Replacing the EMG 25K pot with a 500K pot for passive?

jasonP

I have a ESP EC-1000, you know the Les Paul style. I bought a pair of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups from Dave(thanks dave!) and am now trying to find some pots that will fit are the same as the 25K mini ESP but in a 500k. They have a shaft bushing diameter of .31 instead of the .375" like most pots do. I would rather not have to drill out the guitar body. I've checked a couple places but it looks like I'm f... basically break out the drill!?

jasonP":3lmddn12 said:
I have a ESP EC-1000, you know the Les Paul style. I bought a pair of Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups from Dave(thanks dave!) and am now trying to find some pots that will fit are the same as the 25K mini ESP but in a 500k. They have a shaft bushing diameter of .31 instead of the .375" like most pots do. I would rather not have to drill out the guitar body. I've checked a couple places but it looks like I'm f... basically break out the drill!?

to be honest i wouldnt worry about drilling it out. they make 25k pots in the same size as 500k/1M pots. but the vise-versa is alot harder to look for or find.

clean the finish and get all the oil off from around the hole. take paper tape and put an X over the hole on both sides. sharpen the drill bit and use steady pressure - let the drillbit do all the work, dont let the drillbit slow down start from the top not the back. once drilled peel off the paper tape and you are good to go.

if you ever want to go back, they make 25k pots in a wide variety for different knobs and such that accept the common standard size hole.

It's always best to use a reamer and not a drill bit....much safer and no chipping of the finish. The amount you have to take off is so little.

Also, if you want a small shaft 500k pot, any of the overseas made Korean or China pots have the smaller shaft diameter. You can get them from WD.

http://www.wdmusic.com/metric_500k_pot.html

Btw, if you do have to drill as a last recourse, try this: use the reverse setting on the drill (like for backing out a screw rather than putting it in)...it'll take longer, but you won't splinter the finish that way.

Thanks guys for the help so far. Yeah I'm really neverous about drilling this bitch. That is the only reason why I want to try to keep the same bushing diameter. It has a thin flame cap on it so not sure how well that will go. Maybe just go and buy a wood drill bit or something and let it have it from the top down.

I really want to try those bourns pots out.

luxxtone was right - same method that i posted but if you can get a reamer instead use that. makes the job even easier :rock:

+1 on the bourns dude. you are the first one i ever heard on a forum mention them. i used one in my wolfgang and ill be getting one on my next guitar for sure when it gets in.

you have to be careful though some of them are so smoothe and slippery that they will move if you bump the guitar. but once you go with a bourns pot you will never go back. they are also gunaranteed for like 2 million turns - and thats just for the warranty to give out :rock:

Back