Opinions Mesa Boogie C90 Speaker?

Depends on your application. In the Mesa context, I like them in the Lonestar combos and cabinets. I don't like the three-quarter back cabinets filled with them.

The C90s put in a good cabinet are stellar for clean tones and mid-gain tones. They're full, meaty, and articulate. That being said, all of that is incredibly subjective so your mileage may vary, that's just my opinion.

~B

I have two 90s and two 75s in a 4x12. I like the sound of it, but I haven`t been able to A-B it with a full V30 cab, for example. I use it with a Mesa Caliber 50, and it can be as middy as you want, so the slight scoop of the 75s doesn`t bother me. It`s a tight and loud cab, that`s for sure.

I have 2 C90s in the open back side of my Road King cab. They are very full sounding speakers. Pretty tight, even in the open back, with very good low end response. I'm shocked at the thump I'm getting out of them in an open back cab. They are not nearly as bright or harsh as the V30s (in the closed back side) they're paired with in the cab. Very well balanced speaker. I've also tried them out in a 2x12 oversized Mesa cab with a closed back. Again, very full sound to them. Huge low end in that oversized cab too. In both cabs, they sound great in a mix. Very full sound that sits well with the band.

I have some reservations about the speakers, though. I don't like how they sound when it's just me playing. They seem somewhat sterile and lacking character when I'm playing alone. They're actually some of my least favorite speakers in this application. The reason I keep them is I really love how they sound in a mix at volume. If I didn't play in a band, I'd probably never use them. But with the band, they sound fantastic.

MC90's are great with the right amp. I don't like them typically with vintage or vintage voiced amps. They work great with the mesa mark series. I find them to be a pretty thick sounding speaker, clean, slightly bumped midrange, rolled off highs. They have more midrange and are thicker than a CL80, but have less mids than a WGS ET-65, but more bottom and high end than the ET-65.

Currently I have to MC-90's in the top of my Mesa metal grill 412. There are 2 EV's in the bottom. The cab is actually extremely versatile and sounds good with all my various amps. I did have a mesa metal grill 212 cab with the top open, it had 2 MC90's. I really got to heard just the MC90's in this cab, it was in that cab that I really formed my opinion about them. I think they are best mixed with other speakers.

I am frantically trying to find out if the C90's use the low resonance (444 55hz) or high resonance (1777 75 hz) cone. Anyone know ?

Celestion will not disclose this info. My question goes unanswered on the Mesa Forum :(

thegame":390ihl5z said:
I am frantically trying to find out if the C90's use the low resonance (444 55hz) or high resonance (1777 75 hz) cone. Anyone know ?

Celestion will not disclose this info. My question goes unanswered on the Mesa Forum :(

I've got to pull the C90s out of my 2x12 and put them back in the Road King in the next week or so. I can see if there are any codes stamped on them and let you know.

mincy":3i2cbe1u said:
thegame":3i2cbe1u said:

I've got to pull the C90s out of my 2x12 and put them back in the Road King in the next week or so. I can see if there are any codes stamped on them and let you know.

I'll PM you soon regarding Dec. 13 :thumbsup:

Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??

D-Rock":3grxb8ai said:
Are these not Celestion CL-80's that Mesa has tweaked and raised the wattage by 10 watts? Just like their 70 watt V30's ??

No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !

thegame":3oc612sd said:
D-Rock":3oc612sd said:

No ! Its a G12-80 Mesa tweaked & raised wattage by 10 watts. Far superior to the CL80 !
Thanks, never heard of the G12-80.

thegame":o63nv35i said:
D-Rock":o63nv35i said:

I wouldn't say the MC90's are superior to the CL80's, in fact I prefer the CL80's by a small margin. I do know the prevailing opinion is that the MC90's are better though. The MC90's are thicker with more mids and a bit warmer. The CL80's are clearer with more bite.

blackba":wspwok10 said:
thegame":wspwok10 said:
D-Rock":wspwok10 said:

I wouldn't say the MC90's are superior to the CL80's, in fact I prefer the CL80's by a small margin. I do know the prevailing opinion is that the MC90's are better though. The MC90's are thicker with more mids and a bit warmer. The CL80's are clearer with more bite.

I meant the original early 80's G12-80 are superior to CL80s. They really are :yes:

Back