). I think it was either to cut or boost around 120Hz, but I don't know which way.

Back