Is there a Furman PQ3 alternative?

I'm looking at the HBE Paul Gilbert Detox EQ, as a substitute. It's simplified, down to Treble, Mid, Bass, Level. But I'm hoping to get similar results.

We'll see. :D

Mark Cameron told me there is a pedal called a PQ3 (I think) that he likes. I think he said it was an older pedal not made any more, but he said he liked it as much as the furman (IIRC)

I told him I had never heard of it, but I am sure he knows better than me.

Other than the fact they're both eq's I can't see any similarities between those 2 units. One is a 3 band parametric eq and the other is a 3 band eq. There is no question which one will give you more control/options for shaping your tone, but more options doesn't necessarily = better sound. Years ago I used to run a PQ3 through the loop of a rectifier and sold it because I could get the same sound with a Boss GE-7 in the loop. Go figure.

I have a PQ3 again now and currently use it (until I get my Bloody Murder), but IMO there isn't anything elusive about the PQ3 sound. It's a noisy unit, especially running through the front of an amp. The real issue is there just aren't enough parametric eq's, hence your thread. Then couple that with the fact that a few very influential guitarists played one and this piece ends up revered.

Rant over :D

Assuming you're looking for a parametric eq since you want a PQ3 alternative, this is what I know is out there as far as parametrics go. For rack mount I know Rane made a few (and still make one, but it's $$$) and TC Electronics made one, but I have no personal experience with either. I've only heard a couple of people say anything about the Rane units. It was positive, but no real details. They're were like $300 & $400 new, but I can't the resale being high. I imagine you could track one of these down easily. As for the TC, I've heard more about that one. All I've read was very positive and it's supposed to be much quieter than the PQ3. I don't think I've read a post from anyone who has played both the TC and PQ3 who hasn't preferred the TC. However, those are more scarce than the PQ3 and I have no idea what they go for on the used market. There are other units, but those are more geared towards studio mixing/mastering. Boss also made a pedal for awhile. It was a PQ something. Those are hard to come by too. Sorry to not give you anything concrete, there just isn't much out there as far as parametric eq's go. If there's more I'd like to know myself.

Last I heard the Doug Aldrich pedal was just going to be a one off for him. I don't think they have any idea how many people would by those.

The PQ3 is the Boss pedal I mentioned. I couldn't remember the name in my last post.

There was also an old Ibanez 9 series parametric EQ too.

If you can, look for a used TC Electronic 1140 or 2240. They're rack mount parametric EQs and from what I've read, quieter than the Furman.

EvilBatman":3bha5rif said:
If you can, look for a used TC Electronic 1140 or 2240. They're rack mount parametric EQs and from what I've read, quieter than the Furman.

These two units pwn everything else mentioned in this thread.

PQ4.jpg

EvilBatman":32z4tpee said:

This ^ :thumbsup:

I had a PQ3 and immediately sold it when I got my TC 1140. I found it superior to the Furman in every way.

Rufus Leaking":1sp03x5a said:
EvilBatman":1sp03x5a said:

I had a PQ3 and immediately sold it when I got my TC 1140. I found it superior to the Furman in every way.

Did I sell you that 1140?? :confused:

guitarslinger":2ddv0kx1 said:
Rufus Leaking":2ddv0kx1 said:
EvilBatman":2ddv0kx1 said:

Did I sell you that 1140?? :confused:

I believe you did.... :yes:

thegame":2d6wi57v said:
Juggernaut":2d6wi57v said:

I had one of these. One of the biggest tone suckers I've ever heard. Impossible to get a flat sound out of.
Its a POS.

Yeah these are terrible, they take away more than they add. The pq-3 seems to have a certain warmth to it that i haven't heard from any parametric eq pedal.

Back