Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Dec 18, 2014 7:25am

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 8:40pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Apr 02, 2009 8:18pm
Posts: 797
What's your opinion of this speaker?

_________________
Marshall, Fender, blah, blah, blah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 9:08pm 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB
User avatar

Joined: Wed, Nov 25, 2009 1:18pm
Posts: 170
Location: Illinois
Depends on your application. In the Mesa context, I like them in the Lonestar combos and cabinets. I don't like the three-quarter back cabinets filled with them.

The C90s put in a good cabinet are stellar for clean tones and mid-gain tones. They're full, meaty, and articulate. That being said, all of that is incredibly subjective so your mileage may vary, that's just my opinion.

~B


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun, Nov 29, 2009 9:20pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Mar 16, 2007 10:15pm
Posts: 5633
Location: Sportsman's Paradise. LA.
I have them in a 2x12 open back Mesa cab and they sound big and clean. Not much break up in them.

_________________
My new band: LIGHT of DAY on YouTube

Image
“You think health care is expensive now, wait until it’s free!”

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that AS A GOVERNMENT GROWS, LIBERTY DECREASES." -Gerald Ford

"If you think becoming educated is difficult, try being stupid!!" - Death by Uberschall

Current amps:
Bogner Uberschall (Rev2), Blackstar HT-5, Carvin Tube 100, Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1957), HiWatt DR504, Marshall 9100, Mesa Dual Rec (#654/RevF/MkIII trans/chrm chas/blck dia), Mesa RoadKing (red croc), Mesa Tri-Axis/2:90, Randall RG80, Rivera K-Tre', Soldano SLO (chrm croc, dpth md), Spiegel 603a


Click Me-> Tapping into Voodoo Phull Phaser <-Click Me

Amp GOD Warning: Death by Uberschall hurts like a MOFO!!
The Amp GOD Chronicles (EBAY idiots!!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 3:09am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sun, Jun 25, 2006 6:17pm
Posts: 3200
Location: Norway
I have two 90s and two 75s in a 4x12. I like the sound of it, but I haven`t been able to A-B it with a full V30 cab, for example. I use it with a Mesa Caliber 50, and it can be as middy as you want, so the slight scoop of the 75s doesn`t bother me. It`s a tight and loud cab, that`s for sure.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 9:29am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 29, 2008 9:09am
Posts: 254
Location: Buffalo, NY
I have 2 C90s in the open back side of my Road King cab. They are very full sounding speakers. Pretty tight, even in the open back, with very good low end response. I'm shocked at the thump I'm getting out of them in an open back cab. They are not nearly as bright or harsh as the V30s (in the closed back side) they're paired with in the cab. Very well balanced speaker. I've also tried them out in a 2x12 oversized Mesa cab with a closed back. Again, very full sound to them. Huge low end in that oversized cab too. In both cabs, they sound great in a mix. Very full sound that sits well with the band.

I have some reservations about the speakers, though. I don't like how they sound when it's just me playing. They seem somewhat sterile and lacking character when I'm playing alone. They're actually some of my least favorite speakers in this application. The reason I keep them is I really love how they sound in a mix at volume. If I didn't play in a band, I'd probably never use them. But with the band, they sound fantastic.

_________________
Gibson, PRS, Fender, Diezel, Mesa, Mills Acoustics, Marshall


Last edited by mincy on Mon, Nov 30, 2009 9:51am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 9:39am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jul 08, 2006 6:51pm
Posts: 8781
Location: Michigan, USA
MC90's are great with the right amp. I don't like them typically with vintage or vintage voiced amps. They work great with the mesa mark series. I find them to be a pretty thick sounding speaker, clean, slightly bumped midrange, rolled off highs. They have more midrange and are thicker than a CL80, but have less mids than a WGS ET-65, but more bottom and high end than the ET-65.

Currently I have to MC-90's in the top of my Mesa metal grill 412. There are 2 EV's in the bottom. The cab is actually extremely versatile and sounds good with all my various amps. I did have a mesa metal grill 212 cab with the top open, it had 2 MC90's. I really got to heard just the MC90's in this cab, it was in that cab that I really formed my opinion about them. I think they are best mixed with other speakers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 10:25am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
I am frantically trying to find out if the C90's use the low resonance (444 55hz) or high resonance (1777 75 hz) cone. Anyone know ?

Celestion will not disclose this info. My question goes unanswered on the Mesa Forum :(

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 10:32am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 29, 2008 9:09am
Posts: 254
Location: Buffalo, NY
thegame wrote:
I am frantically trying to find out if the C90's use the low resonance (444 55hz) or high resonance (1777 75 hz) cone. Anyone know ?

Celestion will not disclose this info. My question goes unanswered on the Mesa Forum :(


I've got to pull the C90s out of my 2x12 and put them back in the Road King in the next week or so. I can see if there are any codes stamped on them and let you know.

_________________
Gibson, PRS, Fender, Diezel, Mesa, Mills Acoustics, Marshall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 10:39am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
mincy wrote:
thegame wrote:
I am frantically trying to find out if the C90's use the low resonance (444 55hz) or high resonance (1777 75 hz) cone. Anyone know ?

Celestion will not disclose this info. My question goes unanswered on the Mesa Forum :(


I've got to pull the C90s out of my 2x12 and put them back in the Road King in the next week or so. I can see if there are any codes stamped on them and let you know.


Thanks :)

I'll PM you soon regarding Dec. 13 :thumbsup:

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 11:36am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Apr 02, 2009 8:18pm
Posts: 797
Has anyone replaced their C90's with other speakers and had favorable results?

_________________
Marshall, Fender, blah, blah, blah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 3:59pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Mon, Nov 19, 2007 5:40pm
Posts: 4040
Location: Rig-Talked out
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 7:07pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
D-Rock wrote:
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??


No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 7:10pm 
Offline
Supah Stah

Joined: Mon, Nov 19, 2007 5:40pm
Posts: 4040
Location: Rig-Talked out
thegame wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??


No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !
Thanks, never heard of the G12-80.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 7:26pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Apr 02, 2009 8:18pm
Posts: 797
sixstrings wrote:
Has anyone replaced their C90's with other speakers and had favorable results?


?

_________________
Marshall, Fender, blah, blah, blah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 8:01pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 12:49pm
Posts: 13599
Location: NJ
I have a bunch of clips done with MC90's. I'll try and load some up.

_________________
My Clips.
http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 8:26pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Apr 02, 2009 8:18pm
Posts: 797
danyeo wrote:
I have a bunch of clips done with MC90's. I'll try and load some up.


Cool. What amps did you use?

_________________
Marshall, Fender, blah, blah, blah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 9:19pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 12:49pm
Posts: 13599
Location: NJ
sixstrings wrote:
danyeo wrote:
I have a bunch of clips done with MC90's. I'll try and load some up.


Cool. What amps did you use?


Boogie mostly. IIC+, IV, or III's.

_________________
My Clips.
http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 10:20pm 
Offline
Immortal Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Mon, Jun 26, 2006 12:49pm
Posts: 13599
Location: NJ
I put up a couple, one is Cookin Groove, the other is MC90 Rhythm.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music

_________________
My Clips.
http://soundcloud.com/danieldowning
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 9:49am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jul 08, 2006 6:51pm
Posts: 8781
Location: Michigan, USA
thegame wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??


No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !


I wouldn't say the MC90's are superior to the CL80's, in fact I prefer the CL80's by a small margin. I do know the prevailing opinion is that the MC90's are better though. The MC90's are thicker with more mids and a bit warmer. The CL80's are clearer with more bite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 9:57am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
blackba wrote:
thegame wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??


No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !


I wouldn't say the MC90's are superior to the CL80's, in fact I prefer the CL80's by a small margin. I do know the prevailing opinion is that the MC90's are better though. The MC90's are thicker with more mids and a bit warmer. The CL80's are clearer with more bite.


I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 10:00am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jul 08, 2006 6:51pm
Posts: 8781
Location: Michigan, USA
thegame wrote:

I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:


Never heard the G12-80's, can you describe how they compare to the CL80's and MC90's. I am a big CL80 fan overall :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 10:30am 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
blackba wrote:
thegame wrote:

I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:


Never heard the G12-80's, can you describe how they compare to the CL80's and MC90's. I am a big CL80 fan overall :)


Don't have much experience with MC90s, thats why I'm trying to find out more about them.

CL80s are a continuation of the original 80w speakers, not a reissue by any means. Compared to CL80s (which I hated at first, but warmed up to after I really cranked them), they both have that clean, accurate quality, but the old ones have alot more British sounding midrange, very very in your face. So in your face that I did not like them in my front loaded cab, while the CL80 was fine in there.

Its just very bold, with a bit of that EV brassy hardness to it. Its the only Celestion I've tried that is more aggressive in the mids than a V30, but it has loads more top and bottom than any V30.

Thats why I'm hoping the MC90 will be close to it, as many accounts say the MC90 and old 80 watter are much closer to each other than either is to the CL80.

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 11:42am 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 1:25am
Posts: 5541
Location: Suburbs of Buffalo, NY
-

_________________
Music creation/performance > collecting/flipping gear


Last edited by Shiny_Surface on Tue, Dec 01, 2009 12:14pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 11:49am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 29, 2008 9:09am
Posts: 254
Location: Buffalo, NY
thegame wrote:
Don't have much experience with MC90s, thats why I'm trying to find out more about them.

CL80s are a continuation of the original 80w speakers, not a reissue by any means. Compared to CL80s (which I hated at first, but warmed up to after I really cranked them), they both have that clean, accurate quality, but the old ones have alot more British sounding midrange, very very in your face. So in your face that I did not like them in my front loaded cab, while the CL80 was fine in there.

Its just very bold, with a bit of that EV brassy hardness to it. Its the only Celestion I've tried that is more aggressive in the mids than a V30, but it has loads more top and bottom than any V30.

Thats why I'm hoping the MC90 will be close to it, as many accounts say the MC90 and old 80 watter are much closer to each other than either is to the CL80.


I have a pair of MC90s I can bring up with me when we get together if you'd like. That would give you a chance to hear them side by side with your G12-80s. I'd be curious to hear that as well.

_________________
Gibson, PRS, Fender, Diezel, Mesa, Mills Acoustics, Marshall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 12:08pm 
Offline
Supah Stah
User avatar

Joined: Sat, Jun 24, 2006 3:54pm
Posts: 3154
Location: True North
mincy wrote:

I have a pair of MC90s I can bring up with me when we get together if you'd like. That would give you a chance to hear them side by side with your G12-80s. I'd be curious to hear that as well.


Yes ! I was going to ask you that, cool :thumbsup:

My friend says Sun Dec 13 is good. Let's shoot for the same time. If you have a different time preference, let me know.

_________________
Amps : LARRY custom build
Guitars : Bernie Rico Jr - Vixen & Diva
Cabs : 2 Bogner 4x12s & Mills Acoustics 4x12

Good deals with : locoed, Racerxrated, GreazyGeo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 12:16pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, May 29, 2008 9:09am
Posts: 254
Location: Buffalo, NY
thegame wrote:
Yes ! I was going to ask you that, cool :thumbsup:

My friend says Sun Dec 13 is good. Let's shoot for the same time. If you have a different time preference, let me know.


Works for me.

_________________
Gibson, PRS, Fender, Diezel, Mesa, Mills Acoustics, Marshall


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue, Dec 01, 2009 3:36pm 
Offline
Rock God
User avatar

Joined: Fri, Mar 16, 2007 10:15pm
Posts: 5633
Location: Sportsman's Paradise. LA.
danyeo wrote:
I put up a couple, one is Cookin Groove, the other is MC90 Rhythm.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music


Cookin Groove was very cool. :rock:

_________________
My new band: LIGHT of DAY on YouTube

Image
“You think health care is expensive now, wait until it’s free!”

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that AS A GOVERNMENT GROWS, LIBERTY DECREASES." -Gerald Ford

"If you think becoming educated is difficult, try being stupid!!" - Death by Uberschall

Current amps:
Bogner Uberschall (Rev2), Blackstar HT-5, Carvin Tube 100, Fender Tweed Deluxe 5E3 (1957), HiWatt DR504, Marshall 9100, Mesa Dual Rec (#654/RevF/MkIII trans/chrm chas/blck dia), Mesa RoadKing (red croc), Mesa Tri-Axis/2:90, Randall RG80, Rivera K-Tre', Soldano SLO (chrm croc, dpth md), Spiegel 603a


Click Me-> Tapping into Voodoo Phull Phaser <-Click Me

Amp GOD Warning: Death by Uberschall hurts like a MOFO!!
The Amp GOD Chronicles (EBAY idiots!!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed, Dec 02, 2009 10:49pm 
Offline
Plank Cranker Trainee
User avatar

Joined: Thu, Apr 02, 2009 8:18pm
Posts: 797
danyeo wrote:
I put up a couple, one is Cookin Groove, the other is MC90 Rhythm.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... tent=music


Some good sounding tunes man. +1 on Cookin Groove.

_________________
Marshall, Fender, blah, blah, blah


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03, 2009 12:14am 
Offline
Journeyman NOOB

Joined: Tue, Jul 18, 2006 5:47pm
Posts: 165
Location: Kingston, WA
I'm diggin' the C90 in my Mesa MkV combo! :thumbsup:

_________________
Guitars: USACG, PRS, Tacoma, MusicMan, Chandler
Amp: Fractal Audio, Atomic Amps, Egnater, Markbass
Effects: MXR, Boss, Tech21, T.A.E.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu, Dec 03, 2009 8:36am 
Offline
Plank Cranker Wanker

Joined: Sat, Oct 28, 2006 12:05am
Posts: 1197
It'sa very balanced speaker that's great for cleans to mid and even high gain. The Electradyne 1X12 combo uses it and it's a big part of the tone. Of course it works better with some amps than others and the only way to find out of you like it is to try it with your amp, not listening to a bunch of guys on message boards telling you how great or bad it is, so don't take my word for it. Just do it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beej, fearhk213, Google [Bot], Inca Roads, jimitrowerbolin, mystixboi, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group