Facelift guitar tone

AmpliFIRE

This is easily my favorite guitar tone ever recorded. I know Cantrell used a bunch of amps on Dirt (Fish, Shiva, Recto, 5150, Marshall).

What did he use on Facelift? I thought I read somewhere that it was primarily a Marshall 2205?

Pair of Fish anybody ????

cantrellguitarmag.jpg

AmpliFIRE":1bbrs2ws said:
This is easily my favorite guitar tone ever recorded. I know Cantrell used a bunch of amps on Dirt (Fish, Shiva, Recto, 5150, Marshall).

What did he use on Facelift? I thought I read somewhere that it was primarily a Marshall 2205?

I have a ton of old guitar magazines so i can check. I know he was using the Fish but I'm not 100% sure he used it on Facelift.

And yes, the rhythm tone on Facelift just crushes. That's a great album, i like it better than Dirt.

Posted from the Bogner forum (http://bognerampforum.informe.com/fish-reissue-2008-dt706.html:)

Hello Fellas!Normally i dont do the forum thing but i have some interesting info to share.My name is Ronnie Champagne im a Producer/Engineer/Guitarist,i was in the Hollywood studio game from 1984 to 1998.I recorded Janes Addiction's "NOTHINGS SHOCKING"and 'RITUAL DE LO HABITUAL",as well as Dave Navarro and Eric Avery's "DECONSTRUCTION" for Rick Rubin.I also recorded ALICE IN CHAINS "FACELIFT" as well as SOCIAL DISTORTION and MY SISTERS MACHINE's "DIVA" and a few hundred more around the world as well as touring europe and africa and canada and the u.s.I just wanted to clarify what msr.Bogner has on his web site about the Fish and Jerry Cantrell.But lets backtrack a little.When i was recording "nothings shocking" i was using my own amps,a black face fender bassman 50,a late 70's,early 80's marshall jcm 800 50 and a silverface twin loaded with greenbacks.plus a 60's marshall 4x12 with greenies...i was getting great tones using a modified r.k.butler tube driver to hit my amps hard...anyways back in the day ANDY BRAUER RENTALS had some great gear so i used them all the time for extra tones,well we finished nothings shocking and i was listening to how un satisfied i was with the tones(they still rock though)so i got it by the grapevine that steve and joe and eddie had these mods done by this new guy,msr B.,when it came time to start preproduction on janes "ritual" i was told there was a modded marshall at brauers that i should check out...i did...and i wouldnt give it back!!!it was a jcm 800 just like the one i owned.So i took mine over to Brauers where Bogner was now working before he got funding for his own line...i asked him if he would do to mine exactly what he had done to this rental...he said no...i said you dont get this one back...i finally pleaded with him telling him that it was in his best interest considering i knew what was in the pipeline and i think we paid him double,hehe!any ways thats when the SNORKLER was born.it was originally a combo that i bought in canada in '83,used.Actually i traded a half stack for it and some dosh as i was moving to los angeles and didnt want to lug a half stack around...well the rest is history as they say...everyone who got to use my baby wanted to buy it from me.i think Jerry offered me 5 grand at one point a couple years after facelift went platinum because he couldnt get the tone from the bog's he got...my favorite tone is using a drop d tuning telecaster thru the snorkler and two 4x12's....its the voice of god!we used that combo alot on Facelift doubled with Jerry's G & L 's...my 69 les paul custom fucking kills it and my es 135 sounds like butter with fangs!!!Contrary to popular belief i always went straight into the snorkler and then mic into neve 1073 into la-2a direct to tape(studer a-800 16 track tw0 inch.)i used the fender bassman for clean tracks and slightly raunchy brown tones then left the solos for the SNORKLER.I recorded most of Jerry's solos and Lanes vocals at Capitol Studios hollywood studio "a".I put my 4x12 greenies in a stairwell,which made everyone go crazy!!!thats my style....and recorded the natural ambience so it sounded fucking real and HUGE...dont know if they will let me do that trick ever again!!!but hey i want to sell millions of records so they can suck it up,cuz i pay their wages!!!Anyways thats pretty much the set up i have used since 1990 or so...
So as far as the Fish pre amp goes,well thats not what we used,ever...I think my snorkler is one of the 6 best sounding amps ever made and they all were modded by rheinhold...hes a fucking genius.Its priceless to me,made me and others a lot of money just trying to crush some fucking skulls via ROCK GUITAR!!!...any questions?

I have always heard the actual recording of "Facelift" was a Bogner modified JCM800. So this story coincides what I've always heard. This guy (I think) has been verified as legit. Jerry's live tone though was actually the Fish, from what I've heard.

I know Cantrell used a bunch of amps on Dirt (Fish, Shiva, Recto, 5150, Marshall).

I'm very sure Reinhold hadn't even invented the Shiva during the "Dirt" period.

Hello Fellas!Normally i dont do the forum thing but i have some interesting info to share.My name is Ronnie Champagne im a Producer/Engineer/Guitarist,i was in the Hollywood studio game from 1984 to 1998.I recorded Janes Addiction's "NOTHINGS SHOCKING"and 'RITUAL DE LO HABITUAL",as well as Dave Navarro and Eric Avery's "DECONSTRUCTION" for Rick Rubin.I also recorded ALICE IN CHAINS "FACELIFT" as well as SOCIAL DISTORTION and MY SISTERS MACHINE's "DIVA" and a few hundred more around the world as well as touring europe and africa and canada and the u.s.I just wanted to clarify what msr.Bogner has on his web site about the Fish and Jerry Cantrell.But lets backtrack a little.When i was recording "nothings shocking" i was using my own amps,a black face fender bassman 50,a late 70's,early 80's marshall jcm 800 50 and a silverface twin loaded with greenbacks.plus a 60's marshall 4x12 with greenies...i was getting great tones using a modified r.k.butler tube driver to hit my amps hard...anyways back in the day ANDY BRAUER RENTALS had some great gear so i used them all the time for extra tones,well we finished nothings shocking and i was listening to how un satisfied i was with the tones(they still rock though)so i got it by the grapevine that steve and joe and eddie had these mods done by this new guy,msr B.,when it came time to start preproduction on janes "ritual" i was told there was a modded marshall at brauers that i should check out...i did...and i wouldnt give it back!!!it was a jcm 800 just like the one i owned.So i took mine over to Brauers where Bogner was now working before he got funding for his own line...i asked him if he would do to mine exactly what he had done to this rental...he said no...i said you dont get this one back...i finally pleaded with him telling him that it was in his best interest considering i knew what was in the pipeline and i think we paid him double,hehe!any ways thats when the SNORKLER was born.it was originally a combo that i bought in canada in '83,used.Actually i traded a half stack for it and some dosh as i was moving to los angeles and didnt want to lug a half stack around...well the rest is history as they say...everyone who got to use my baby wanted to buy it from me.i think Jerry offered me 5 grand at one point a couple years after facelift went platinum because he couldnt get the tone from the bog's he got...my favorite tone is using a drop d tuning telecaster thru the snorkler and two 4x12's....its the voice of god!we used that combo alot on Facelift doubled with Jerry's G & L 's...my 69 les paul custom fucking kills it and my es 135 sounds like butter with fangs!!!Contrary to popular belief i always went straight into the snorkler and then mic into neve 1073 into la-2a direct to tape(studer a-800 16 track tw0 inch.)i used the fender bassman for clean tracks and slightly raunchy brown tones then left the solos for the SNORKLER.I recorded most of Jerry's solos and Lanes vocals at Capitol Studios hollywood studio "a".I put my 4x12 greenies in a stairwell,which made everyone go crazy!!!thats my style....and recorded the natural ambience so it sounded fucking real and HUGE...dont know if they will let me do that trick ever again!!!but hey i want to sell millions of records so they can suck it up,cuz i pay their wages!!!Anyways thats pretty much the set up i have used since 1990 or so...
So as far as the Fish pre amp goes,well thats not what we used,ever...I think my snorkler is one of the 6 best sounding amps ever made and they all were modded by rheinhold...hes a fucking genius.Its priceless to me,made me and others a lot of money just trying to crush some fucking skulls via ROCK GUITAR!!!...any questions?

Interesting read. :thumbsup:

Glimpse":1mhoj1kj said:
I have always heard the actual recording of "Facelift" was a Bogner modified JCM800. So this story coincides what I've always heard. This guy (I think) has been verified as legit. Jerry's live tone though was actually the Fish, from what I've heard.

I know where the Snorkler's twin is :yes: I've tried to buy it on 4 different occasions..current owner bought the head and a Bogner 4x12 straight cab from the original owner for $1000 shipped

* velcro-fly *":1juznbt8 said:
I know where the Snorkler's twin is :yes: I've tried to buy it on 4 different occasions..current owner bought the head and a Bogner 4x12 straight cab from the original owner for $1000 shipped

:shocked: Woah, that's awesome!

Who has it out of curiosity?

* velcro-fly *":ikyms6pg said:
Glimpse":ikyms6pg said:

you better hook me up with the info bro :gethim:

i actually recall reading an interview YEARS ago and him stating he played a JCM800 Combo for Facelift and his G& L. its my fav AIC record and I'll never forget their first tour at Universal Amphitheatre in Orange County, CA where they opened for Van Halen on the F.U.C.K tour and Eddie came out jammed with him on Man in a Box! You should have seen the look on Jerry's face..classic moment

A

AmpliFIRE":3lbgn6e9 said:
you better hook me up with the info bro :gethim:

Not a chance....eventually he will become weak or his kids will need braces, and he's already given me dibs :yes:

Besides, I already passed one deal on to you that I should've nabbed for myself ;) :LOL: :LOL:

Side note about the telecaster statement. I remember reading a quote, by Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, in an ancient article saying that a lot of the heavy tracks on BadMotorfinger were done with a telecaster and those pups translated to some massive tones and it surprised people. (probably through some kinda modded/boosted marshall as well?) I've been listening to that lately and there is a lot of cool stuff going on in that disc. Interesting that there is a claim that another awesome heavy tone (Cantrell/Facelift) was by tele, too. Who'd have thought that?

I saw AIC on the Clash of the Titans tour in 1991. Great tone, best of the night. At that point I think it was Fish/MosValve SS power amp/GB loaded Marshall cabs.

* velcro-fly *":2kb9y3eb said:

You're going to create a feeding frenzy with the Cantrell tone chasers. :LOL: :LOL:

I meet Jerry when he was working at a gas station.
Bought him a hamburger when he had no job and laughed at him
when he said "I do not need a job I'm going to play guitar".
He still says hi when I run into him.
It has been years now.
Larry Brewer is one of my best friends.
Just go look at the credits of Badmoterfinger and a shit load of other records to see who he is.
The whole Seattle music thing was made out of about 25/30 people.
This included band members.
About the time things broke the circle was very small and I know most of them.
I know the guy who sold him the amp he used on some of it. I well try to give him a call this weekend to see what he remembers.

I got one.
When I lived in CA a year or so ago, I go check out this amp on Craigslist.
It's listed as "Bogner Modded Marshall". I go check it out the guy is some studio musician guy plays on peoples songs and such. So I play the amp through a 70' Marshall cab, and it sounds good.
I asked him how he came about the mod, somehow he had some connect to Bogner and he said he was at Bogner's shop and he basically was tweaking the head while he was playing till he got it.
Maybe I should have bought it.
The thing that turned me off was that the thing had more knobs and switches than the flight deck of the space shuttle.
I figured I would be turning knobs all day instead of playing.

But when he was showing me the amp he was playing a Tele..........................
ALthough I don't remember him saying anything about prducing recording anyones albums.

Turns out also the guy is from back east and when I told Greazygeo about it, he knew who the guy was frm the scene back there.

Shiny_Surface":1ecue34k said:
* velcro-fly *":1ecue34k said:

You're going to create a feeding frenzy with the Cantrell tone chasers. :LOL: :LOL:

Heh...they can frenzy all they want. That tone is actually a lot closer than they may realize. My XTC Classic has it in spades...the larger contributor is the feel factor thats unique to the player...

Back in the mid 90's when the band I was in practiced at NAFT ~ AIC room was on one side and Sound Garden was on the other. Most of the "big" bands around were playing there. I had seen Jerry play thru a number of rigs. Jerry sounds like Jerry.
It always killed me when I would turn around and 10 or 15 of these guys would be standing there.
I would be thinking "God I sound like shit today". and crack me up when I would see one them play one of my riffs. A few of them told me they knew how to play all my songs.

thegame":2bl8inok said:
I saw AIC on the Clash of the Titans tour in 1991. Great tone, best of the night. At that point I think it was Fish/MosValve SS power amp/GB loaded Marshall cabs.
My band opened for them on their first tour. That's the rig he was using, not sure what was in the cabs though. He had a good sound for sure.

Back