What's the best attenuator out there??

Marshallman

Here's my dilemma... I own a Carvin Legacy... but the things is just too loud. I can't enjoy the real potential of that amp. I was thinking of selling it and I am drooling over the Egnater Renegade lately. But in a way, I love the Legacy. I tried the Hotplate and find that it sucks my tone. Any recommendations?

Heard a lot of good things about the Faustine Phantom. Might want to check that one out. Some good YT videos of it.

I highly recommend the Alex's attenuator, search it on the gear page. If it can tame the Wizard, it can tame anything :rock:

ill put a vote in for the phantom. I would like to get one but they are expensive but from the vid clip below seems like they really do the trick.

I would check out the Weber mass and miniMass lineup. I have a Mini Mass, and it's very solid. It has some tone adjustments that let you sort your tone back out after attenuation. Reasonably priced too.

Jason_86_951":3tpat33p said:
http://www.aracom-amps.com/products/prx150.html

I think that is what I am going to get if I can save up the money. That attenuator is as much as one of my amps though, so its a tough sell for me.

I built a copy of the richter attenuator for about $150,it sounds way better than the thd hotplate and weber mass I tried!!!

I guess I have a tin ear but the Weber MASS I had and the Hotplate I have now work fine for me. My only gripe about the hotplate is that you need one for each ohmage, but 99% of my amps and cabs can be set to 16 ohms so I'm fine there.

Pete

I would say the Ho Ultimate, but that'll just start a whole bunch of posts stating how dangerous it is and it will blow up your amp. But mine sounds great and has worked flawlessly for several years. Wait... I guess I just did say that one :LOL: :LOL:

stratotone":1m412qzj said:
I guess I have a tin ear but the Weber MASS I had and the Hotplate I have now work fine for me. My only gripe about the hotplate is that you need one for each ohmage, but 99% of my amps and cabs can be set to 16 ohms so I'm fine there.

Pete
The thing I don't like about the HotPlate is that the continuous dial only applied to the highest attenuation level. If it applied to all, it would have been great...

Steve

psychodave":1q38cu4r said:
dstroud":1q38cu4r said:
I would say the Ho Ultimate, but that'll just start a whole bunch of posts stating how dangerous it is and it will blow up your amp. But mine sounds great and has worked flawlessly for several years. Wait... I guess I just did say that one :LOL: :LOL:

It works up until your amp blows up... :LOL: :LOL:

The UA will probably "work" after my amp blows up, but my amp won't work :D

bmf5150":1uojtgt8 said:
I built a copy of the richter attenuator for about $150,it sounds way better than the thd hotplate and weber mass I tried!!!

Did you find instructions online on how to build the attenuator?

The Leash? I've heard it's solid. Two others I've read good things about, the Dr Z and Trainwreck attenuators, essentially the same design.

donbarzini":1endrxlw said:
I have the Phantom, it is the best out of all the ones I tried. The Aracom unit came out after I was lucky enough to get the Phantom but I think that one would compare very close, the only problem I see personally with the unit is the size and weight. I would strongly recommend the Alex Attenuator to anyone who doesn't want to wait and wants a great unit for about half the price. I could live with the Alex if I didn't have the Phantom. When I owned the Alex, it didn't have the treble compensation feature which is really what it needed at lower volumes but it retained the amp's feel which is key IMO.

Nice license plate. Is that a 3U4 promo.

The faustine is really good. I heard one up close and there was no change in tone. I had a THD and tried UA. No comparison. Damn, I did not know the Faustine went up in cost. :no:

blackba":3tpl9463 said:
bmf5150":3tpl9463 said:

Did you find instructions online on how to build the attenuator?
No I did not...

Back