Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Nov 22, 2017 6:08am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 3:33pm 
Supah Stah

Some of you may remember a thread I started about raccoons in my attic. Well, the other night there was a loud noise coming from behind the attic door...sounded like viscious animals fighting. When the noise calmed down a bit I opened the door to see what the heck was going on. I saw two raccoons. One of em ran and hide. The other one, about 8 feet away from me, looked at me for a moment and then charged at me. Holy shit!!! This thing is huge, about 30 lbs. It was growling like a damned little demon bear running right at me with teeth flashing. I jumped back just as it pulled up short and went back to the other side of the attic. It growled a few more times and the retreated back in the attic where I couldn't see.

That's it damn it!!! I tried trapping the sons-a-bitches for several months now with no luck. Tonight I go to the local gun store and get me a .177 1500 fps pellet gun and I'm going on safari. I've had it. I'd get a .22 cal pellet gun but they're illegal in my state. I figure at 8 feet with 1500 fps it'll be enough.

Sorry animal lovers... :gethim: :gethim: :gethim:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 3:57pm 
Immortal Rock God

Pellet gun huh? and when it charges you are going to hit it good enough to drop it where it stands huh??

Good luck bro!!!!!!!

:hys: :hys: :checkthisout: :worship: :uzi: :powpow: :codeak: :cheers2:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 4:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

You've got to ask yourself - WWTND (what would the Nuge do?).

Loincloth and a hunting knife should be all you need bro... :thumbsup: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 4:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

pellet gun???

whatever happened to good ol' fashioned wrastling with them?

Winner takes all! Loser gets rabies!

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 4:30pm 
Supah Stah

take a baseball bat with you.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:05pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Lution wrote:
pellet gun???

whatever happened to good ol' fashioned wrastling with them?

Winner takes all! Loser gets rabies!

Ha! I was picturing Thunder Dome 2 go in.. 1 comes out!

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:08pm 
Rock God

Take a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. :thumbsup:

My videos/soundclips :
http://www.youtube.com/dangower88
http://soundcloud.com/dangower88

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:27pm 
Rock God

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear you're still having problems. I said it before, but I'll say it again...

-Left hand = Beer!
-Right hand = Wiffle Bat!

....reeeeaaaadyyyy...aaaaaaannd...GO!

Kurgan's Bane
"She wouldn't make love, but she could make good sandwich!" - Ian Anderson

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I'd try trapping it (use some gas station nachos, that is according to the show Exterminators :lol: :LOL: ) or, as a last straw, using some strictnine laced hamburger to kill it. I've only encountered a few racoons in my life, and I don't think any of them would have been brought down that easily with a pellet gun. Oh well, whatever happens I wish you the best of luck in getting it out of your house and not being hurt in the process.

Positive Transactions: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, leod_74 (HC), Juggernaut, Dimebag11 (HC), floydroseuser (HC), LordOVchaoS (HC), Duderanimous (HC), Red Planet (TGP), MatrixClaw, Danyeo, Panic (Dean)

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:43pm 
Rock God

.177 to take down a snarling thirty pound racoon? You feeling lucky? :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 5:59pm 
Supah Stah

The average pellet gun has a muzzle velocity of about 450 fps. The standard muzzle velocity of a .22 cal rifle has a muzzle velocity of about 1200 fps. The pellet gun I just bought has a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps with lead free pellets and 1200 fps with the heavier lead pellets. These raccoons usually sit about only 10' away on the other side of the attic. I don't think I'll have much of an issue.

More to come... :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 6:03pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

amiller wrote:
The average pellet gun has a muzzle velocity of about 450 fps. The standard muzzle velocity of a .22 cal rifle has a muzzle velocity of about 1200 fps. The pellet gun I just bought has a muzzle velocity of 1500 fps with lead free pellets and 1200 fps with the heavier lead pellets. These raccoons usually sit about only 10' away on the other side of the attic. I don't think I'll have much of an issue.

More to come... :lol: :LOL:

Put a little dish of children's tylenol up there first. Get them to slow down a bit before you start shooting up the place. :lol: :LOL:

Positive Transactions: O'Rourke, 92lx50, Chubtone, leod_74 (HC), Juggernaut, Dimebag11 (HC), floydroseuser (HC), LordOVchaoS (HC), Duderanimous (HC), Red Planet (TGP), MatrixClaw, Danyeo, Panic (Dean)

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 6:07pm 
Rock God Trainee

this has the makings for a classic thread! :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 6:25pm 
Just a Peasant

Let me just say that if you somehow miss or don't kill it, and you get into a scrap with that 30lb. racoon, you'll end up winning if you're determined, but that rascal is going to bring *some* pain that you won't forget. Whatever you do, make sure you don't end up wrasslin' with it.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:04pm 
Supah Stah

Bob Savage wrote:
Let me just say that if you somehow miss or don't kill it, and you get into a scrap with that 30lb. racoon, you'll end up winning if you're determined, but that rascal is going to bring *some* pain that you won't forget. Whatever you do, make sure you don't end up wrasslin' with it.

I hear you and I have NO intention of "wrasslin'" wit dat critter...I saw it's teeth...yikes. Usually, they stay on the other side of the attic. If it does come my way, I have a 7' metal poll that I'll use until it gets to da utter side o da attic. Once it's on the other side of the attic it usually just sits there eyeballing me...dats when I plan on doing the deed. :gethim: :scared: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:11pm 
Just a Peasant

It usually takes 3 or 4 shots from a .22 to bring down a coon. Hope you're quick with the ole pellet gun. :powpow: :salute:

Ampeg VH140C
DSL 100H w/ Ruby EL34's
2555X

Juggernaut x2, mrp5150, jessxxx, marshall law, rockstarnick ,cauplin overdrive, nbarts, motorpud, grunge782, jabps, blackba, Ihave27frets, AusTexCap, Charface,napalmdeath, killertone, irondeth21, gunboatstudio,Brianiac5150,Mailman1971,drs448,nighttrain69, 232cap, tubebury51, axemane, Jeff Hilligan, shredHeadJCJ,MYLISS, maddnotez, just42dave, craftm1, valvequeen, dooredge, slyvren, Business, the rossness, tlingen, SandyRavage ........

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:21pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

haha this is awesome. i can't wait to see some more updates
:uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:27pm 
Rock God

Clips?...

:D :lol: :LOL:

My videos/soundclips :
http://www.youtube.com/dangower88
http://soundcloud.com/dangower88

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

If there's a God in heaven, you will film this encounter for the rest of us to live through vicariously... :thumbsup: :yes: :

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 7:41pm 
Just a Peasant

amiller wrote:
I hear you and I have NO intention of "wrasslin'" wit dat critter...I saw it's teeth...yikes. Usually, they stay on the other side of the attic. If it does come my way, I have a 7' metal poll that I'll use until it gets to da utter side o da attic. Once it's on the other side of the attic it usually just sits there eyeballing me...dats when I plan on doing the deed. :gethim: :scared: :lol: :LOL:

Try not to create any pellet sized roof leaks. ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:13pm 
Supah Stah

Bulletin update:

The gun came with a really cool scope. I spent about a 1/2 hour site’n the scope in for the 10' distance. I got pretty close but realized at the short range I'd have to aim a little high. I went into the attic with my flash light to see if I needed to site it in a little more. My plan was to find an old box or something in the attic to use as a target.

I opened the door and damn...the raccoon runs across the attic...scared the crap out of me 'cause I just wasn't expecting to see it right away. Anyway, it stopped about 15' away and then decided to charge me again. I aimed the rifle and it backed down and moved about 10' away and sat there looking at me. I thought to myself...now's a good a time as any. I took a deep breath, sited in, let the breath out and squeezed the trigger.

Shit, the raccoon DROPPED like a sack of potatoes...DEAD, DONE, NO MORE...THIS IS AN X RACCOON!!! :gethim:

Actually, I don't feel real good about it, however, for the safety of my own pets, house and family...it was for the best.

I'll check the attic every night to see if there are any more of the critters. After I'm sure there are no more adults up there and I feel that it's safe, I'll do a through search to make sure there are no little ones hidden some where.

Success…with mixed feelings. :no:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:19pm 
you sighted the scope in for 10 feet :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: that is classic. do you know how to use a weedeater? :D

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:42pm 
Immortal Rock God

Holy shit what kind of pellet gun did you buy?!?!?!?!!?

It had to be done so dont be hard on yourself, I had to kill one that would not leave my garage one winter and was afraid the dog would tangle with it.

I had more than a pellet gun though................you the man!

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:43pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Al,
You got to have someone follow you with a video cam when you do this. I'm getting my pop corn ready to watch it :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:
Cheers,
Mike

PMs off, hit me via email

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:46pm 
Immortal Rock God

FortinAmps wrote:
Al,
You got to have someone follow you with a video cam when you do this. I'm getting my pop corn ready to watch it :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:
Cheers,
Mike

Mike, read several posts up.....it is done
:lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 8:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Digital Jams wrote:
FortinAmps wrote:
Al,
Cheers,
Mike

Mike, read several posts up.....it is done
:lol: :LOL:

Damn, I should of read the whole thread :doh: Well, the seeds of hate are now planted so maybe his big brother will show up...then he'll have to tape that one :lol: :LOL:

PMs off, hit me via email

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:01pm 
Rock God Trainee

Years ago when I was a kid, we had a opossum take up residence in our attic. When you opened the door to the garage/laundry room, it would run to the edge of the attic and hiss at you like a little vampire. I thought it was funny, but it would scare the crap out of my mom.

Dad didn't want to climb up there, so he took some thick PVC pipe (4 feet or so long) and ran a noose through it. waited by the door for mom to open it up, opossum ran to the edge and hissed at her, dad got the noose around the opossum's neck. :D

He pulled the noose tight so the critter's neck was against the pvc pipe and it was trapped, then walked out to the side of the house. held the pipe and noose with one hand, and pulled a handgun (I think a .38) out of his waistband.

Shot the little bastard in the head execution style out in the yard. :)

My old man is 69 now and not what he used to be, but I still think he could take me in a fight.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:03pm 
Rock God Trainee

amiller wrote:
Bulletin update:

The gun came with a really cool scope. I spent about a 1/2 hour site’n the scope in for the 10' distance.

10 feet? Is this a current pic of you?

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:28pm 
Supah Stah

SHAWN wrote:
you sighted the scope in for 10 feet :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: that is classic. do you know how to use a weedeater? :D

Hmmm...I might not know how to use a weedeater but it looks like I sure as hell know to use a rife...da raccoon is DEAD...ONE SHOT!!! :lol: :LOL:

Besides, it's pretty dark in the attic, the scope has illuminated cross hairs and I had fun using it. :D

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:30pm 
Supah Stah

stratotone wrote:
amiller wrote:
Bulletin update:

The gun came with a really cool scope. I spent about a 1/2 hour site’n the scope in for the 10' distance.

Hell no...those glasses are not nearly thick enough. :lol: :LOL: Besides, I had lasik surgery a few years ago. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:40pm 
Rock God Trainee

amiller wrote:
stratotone wrote:
amiller wrote:
Bulletin update:

Hell no...those glasses are not nearly thick enough. :lol: :LOL: Besides, I had lasik surgery a few years ago. :lol: :LOL:

:) You got the job done, that's what matters. Have you checked the attic for any other signs of critters? One type of animal will attack like that one did... they are called mothers. I'd make sure I didn't have a Racoon Daycare in my attic.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:41pm 
Rock God

Water bowl of antifreeze. I'd start there.

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:44pm 
Supah Stah

Mudder wrote:
Water bowl of antifreeze. I'd start there.

You're late to the party...ahhh...funeral. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:46pm 
Supah Stah

stratotone wrote:
amiller wrote:
stratotone wrote:
amiller wrote:
Bulletin update:

:) You got the job done, that's what matters. Have you checked the attic for any other signs of critters? One type of animal will attack like that one did... they are called mothers. I'd make sure I didn't have a Racoon Daycare in my attic.

Pete

Well, I know there was at least one other adult up there a few days ago when the two of them were fighting like crazy. And yes, I agree, it could have been a mother. I'll do a through search when I'm sure all of the adults are...ahhh...gone. :gethim: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:thumbsup: Good job Brah. I had a tangle with a rabbid posseum or correctly spelled oposseum a couple of summers ago. The thing was as big as a dog and it ran after my wife in the yard late one nite. As she got into thge house it crashed into the closed storm glass door. :lol: :LOL: She called me to come home and called the local police. :confused: I get there the two cops are argueing who is gonna deal with the creature. So I took an aluminium baseball bat, 34 inch long if my memory is still good and walked down to where it was sitting in front of my garage right in the middle of the spot the flood light bulbs were illuminating. I started actually talking to it. I was telling it" I really need you to go the hell on so I don't gotta hurt ya. " The friggin cops were laughing it up and my wife and those cops were standing at the top of the drive way feeling all safe. So MR.Aggresive lunges at me and bites the side of my leg right at the ankle. :cry: I had steel toe work boots on so as I jumped back a step before I realized It , I lost it and went MID-EVIL BULLISTIC on the crazed posseum. I did not stop until I felt better and I remember the two cops standing at the top of the driveway acting like they were gonna be sick. :lol: :LOL: Funny as hell. weak as hell also. Then they had a 5 minute discussion on who was gonna put the remains in the trunk of which of them's police cruiser. Gheez! A regular pair of teenage crybabies. :lol: :LOL: I also felt a touch bad a little later but when that moment came at the time, F'k it I just got shit done. Hey I did warn the fat little bastard. :lol: :LOL: ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:55pm 
Supah Stah

HOLLYWOOD wrote:
:thumbsup: Good job Brah. I had a tangle with a rabbid posseum or correctly spelled oposseum a couple of summers ago. The thing was as big as a dog and it ran after my wife in the yard late one nite. As she got into thge house it crashed into the closed storm glass door. :lol: :LOL: She called me to come home and called the local police. :confused: I get there the two cops are argueing who is gonna deal with the creature. So I took an aluminium baseball bat, 34 inch long if my memory is still good and walked down to wher it was sitting in front of my garage right in the middle of the spot the flood light bulbs were illuminating. I started actually talking to it. I was telling it" I really need you to go the hell on so I don't gotta hurt ya. " The friggin cops were laughing it up and my wife and those cops were standing at the top of the drive way feeling all safe. So MR.Aggresive lunges at me and bites the side of my leg right at the ankle. :cry: I had steel toe work boots on so as I jumped back a step before I realized It , I lost it and went MID-EVIL BULLISTIC on the crazed posseum. I did not stop until I felt better and I remember the two cops standing at the top of the driveway acting like they were gonna be sick. :lol: :LOL: Funny as hell. weak as hell also. Then they had a 5 minute discussion on who was gonna put the remains in the trunk of which of them's police cruiser. Gheez! A regular pair of teenage crybabies. :lol: :LOL: I also felt a touch bad a little later but when that moment came at the time, F'k it I just got shit done. Hey I did warn the fat little bastard. :lol: :LOL: ;)

Sounds like you did what you had to do. I felt bad at first but not so much now. The damn things were starting to take over my house. I tried live traps for months with no luck...smart bastids the kept stealing
the bait and springing the traps but never got caught. I finally just had enough of it. :gethim:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Oh, it was not until a good bit later that I realized the bite did not make it past my boot . :scared: So I got lucky . The rabies series of shots are pretty painful. That sux! So be careful. ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Hey you and I both have a Rocket fuel pedal. We could have ran that pedal in front of a solid state POS small combo amp and played it in front of the little aggrivating fellows wide open and the crummy fizz coming from the combo amps would pulverize them. :yes: :lol: :LOL: But then again, that's in-humane. Killing them was a whole lot nicer. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 9:59pm 
Supah Stah

For those of you interested, here's my weapon of choice and ammo used:

http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-silverstreak-177.html

http://www.airgundepot.com/benjamin-silverstreak-177.html

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:03pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:lol: :LOL: Holy hype'd up high powered hitman's toy. That mutha looks like something ya take on safari. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:03pm 
Supah Stah

HOLLYWOOD wrote:
Hey you and I both have a Rocket fuel pedal. We could have ran that pedal in front of a solid state POS small combo amp and played it in front of the little aggrivating fellows wide open and the crummy fizz coming from the combo amps would pulverize them. :yes: :lol: :LOL: But then again, that's in-humane. Killing them was a whole lot nicer. :thumbsup:

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

My home studio is upstairs and the space in the attic where the raccoons are is just right behind the studio wall. I play my amps very loud and I also have a drum set up there that gets lots of use. The noise hasn't bothered those critter one bit. :doh:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

amiller wrote:
HOLLYWOOD wrote:

My home studio is upstairs and the space in the attic where the raccoons are is just right behind the studio wall. I play my amps very loud and I also have a drum set up there that gets lots of use. The noise hasn't bothered those critter one bit. :doh:
Dude ya may have just killed a percentage of your fan club? :yes: Those guys were just trying to live the dream and club hop to all the good nite spots that had live jams. AND YOU SHOT EM. :gethim: Freakin Brutal. :lol: :LOL: :rock: I LOVE IT! :yes:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:07pm 
Supah Stah

HOLLYWOOD wrote:
:lol: :LOL: Holy hype'd up high powered hitman's toy. That mutha looks like something ya take on safari. :rock:

Yeah man, dat's what I've been telling folks. There were some doubters here that a pellet gun could take down a raccoon. Well, NO doubt now, especially with dat bad mo fo! :rock: :yes: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:08pm 
Supah Stah

HOLLYWOOD wrote:
amiller wrote:
HOLLYWOOD wrote:

Dude ya may have just killed a percentage of your fan club? :yes: Those guys were just trying to live the dream and club hop to all the good nite spots that had live jams. AND YOU SHOT EM. :gethim: Freakin Brutal. :lol: :LOL: :rock: I LOVE IT! :yes:

Yeah, I know, right...I just wasted part of my fan base. :cry: :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:rock: Yeah but look at the killer reputation you will have after a few days. This racoon tells that one and so on and so forth. The story gets embellished and by the next week you as the story goes will have killed 10 to 12 on a killing spree. :lol: :LOL: No racoons will ever come near your crib again. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:25pm 
Rock God

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:31pm 
Supah Stah

AmpliFIRE wrote:

Sorry man, I dumped da body in a near by swamp...gangland style. :yes: I figure da snapping turtles and da fishes are having their way wit it by now. :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:43pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

:thumbsup: Amiller, so you took care of da thing? Atta boy! Nothing like a little water disposal after a few moments of fun! :lol: :LOL: Next up the litigator. :gethim: You got a few pellets left right? :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 10:50pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Make yourself a nice raccoon hat now :rock:

PostPosted: Thu, Apr 09, 2009 11:14pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

lucky you didn't end up like this

good deals: Spaceboy, Fek, Juggernaut, cdavies, stefvorcide, messenger.