Wolf Hoffman's 200 Watt JCM 800

eric_kv2

I saw this over on HCAF. Looks cool.

amp.jpg

Do you think it was made to run in stereo with 100/100, but with only one set of controls or do you think it was 200W total? I'm thinking 200 watts total by the looks of it. Its still a pretty cool amp.

I'd rather have a 50 or 25 watt JCM 800. as in, get one and half the wattage, not double! Each to thier own though. :LOL: :LOL:

If i remember correctly, that was modded by Lee Jackson and Dave's right... it has 2 output transformers. Notice on the right, there is a 2nd impedance selector.

I think Dave, the admin at dinosaurrockguitar.com owns that amp now--or he did at one point.

Yes. I own this amp now, and I use it for recording quite frequently. Since the photos were being pulled from my site, (whoever) should have pulled the description as well.

Here's Wolf's description of it:

This is a Marshall amp that was built/modified for me by the German Amp tuner Baldringer. It is based on a JCM 800 model and totally custom made to my specifications. There is a tuned pre-amp section that has a Volume and a Distortion control. Then, instead of just the normal mono power amp section, it has a complete additional power amp section built in. So there is a total of 8 EL 34 tubes and two output transformers! It's a beast! Additionally there are send / return left / return right jacks with trim pots. Great for stereo effects. This baby is heavy (literally and figuratively) and has simply incredible power. I used it for one tour (Death Row) and performed flawlessly. I ran two Marshall cabinets on each side of the stage (for a total of four) with it. If you want to hear what it sounds like just check out the “Death Row” or “The Final Chapter” albums. If you ever thought of running a stereo guitar setup this is one serious amp! One word of caution, however. Since this a true stereo amp, you must connect at least one speaker on each side at all times.

So it is basically two full100 watt poweramp sections in one head, sharing the same preamp circuitry, and stereo outputs. The sound is like the best modded Marshall you ever heard -- in stereo! I would add that the master volume section isn't like the typical Marshall's. More like an attenuator. Hoffmann designed it so that it would get the same great sound at lower volumes too.

Dinosaur David B.":2jre0239 said:
Yes. I own this amp now, and I use it for recording quite frequently. Since the photos were being pulled from my site, (whoever) should have pulled the description as well.

This is a Marshall amp that was built/modified for me by the German Amp tuner Baldringer. It is based on a JCM 800 model and totally custom made to my specifications. There is a tuned pre-amp section that has a Volume and a Distortion control. Then, instead of just the normal mono power amp section, it has a complete additional power amp section built in. So there is a total of 8 EL 34 tubes and two output transformers! It's a beast! Additionally there are send / return left / return right jacks with trim pots. Great for stereo effects. This baby is heavy (literally and figuratively) and has simply incredible power. I used it for one tour (Death Row) and performed flawlessly. I ran two Marshall cabinets on each side of the stage (for a total of four) with it. If you want to hear what it sounds like just check out the “Death Row” or “The Final Chapter” albums. If you ever thought of running a stereo guitar setup this is one serious amp! One word of caution, however. Since this a true stereo amp, you must connect at least one speaker on each side at all times.

So it is basically two full100 watt poweramp sections in one head, sharing the same preamp circuitry, and stereo outputs. The sound is like the best modded Marshall you ever heard -- in stereo! I would add that the master volume section isn't like the typical Marshall's. More like an attenuator. Hoffmann designed it so that it would get the same great sound at lower volumes too.

Hi Dave.

MrDan666":3srgegzv said:
If i remember correctly, that was modded by Lee Jackson and Dave's right... it has 2 output transformers. Notice on the right, there is a 2nd impedance selector.

Thank god it is not a Lee Jackson. I almost bought some EMGs for my flying V to play with my LJ mod. :LOL: :LOL:

Dinosaur David B.":8dhp1x73 said:

In addition to that post I like to add that Dirk Baldringer still is one of the most populare
Marshall modders in germany, has designed the Hughes&Kettner Duotone head

265042.jpg

and his own developed
and self produced Baldringer Dual Drive is considered as the best solid state Overdrive Pedal ever. :)

7adc5c6908.jpg

Strat+Marshall":xcpoqnhv said:
MrDan666":xcpoqnhv said:

Thank god it is not a Lee Jackson. I almost bought some EMGs for my flying V to play with my LJ mod. :LOL: :LOL:

Haha!! :D I stand corrected, i always thought it was Lee Jackson for some reason.. Good to hear the real info about the amp :) :rock:

no worries, mbarn
Just hate to see confusion over what the amp is considering the description of exactly what it is lives on the same page as the photos.

Back