THE Rockman thread

PurposeToMelody

I made a thread yesterday, not a huge amount of interest but I'll post my compiled information anyways :D :D

I'm pretty much a newbie here but I figured i'd find a way to contribute!

The Power soak

This is the unit that started it all for SR&D. The power soak is device that you would place between head and the cabinet to attenuate to power delivered to the speakers. This allows you to crank the amp but maintain a reasonable sound level.

powersoak.jpg

Rockman X100

Then came the Rockman X100, it was introduced in the early 80's and was the first of the "walkman-style" practice amplifiers. In addition to the X100 there was a soloist and a bass rockman. Later the "Ace" series was introduced(junk in my opinion and most other rockman junkies).

It has Distortion/Edge/Clean1/Clean2 Also has Normal/chorus off/echo off (when in normal you play both chorus and echo)also has a 3 setting switch for volume (quiet, normal and loud) it also has 2 headphones out, guitar in, and a Aux In/Low level out.

The X100 was a revolutionary piece of gear. At the time there was nothing else like it. It was an instant hit and showed up on many professional recordings in the 80's & 90's (Ie. ZZ top Joe Satriani)

The X100 sounds best through a full range, flat response system like headphones, stereos, PA's and recording decks. It doesn't sound it's best as a preamp through a guitar amp.

rockman_top.jpg

Rockman Sustainer
Then came the "sustainer" the first of the "rockmodules" It became a huge hit in the 80s. It was one of the best preamps of the time, and in reality was one of the first "modelers". A couple of the cool features of the sustainer was the compresser that was at the beginning of the circut then on to the actually preamp/sound part of the module with Dist, Edge,Cln,Cln2 (clean 2 is like a staple of the 80s with it's very compressed and clean clean sound) the cool thing about the edge setting is the ability to use the "auto clean" where it works like a tube amp and you can use your volume to control the level of OD. there was also a Phase notcher (a control that lets you mimic the sound of the phase cancilation of a miced cab. There were three versions of the sustainer 100, 100A, and 200. The 100 and 100A are almost identical other than some very minor changes, the 100A was a crossover or transitional version of the 100 to the 200. the 100 and 100As usually have more gain are a bit louder (more hiss) and have a bit more grit, great for the 80s sound. The model 200's have less his and less gain a bit smoother better for the "boston" sound. The late Model 200s (89 or 90 and later) are the most sought after because of the double IC chips.

sustainor.jpg

Rockman Chorus/Delay
The Rockman Rockman Chorus/Delay was one of the first rockmodules introduced. Although there are many fans of this unit I think it has some limitations. You can only select the chorus or the delay, not both together. Also the maximum delay time is only 200ms. I personally like to use at least 250ms for an echo setting. The delay is not stereo.

Other than the above limitations the unit sounds great.

chorus-delay.jpg

Rockman Stereo Echo
This is perhaps one of the most desirable modules. The Rockman stereo echo is highly sought after and is considered by many to be one of the finest delays you can buy. Like the other modules it's beauty lies in it's simplicity.

The delay can be set to a maximum of 500ms. A curious feature of the unit is that the delay times are not exactly 1/2 of each other. The ratios were set like this so the delay would not step all over the mix.

To create a natural sunding delay there is a 6dB per octave rolloff in the feedback circuit. This means for every repeat the highs get softer and softer. This simulates the way a tape echo works.

this is easily one of the best analog delay you can ever get, they are still used in alot of studios today.

echo.jpg

Rockman Stereo Chorus

This one of my favorite pieces of Rockman gear and in my opinion of of the best sounding chorus units available. As with all Rockman gear it's just about impossible to get a bad sound out of the Rockman Chorus. The LONG switch selects a delay time of 20ms or 40ms. The longer delay creates a more intense effect and almost sounds like a doubler. It's great for thickening up a tone.

Though not evident by the front panel the Rockman Chorus also has a "sweep stop" feature which can be activated via footswitch. Sweep stop removes the modulation.

chorus2.jpg

Rockman EQ

All of the Rockman modules were designed out of need. What makes this EQ special is the concentration of frequencies in the mid-range, those most critical to the guitar.

I would run the EQ right after the sustainor. I like to add a little more bottom at 125hz if you want a bit less Rockmany. Tom Scholz would have an EQ before and after the sustainor. I would used the Rockman EQ on everything from guitars, drum machines, vocals and bass. Great Unit.

eq.jpg

Rockman Compressor
This is one of the Rockman modules I don't know much about since the sustainor has a built in compressor I never really payed attention to this unit.

That being said it was a favorite unit amongst guitarists. I once noticed one in the backstage warm-up rack for Eddie Van Halen. I don't know if it was used on his stage setup though

Rockman XPR
The Rockman XPR was one of the last pieces of gear to be offered by SR&D. This unit had it all, compressor, chorus, delay and pre/post EQ. As I mentioned earlier Tom used to run a EQ in both the pre and post distortion phases.

This unit had 100 midi accesible user-presets. I was never too interested in this unit since I had some of the other rockman modules already.

However, they offered the XPR in a 100W boombox, which I did drool over. :haha

xpr.jpg

xp100.jpg

Rockman Distortion Generator:
Nothing more than the Edge and Distortion circuit of the Sustainer with an added 3 band EQ before and a treble booster after the OD. Also has a MUCH improved Auto-Clean circuit

THE Boston sound (if you're interested)

Well, here are a couple of links to help you get started...
Rockman-Gearup.com
Rockmancentral.com
Rockman.fr

Now, I recommend you start with a Rockman sustainer (100 or 200, doesn't matter 100 if you're on a budget) and rockman distortion generator. Use the Rockman sustainer for clean 1 and 2, that is your clean module, for you rOD use the DG, on Edge and distortion. You're going to want to also buy a dual 15 band EQ I recommend the DBX 215, great little EQ for the price used, but any will do. You're going to want to put the first part of the EQ BEFORE the Compresser of the sustainer, and tweak to your hearts delight. After the sustainer and DG I would put a Chorus/delay, and use the delay setting on 200ms (the highest it goes) for making your chords really big and chunky. after that a Stereo Chorus Works great to fatten up your leads and chords on the "wide" setting. After all this put the second side of your EQ here and tweak some more. This will all run you about 650-750 USD on the used market. If you're really going for the Boston sound I recommend a LP style guitar with pretty hot pups (Scholz uses DiMarzio SDs) The best place to find the stuff is on ebay, but craigslist and gear ad's are always good places to look.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

MY distortion generator settings

1) Distortion Generator - Sustain:50, Harmonics:Med, Pre-Dist EQ:(+4, 0, 0), Treb Boost:+16

2) EQ (Post Dist) - 160HZ: -2, 200Hz: -3, 250Hz:-3, 500Hz:+2, 1KHZ:-3, 1.25KHZ:-2, 2KHZ:+3, 2.5KHZ:+4, 3.15KHZ:+4, 4KHZ:+5, 5KHZ:+3, 6.3 KHZ: -1, 8KHZ: -5

3) Stereo Chorus - Sweep:1/4, Output Mix:(Norm, Mono)

4) Stereo Echo - Feedback:2, Time:300ms, Echo Vol:7

a few clips

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2974259/untitled.wav

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/3-untitled%205.mp3

http://www.netmusicians.org/files/24-long%20time.mp3

The "Long Time" clip has NO post EQ or EQing whatsoever for that matter

If you were looking for something to suck all the character out of your guitar, this was it! Plug in a Tele, Les Paul, ES175 and they would all sound the same. :thumbsdown:

chunktone":35y3r6in said:
If you were looking for something to suck all the character out of your guitar, this was it! Plug in a Tele, Les Paul, ES175 and they would all sound the same. :thumbsdown:

Bah, I"m just a fanboi I guess :LOL: :LOL:

It's ok, if you don't like it. I do, and lots of your favorite 80s tones were done with them *shrug*

For the record that isn't true at all....

They all sound VERY different. it seems to perfer LP's though

In interviews at least one I can remember, Tom Scholz said he used a 50 watt Marshall with the Power Attenuater he made NOT one of the "Rockman" Units.

Excellent tones and songs.

robertkoa":3auxuk5v said:
In interviews at least one I can remember, Tom Scholz said he used a 50 watt Marshall with the Power Attenuater he made NOT one of the "Rockman" Units.

Excellent tones and songs.

He did use the whole suite of Rockmodules in 1986 and the live concerts around that time.

The Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay is a pretty cool, easy to use unit. It's very handy for learning about chorusing too.

He actually used his own gear and used the Plexi just as a power amp. Trust me... I know a thing or two about the Rockman line...

thing_of_beauty.jpg

I love the Rockman stuff, huge Boston fan. I still use the Octopus in my setup today.
Jerry

the X100 was awesome!!

when i played in a ski-circuit band, i would plug my guitarists gold top paul into one and wander the resort. usually hungover as a wolverine. cleared the cobwebs out of my head, and usually got some people to come to that bar that night. god, what a flashback. :D

i loved the sound of those little bastards. chorus was fat as hell. my guitarist in that band also used 2 powersoaks on 2 jcm800 half stacks. he had and awesome tone.

i had a sustainor (not sure what version) i bought for 25 bux, fixed the input jack and used it for about 6 years...then flipped it for 220$ !!!!

bought a distortion generator and never used it. it worked fine though, bought for 10$, sold for 80$!

Rockman stuff definitely has a unique sound to it. I owned a sustainer and distortion generator, couldn't really sound like anything but Boston IMO, these are one of the few things I've ever got rid of, wish I still had them.

One semi-recent Tom Scholz interview or another, they asked him if he was ever going to reissue any of this stuff and I believe he said that Dunlop owns the rights to all of it now, and he said it may be at some point.

PurposeToMelody":5hd6vcab said:
THE Boston sound (if you're interested)

Well, here are a couple of links to help you get started...
Rockman-Gearup.com
Rockmancentral.com
Rockman.fr

This topic is a little stale, but I have an update for it. The rockman.fr web site is alive and well, though rockmancentral.com seems to have died. I'm working on rebooting the rockman-gearup.com forum. The domain transfer isn't complete, but the new forum is up and running. For now it's running under one of my domains:

http://rockman.rbcarleton.com/

If you are looking for a hyper-focused Rockman forum, this is the place.

Best,

--Bruce

TrueTone500 said:
The Rockman... When you just have to have that grotesquely polished, overly compressed 1980's sound! :LOL: :LOL:
/quote]

As opposed to the too tight, overly sterile tones of today ;)

I still want a PGE :D

Back