Mesa Mark III stripes....

Code001":3e4meg9i said:
jhale667":3e4meg9i said:
Mike was able to add a Master Volume control for the Rhythm 2 channel, which allows you to get that channel sounding a little more beefy without killing people...I was kinda jealous. That particular mod can't be done on the short-chassis... :no:

Yes, it can.

Bendinelli lied to me? Why, I oughta... :LOL: :LOL:

No, seriously, can it be done without giving up something on the back panel, say - the direct out volume control or something? :confused:

Mailman1971":3e4meg9i said:
Sweeeet! More good news about the Red stripe. Yes mine has the full package. Simulclass, Eq, reverb. Havent been this excited about an amp in a long time. Alot of good feedback on the Red Stripers. Hopefully I wont need to get it modded if it comes close to the Blue striper I heard last year. :rock:

I think you'll be totally stoked with it. :thumbsup:

Mailman1971":1v9zaicz said:
Sweeeet! More good news about the Red stripe. Yes mine has the full package. Simulclass, Eq, reverb. Havent been this excited about an amp in a long time. Alot of good feedback on the Red Stripers. Hopefully I wont need to get it modded if it comes close to the Blue striper I heard last year. :rock:
I told ya, red stripe all the way! :rock:

jhale667":es7q97dw said:
No, seriously, can it be done without giving up something on the back panel, say - the direct out volume control or something? :confused:

If you don't have reverb, you can use the hole that's covered up. If you do have reverb and don't want to give something up (as you mentioned above), you'll need to drill or buy a stacked dual pot. IMO, the reverb is shit anyway, so you might as well just ditch it. It's almost a requirement if you wanna rackmount the head, too.

Just mailed the money order off for it tonight!! :thumbsup:
Hopefully I should have it by next weekend but oh well....its MINE!! :D
Guy mentions the tubes sound fine but could be replaced. I was wondering if I should just grab a new quad for it? What you guys use? You can split them up right? Like pair of 6L6's and pair of EL34's? I would like to use all EL34's myself....
A buddy of mine told me as long as I buy mesa tubes....no Bias needed which sounds REALLY cool! :yes:

Code001":k1se6b31 said:
jhale667":k1se6b31 said:

If you don't have reverb, you can use the hole that's covered up. If you do have reverb and don't want to give something up (as you mentioned above), you'll need to drill or buy a stacked dual pot. IMO, the reverb is shit anyway, so you might as well just ditch it. It's almost a requirement if you wanna rackmount the head, too.

Yeah, it was a few years ago, but thought Mike B. had said it couldn't be done without sacrificing something, but sounds like the dual pot thing would be cool...probably would have it put where the direct volume control is, sorta makes sense to combine them.

My Mark III was in a rack-adapter when I bought it in '90, and I got the small Accutronics tank, fit it in there. I've since ditched my rack stuff, and put it in a MARK IV shell I traded a neighbor a Duncan Distortion for (knew it would fit, and knew I'd want to swap it out someday)....lol. Agree there's better stand-alone reverb effects on the market, but I only run it ever-so-slightly anyway, mostly because it's post effects-loop and it tends to make delays "breathe" in a cool way on the repeats...not really noticeable otherwise, but not sure I'd want to ditch it, I like it for that effect.

And congrats again, Mailman1971! :rock:

its funny....how much I loved the tone of the Mark III when I heard it....
But HATED my Recto when I owned it! :LOL: :LOL:
I wrote off all Mesa's after I owned that Recto. Then last year I heard the Mark III for the 1st time and it was a Killing machine! Why did Mesa stop making these amps????
They hang with anything else out there.
Oh well........I got mine!! :D

Mailman1971":2h3rrofw said:
its funny....how much I loved the tone of the Mark III when I heard it....
But HATED my Recto when I owned it! :LOL: :LOL:
I wrote off all Mesa's after I owned that Recto. Then last year I heard the Mark III for the 1st time and it was a Killing machine! Why did Mesa stop making these amps????
They hang with anything else out there.
Oh well........I got mine!! :D

I never understood why they essentially ditched the Mark series in favor of the Rectos, which IMHO are not all that (and certainly can't touch a Mark II or beyond) for as long as they did; though they were/are WILDLY popular -guess a million shoe-gazing nu-metallers and emo kids can't be wrong, but...never did anything for me, but then I'm spoiled! Heard a Mark series first, y'know?

Like I said, NEVER parting with mine, glad you're getting yours - and glad to see Mesa bringing the Boogie back with the V!

I figured it was with the death of hair metal and Hello KORN!! :LOL: :LOL:
That killed off the Mark Series after doing some homework.

Oh well....I like what I like. And love that tone of the Mark III. :yes:

If I could get my MIII mod'ed so that ch 1 & 2 had the same volume it would be a perfect Mk III. The Mesa Black Shadow 90 speaker in the combo really works with it. I tried other speakers but kept going back to it. Great amp but luvs to be cranked or have a THD hot plate on it. I think people try to get them to sound like Fender and Marshalls and get frustrated. I never like any Rectumfriers :LOL: :LOL: and the MK V has so many dials and switches :confused:
Enjoy!!!

The one I checked out was a blue stripe combo that we slaved into a 4X12 cab and played it at about Gig Level and it had this great CRUSHING tone! Super tight crunchy gain!! I never heard it at lower volumes though. But When we play its always at gig level so I dont think I have to worry about it sounding 'weak'..... :LOL: :LOL:

Guitarists that don't like rectos usually don't know how to dial em in... plus, master up high! and throw a tubescreamer in front. Glorious. Another trick is to roll the treble way down and use the presence control to bring the treble back in. It's a more dynamic amp than a Mark and much more low end punch as well. But ya know, apples and oranges?? I love the Mark series too and they do their own thing really well.

Never owned a Recto. I did have Mark III no stripe until recently. I enjoyed the Mark III but traded it toward a Bogner Shiva. I like the cleans better on the Shiva, the drive is very different than what I was dialing in on the Mark but I like it just as much.

I think the Mark III's are killer amps, I'd like to try some of the other versions but they aren't very common in my area.

Back