Weber's H30 speaker with pre rola dope is fabulous...

Meathead

I put a Weber c1230 with the pre rola dope treatment in a Peters Polaris 1x12 combo.
Wow! I love this amp...I love this speaker! :thumbsup:

So I've been getting kinda tired of the GB Reissues... I was thinking about Webers actually.

Vrad":1ns4iojd said:
So I've been getting kinda tired of the GB Reissues... I was thinking about Webers actually.
Great speaker Vlad, try it!
I've done 5 gigs with the amp cranked up and the highs have smoothed out, the speaker is near broken in...I'll try recording the band tonight through the main mixing board. I'm also using a Sennheiser e906 mic which I'm really digging as a change from an SM57. It's picky on finding the sweet spot, but when you find it (roughly the inside of the cone next to the dust cap) it sounds great....really captures the thick mids.
I can turn the mids on the amp up more with the Weber compared to the Celestion H30, the amp sings much more...has a killer mid grind and sweeter highs compared to the Celestions I've had in there...Vintage 30, Greenback RI, Heritage Greenback, Ann H30.

can't wait to try my weber SA12H75 (the 1230 made for scumback) :rock:
I was planning to buy the weber version, but this was so cheap that I couldn't let it pass :D
don't know the specs differences, though

Randy Van Sykes":tshi341i said:
Vrad":tshi341i said:
I've done 5 gigs with the amp cranked up and the highs have smoothed out, the speaker is near broken in...I'll try recording the band tonight through the main mixing board. I'm also using a Sennheiser e906 mic which I'm really digging as a change from an SM57. It's picky on finding the sweet spot, but when you find it (roughly the inside of the cone next to the dust cap) it sounds great....really captures the thick mids.
I can turn the mids on the amp up more with the Weber compared to the Celestion H30, the amp sings much more...has a killer mid grind and sweeter highs compared to the Celestions I've had in there...Vintage 30, Greenback RI, Heritage Greenback, Ann H30.

Yeah! Make me a clip!
Speaking of 906, I've thought about getting that mic. I heard the 906 is WAYYY better than the 609 which I can't freaking stand! LOL! :D

ericsabbath":vqoczhk4 said:
can't wait to try my weber SA12H75 (the 1230 made for scumback) :rock:
I was planning to buy the weber version, but this was so cheap that I couldn't let it pass :D
don't know the specs differences, though
Good luck the Weber is fantastic. I'd like a high wattage version of this speaker voicing, I'm hoping the 100 watt Scumback H75 will be nice.

Adam: it's about time you ditched that "Anniversary" G12H30 for a Weber. :)

Vlad: the Silver Bell sounds a lot like an older (or Heritage) greenback but with smoother top end yet. I use the 50W ceramic version, light doping. (Beyond the 50W, they use a different voice coil material that doesn't sound as vintage for its response, so keep that in mind.) I haven't used the 1225 and I'm curious about it, but I'm so happy with the Silver Bell that I don't think I'll bother. Also I like the fact I can blast this 4x12 with the 50W-rated Silver Bell more than I would with the 1225.

My second 4x12 has the Weber 12V. They sound neither quite like the Chinese nor the UK versions (which are still made for Mesa, Orange and some others). They sound more dynamic than the Chinese version, about as warm as the UK version but less cloudy / more "open" and articulate. So basically, it's my favorite V30-flavor of speaker I've ever used.

I've also used and still own a quad of Blue Dogs (ceramic, 50W). I got them for some "chime" with my amps and realized for heavy metal overdrive it got overbearing, so they're going to be used for a dedicated Halo amp I'm building myself soon. These are the first Webers I bought, and because of that I got the others shortly afterwards, so even though I'm not using the Blue Dog at the moment, they made such an impression on me that I had to buy more Weber speakers.

These are all superb sounding speakers. They remind me of older Celestions in general, right out of the box. They're very articulate/responsive/dynamic, and by that I don't mean that they sound SUPER SUPER TIGHT NO MATTER WHAT YOU PLAY, RAWR!!!*, I mean they respond dynamically to the subtleties of a person's playing (better than most speakers). After a bit of break-in they shine at higher volumes.

(*I felt I had to mention this, since some people think articulate/responsive in this context means "super focused metal attack sound 100% of the time", or that dynamic means strictly "the amp gets louder when you hit the strings harder". That's not to say these speakers don't sound good for metal, just that they sound more like vintage Celestions and less like modern Eminence, for example.)

After my Halo is built I'm going to have three cabs here, so I'm hesitant to get more Webers, but I really want to hear the 1265 at least. Based on what I hear from these Webers, the 1265 holds promise of my getting another 4x12 to load them into...

So, why did I "suddenly" get Weber speakers after all this time? Well...what held me back from trying Webers was mostly the reviews. They came mostly from 1) people who replaced the stock speaker in a 1x12 Peavey Classic 30 (and other amps in that price range with mediocre speakers, for which many other speakers would also be considered preferable to the stock ones), or 2) people who expected the speakers to sound 100% identical to the speaker they were based on (which I neither find reasonable, nor care about since the Webers in some ways are improved in my opinion). I saw no reviews anywhere of people saying "I put them in my 4x12" (or 2x12) "and they're great with my (insert overdrive amp here)". I might have seen one review like that, but all it said was "I like them". Wow, thanks a lot for the review guy! Totally worth your posting it! :) Now after having used several of their speakers with many amps, cabs, guitars, pickups, etc. I can honestly say I'd recommend them to most people. I feel I've missed out on these for years, their having been right under my nose, while people have obsessed in circles on the forums about various other speakers (which are good of course, but didn't do it for me nearly as well as these).

Vrad":1qsvscgf said:
Randy Van Sykes":1qsvscgf said:
Vrad":1qsvscgf said:

Yeah! Make me a clip!
Speaking of 906, I've thought about getting that mic. I heard the 906 is WAYYY better than the 609 which I can't freaking stand! LOL! :D
Not sure how the board recording will sound, I'm side washing the amp so it can be put in the mains well...might be all vocals and guitar, no drums and bass, we'll see, if it sucks I ain't posting it. :D
I didn't like the 609 either...at all. I like the e906 more than the old 409 that I have... it's a nice mic.

Randy Van Sykes":1ehvcue3 said:
Vrad":1ehvcue3 said:
Randy Van Sykes":1ehvcue3 said:
Vrad":1ehvcue3 said:

Yeah! Make me a clip!
Not sure how the board recording will sound, I'm side washing the amp so it can be put in the mains well...might be all vocals and guitar, no drums and bass, we'll see, if it sucks I ain't posting it. :D
I didn't like the 609 either...at all. I like the e906 more than the old 409 that I have... it's a nice mic.
I'm sure it won't suck... I've never heard a clip from you that sucked.. .it's probably unpossible!
One of these days I'll pick up a 906 to try out..

James, the Weber c1230 is a huge improvement (for me) over the Ann H30.
I've been buying Webers since the 90's, but I've forgotten about them.
In 1999 I had two Silver Bells in my old English Vox AC30 and they are really great speakers (although at loud volumes I was getting some ghost notes, I should have had them doped more. I like the pre rola doping treatment for loud playing. I'm getting no ghost notes/come cry with the c1230 cranked up.
I then replaced the speaker in my Pro Jr with a Weber P10R, and that made that amp sound great.
For me it, seems once I've put in a Weber that's been it...it just stays and I quite trying other speakers...love the vintage voicing of them, great speakers that don't get a lot of praise. It is hard to find good, well thought out reviews on them.
I searched for reviews on the the c1230 with the pre rola dope treatment before I bought it and basically found nothing.

Vrad":1w1fxcxu said:
I'm sure it won't suck... I've never heard a clip from you that sucked.. .it's probably unpossible!
Well we shall see...it is very possible since I'm not at the controls of the mixer. :D

I can't stand when I walk up to the front-of-house mixer and the soundman has done drastic eq/comp to my guitar channel strip...Dude flatten that out right now! There is no way you need to add that much eq/crap to my guitar tone! :doh:

JamesPeters":3akczaqi said:
Adam: it's about time you ditched that "Anniversary" G12H30 for a Weber. :)

Vlad: the Silver Bell sounds a lot like an older (or Heritage) greenback but with smoother top end yet. I use the 50W ceramic version, light doping. (Beyond the 50W, they use a different voice coil material that doesn't sound as vintage for its response, so keep that in mind.) I haven't used the 1225 and I'm curious about it, but I'm so happy with the Silver Bell that I don't think I'll bother. Also I like the fact I can blast this 4x12 with the 50W-rated Silver Bell more than I would with the 1225.

My second 4x12 has the Weber 12V. They sound neither quite like the Chinese nor the UK versions (which are still made for Mesa, Orange and some others). They sound more dynamic than the Chinese version, about as warm as the UK version but less cloudy / more "open" and articulate. So basically, it's my favorite V30-flavor of speaker I've ever used.

I've also used and still own a quad of Blue Dogs (ceramic, 50W). I got them for some "chime" with my amps and realized for heavy metal overdrive it got overbearing, so they're going to be used for a dedicated Halo amp I'm building myself soon. These are the first Webers I bought, and because of that I got the others shortly afterwards, so even though I'm not using the Blue Dog at the moment, they made such an impression on me that I had to buy more Weber speakers.

These are all superb sounding speakers. They remind me of older Celestions in general, right out of the box. They're very articulate/responsive/dynamic, and by that I don't mean that they sound SUPER SUPER TIGHT NO MATTER WHAT YOU PLAY, RAWR!!!*, I mean they respond dynamically to the subtleties of a person's playing (better than most speakers). After a bit of break-in they shine at higher volumes.

(*I felt I had to mention this, since some people think articulate/responsive in this context means "super focused metal attack sound 100% of the time", or that dynamic means strictly "the amp gets louder when you hit the strings harder". That's not to say these speakers don't sound good for metal, just that they sound more like vintage Celestions and less like modern Eminence, for example.)

After my Halo is built I'm going to have three cabs here, so I'm hesitant to get more Webers, but I really want to hear the 1265 at least. Based on what I hear from these Webers, the 1265 holds promise of my getting another 4x12 to load them into...

So, why did I "suddenly" get Weber speakers after all this time? Well...what held me back from trying Webers was mostly the reviews. They came mostly from 1) people who replaced the stock speaker in a 1x12 Peavey Classic 30 (and other amps in that price range with mediocre speakers, for which many other speakers would also be considered preferable to the stock ones), or 2) people who expected the speakers to sound 100% identical to the speaker they were based on (which I neither find reasonable, nor care about since the Webers in some ways are improved in my opinion). I saw no reviews anywhere of people saying "I put them in my 4x12" (or 2x12) "and they're great with my (insert overdrive amp here)". I might have seen one review like that, but all it said was "I like them". Wow, thanks a lot for the review guy! Totally worth your posting it! :) Now after having used several of their speakers with many amps, cabs, guitars, pickups, etc. I can honestly say I'd recommend them to most people. I feel I've missed out on these for years, their having been right under my nose, while people have obsessed in circles on the forums about various other speakers (which are good of course, but didn't do it for me nearly as well as these).
James, the Weber 65's are terrific!
Shreder75 has 2 in his Splawn 2x12 and that cab sounds HUGE. Very big low-end, pleasant mids and highs. Great all-around speaker.

Randy Van Sykes":55qa0lwq said:
Vrad":55qa0lwq said:
Well we shall see...it is very possible since I'm not at the controls of the mixer. :D

I can't stand when I walk up to the front-of-house mixer and the soundman has done drastic eq/comp to my guitar channel strip...Dude flatten that out right now! There is no way you need to add that much eq/crap to my guitar tone! :doh:

LOL! :D
I HATE EQ. Never use it on anything. Maybe I can't dial it or something, but it makes everything sound exaggerated and artificial. I just like a little compression on the overall mix to hold everything together.

I may have to post reviews of the Webers on my site, help spread the word that they're not only good as replacements for mediocre stock speakers in inexpensive combos.

Also GFS pickup reviews while I'm at it. People only seem to buy them because they're inexpensive, so the reviews aren't very in-depth (people don't have a lot of experience with other pickups) or they're making clips of them with odd gear or really bad settings (n00bs, people who can only afford inexpensive stuff that doesn't sound good, etc.) I just got some Crunchy Rails for instance, and by the reviews/clips I'd have figured this pickup was garbage. Not so. (The same could be said of several others of theirs I've tried.)

It's also tiring to hear "for the money, they're good". Ok..."for the money", I'll spend up to 10x as much on a pickup because it's still inexpensive compared to the rest of my gear, if it sounds better to me (and I have). Or, 2x-3x as much for a speaker. I like these pickups and speakers as much as any of my favorites I've ever used, yet very few people review them on their own merits because they're not the most expensive in their classes.

Thanks for the note about the 1265s, Vlad. Great. Now I have to buy more speakers. :doh:

JamesPeters":rfp3esnf said:
I may have to post reviews of the Webers on my site, help spread the word that they're not only good as replacements for mediocre stock speakers in inexpensive combos.

Also GFS pickup reviews while I'm at it. People only seem to buy them because they're inexpensive, so the reviews aren't very in-depth (people don't have a lot of experience with other pickups) or they're making clips of them with odd gear or really bad settings (n00bs, people who can only afford inexpensive stuff that doesn't sound good, etc.) I just got some Crunchy Rails for instance, and by the reviews/clips I'd have figured this pickup was garbage. Not so. (The same could be said of several others of theirs I've tried.)

It's also tiring to hear "for the money, they're good". Ok..."for the money", I'll spend up to 10x as much on a pickup because it's still inexpensive compared to the rest of my gear, if it sounds better to me (and I have). Or, 2x-3x as much for a speaker. I like these pickups and speakers as much as any of my favorites I've ever used, yet very few people review them on their own merits because they're not the most expensive in their classes.

Thanks for the note about the 1265s, Vlad. Great. Now I have to buy more speakers. :doh:
HAHAHAH!! Yeah the "For the money..." thing is retardedly overused. I interpret that as "It sounds terrific, but I can't let myself like it because it's not boutique!"

The only thing about the 65's is that I don't know what options are on them. Shreder got them 2nd hand from someone and doesn't know the doping specs etc...

Vrad":ko7a6ugs said:
HAHAHAH!! Yeah the "For the money..." thing is retardedly overused. I interpret that as "It sounds terrific, but I can't let myself like it because it's not boutique!"

The only thing about the 65's is that I don't know what options are on them. Shreder got them 2nd hand from someone and doesn't know the doping specs etc...
The 65 will have less highs than the 1230 due to the larger dust cap. If he takes one out you can tell how much dope is on them just by looking. The pre rola treatment is a lot of dope. It's not just on the surrounding accordion, it goes on the cone as well on the outer and inner parts. If you are gigging and cranking up loud I recommend it, for home playing that's not very loud, it's not really needed as much. It's to keep the cone more in control at loud volumes and stop cone cry.

Weber actually recommends not to bother with the pre rola doping for mostly low volume playing, it could make the speaker sound better for low volume playing to have it less restricted from doping.

JamesPeters":94emdmv9 said:

Man, most people don't know what they want or what sounds good to them.
The cost of something usually has impact on how good the review is eh?

Randy Van Sykes":1dknqxqi said:
Vrad":1dknqxqi said:

The 65 will have less highs than the 1230 due to the larger dust cap. If he takes one out you can tell how much dope is on them just by looking. The pre rola treatment is a lot of dope. It's not just on the surrounding accordion, it goes on the cone as well on the outer and inner parts. If you are gigging and cranking up loud I recommend it, for home playing that's not very loud, it's not really needed as much. It's to keep the cone more in control at loud volumes and stop cone cry.

Weber actually recommends not to bother with the pre rola doping for mostly low volume playing, it could make the speaker sound better for low volume playing to have it less restricted from doping.
That's interesting...
Maybe some light doping would be perfect then.

Vrad":bpbisw1f said:
Randy Van Sykes":bpbisw1f said:
Vrad":bpbisw1f said:

That's interesting...
How about that...a company that actually talks you out of spending more money on additives. :thumbsup:

Imagine calling Celestion and asking for something more specific to be done to your speaker you are about to purchase from them. :D

When I first bought speakers from Ted in 1999 we emailed back and forth quite a bit, I was unsure seeing as nobody I knew had a Weber speaker, he was pretty unheard of. I would describe what I liked and he would recommend what I needed. Ted was a great guy and very honest and helpful...he wanted to deliver a great product from my experience, nothing else.

Randy Van Sykes":3jlbg8lp said:
Vrad":3jlbg8lp said:
Randy Van Sykes":3jlbg8lp said:
Vrad":3jlbg8lp said:

That's interesting...
How about that...a company that actually talks you out of spending more money on additives. :thumbsup:

Imagine calling Celestion and asking for something more specific to be done to your speaker you are about to purchase from them. :D

When I first bought speakers from Ted in 1999 we emailed back and forth quite a bit, I was unsure seeing as nobody I knew had a Weber speaker, he was pretty unheard of. I would describe what I liked and he would recommend what I needed. Ted was a great guy and very honest and helpful...he wanted to deliver a great product from my experience, nothing else.
I know right? Novel idea.
I think it's because he's not catering to n00bs...

Back