Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Dec 17, 2017 6:19pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Axe FX, worth it?
PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 6:50pm 
Apprentice NOOB

So I have been kicking around the idea of going rackmount for some good guitar fx. I still wanna use my diezel herbert for the distotion side of things but I was just wondering if the axe fx would be a good investment for just the mods and delays? I know these are very versitle for distortion and preamps, but are they worth it if I'm not going to be using all of it's potential? Any ideas? Or if you know of anything else that may suit my needs better. Thanks for reading, hope to hear some feedback.

Thanks,
Jay

Post subject: Re: Axe FX, worth it?
PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 7:24pm 
Immortal Rock God

dogbitesman wrote:
So I have been kicking around the idea of going rackmount for some good guitar fx. I still wanna use my diezel herbert for the distotion side of things but I was just wondering if the axe fx would be a good investment for just the mods and delays? I know these are very versitle for distortion and preamps, but are they worth it if I'm not going to be using all of it's potential? Any ideas? Or if you know of anything else that may suit my needs better. Thanks for reading, hope to hear some feedback.

Thanks,
Jay

Jay,
I think the AXe is worth it for what you want to do if you can afford it and it will always leave you the option to try it as a main rig should you ever want to do so or if you ever had a fly out gig.
With that said, if you just want modulation stuff and that's all you care to do, I think that you have many options either using the axe or something else. It's really a tough call.

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 7:36pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Keep in mind with the four cable method, you can theoretically use your Diezel's gain channels AND the amp models (which would bypass your Herbert's preamp by going straight to the FX return in your loop). You just program it all on your MIDI controller and go. And if you hate it you can always sell it for what you paid... they retain their value better than most new guitar gear these days.

G&L Custom Mahogany Legacy 2HB
Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus with BKP and 50s wiring
2012 Fender American Standard Telecaster
Axe FX II
Earcandy BuzzBomb 212 w/Guytron BigTone 55 Speakers
Genz Benz GFlex 212
EV ELX112P
Avid Eleven Rack

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 7:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I would get a G system by TC if you only want fx and stuff.

A big pedal board

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 7:52pm 
Immortal Rock God

Variable wrote:
Keep in mind with the four cable method, you can theoretically use your Diezel's gain channels AND the amp models (which would bypass your Herbert's preamp by going straight to the FX return in your loop). You just program it all on your MIDI controller and go. And if you hate it you can always sell it for what you paid... they retain their value better than most new guitar gear these days.

:rock: :rock: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 7:53pm 
ACShreds wrote:
I would get a G system by TC if you only want fx and stuff.

I wouldn't.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 8:18pm 
Rock God

I think they are! At 1st the clips were OK, but now the clips I've heard are great! I think if you are willing to pay for something and you're happy with what You've bought then its well worth it!!

My good deal list
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=152117

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 10:31pm 
Immortal Rock God

Compared to a good amp and a few pedals, they are a pain in the ass. That's me though. I don't want to sound like The Edge, nor do I want to do an Eruption intro, nor do I want to say a patch sounds just like a Dumble.

But..................................... :D

My band played a two set acoustic gig last night and the other day as I was deciding to what to set up and play, I dug out the ole AFX Standard and went through my desk mixer straight to some powered desk monitors just to have a muck around on the acoustic. It just blew my shorts off with the acoustic. I found a few presets and programmed them and grabbed the GCX Ground Controller and got the two talking. So, I dug out a 3 unit rack, put it a power supply and the AFX. At the gig, I went straight to the sound desk and through one of the power amps and to the FOH and piped it though the stage monitors. Did loads of Floyd covers, Soundgarden, etc. The sound and tone was amazing.

So, I could give a rats ass about an Axe FX for electric and normal stuff. For acoustic, this thing rules.

My two cents.....and remember that is all it is worth!

Steve

PostPosted: Fri, May 14, 2010 10:40pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Right on, some awesome insight from everyone. Thank you. Now I have to decide if I wanna part ways with my Uber to help raise some cash for one. Again, thanks for the comments back.

Jay

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 4:19am 
Luxxtone

steve_k wrote:
Compared to a good amp and a few pedals, they are a pain in the ass. That's me though. I don't want to sound like The Edge, nor do I want to do an Eruption intro, nor do I want to say a patch sounds just like a Dumble.

But..................................... :D

My band played a two set acoustic gig last night and the other day as I was deciding to what to set up and play, I dug out the ole AFX Standard and went through my desk mixer straight to some powered desk monitors just to have a muck around on the acoustic. It just blew my shorts off with the acoustic. I found a few presets and programmed them and grabbed the GCX Ground Controller and got the two talking. So, I dug out a 3 unit rack, put it a power supply and the AFX. At the gig, I went straight to the sound desk and through one of the power amps and to the FOH and piped it though the stage monitors. Did loads of Floyd covers, Soundgarden, etc. The sound and tone was amazing.

So, I could give a rats ass about an Axe FX for electric and normal stuff. For acoustic, this thing rules.

My two cents.....and remember that is all it is worth!

Steve

I've been telling guys for 2 years it is great with acoustics. Glad it worked for you.

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 8:23am 
Supah Stah

I would give it a shot. You could just use it as an effects processor with your existing amps and then have the ability to used it as a modleller live if you like and/or record direct any time night and day :)

Although I like the amp models and tone I hear fron them the thing that would be a major plus is the ablilty to direct record and get something usable down without shaking the house ;)

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 10:35am 
Rock God

For FX the AxeFX is probably the best unit out there. I didnt care for the amp and cab sims but the FX are top notch. Is it worth it? That is very subjective.

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 11:13am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

At that price range, if you're just looking to use the FX, I'd just get a TC Electronics G Force. But if you are looking to reap some of the other axe fx benefits as well I'd go for it.

Great deals here and on (the old) Harmony Central with: smucarolina, goldwing68nv, tkozuch, chakosh, Norton666

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 11:28am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

It's not like it's going to cost you much to try and buy.......the resale would be quick and not too painful........not like I'm selling mine though.......that would be HELL NO... :lol: :LOL:

Quilter Tone Block 201
Strymon Sunset OD
Mooer Radar

Guitars
EBMM Petrucci Majesty
Schecter SLS C-1 (Fishman Fluence)
Schecter SLS EX (EMG 57/66)

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 1:48pm 
Rock God

It's going to depend on what you want out of it. If you're going to use a lot of effects...reverb, chorus, delay, pitch, compressor, etc...then the AxeFX would be worth it. Quality effects. If you're only looking to use a few effects, then you can buy cheaper, more dedicated units that sound as good or better. You've just got to figure out what you are going to use and weigh the costs.

If you aren't sure what effects you may or may not use, and want to have many available, then the AxeFX would be a nice unit to have.

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 10:17pm 
Supah Stah

Alot of guys try the Axe Fx for just the FX. But then they realize how much the rest of it knocks their socks on their ass. :D

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 10:24pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Just thought I would share....

PostPosted: Sat, May 15, 2010 11:03pm 
Rock God

i bought it because i felt the rack effects were higher in quality than my tc gforce so it was a step up in that regard.
it's on a par with eventide or lexicon or tc but can do what all three are famous for, to about 90 percent accuracy.

then, it had impressive pedal models that seemed much less complicated than stringing pedals in front of my amp and trying to control the combinations with a switcher. again, about 90 percent there.

i also hoped to be able to use the amp models and ultimately make it a stand alone all in one unit. i've achieved that, and again, 90 percent there.

so in total we're missing 30 percent of the reality of the old school rig, but that's not bad. because once you learn the ins and outs you can compose tones much more complex when you consider you are using pedals, two different kinds of amps simultaneously, two different speaker cabs simultaneously, mics, parametric and graphic eqs, choruses, delays, verbs, pitch shifting, synthesizers, continuous control, mixers, in any order......that's huge.

my biggest complaints are:

the virtual amps are much more complicated to adjust than a real amp.

the tone controls are not as intuitive, instinctive, nor as musical as real amps.

in order to maximize your axefx rig with a pair of fr atomic cabs and a decent midi controller you are into it for considerable amounts of money to determine whether or not you even like it, and then it is a longer than normal learning curve before you become fluent with it.

i've had my ultra since november, and have considerable experience programming rack gear, and i'm still not even close to feeling totally knowledgeable with it. but it's all i gig with, has massive sound potential, and makes setup so easy, and listeners and observers seem to really like the sounds i come up with

PostPosted: Sun, May 16, 2010 8:04am 
Apprentice NOOB

Sweet, now is anyone interested in a bogner uber rev blue?? Haha

PostPosted: Sun, May 16, 2010 8:37am 
Rock God

TheEternal wrote:
Just thought I would share....

:lol: :LOL: