been waiting FOREVER for someone around here to post (EVH)

FUZZboat

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6177959

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6177155

been waiting FOREVER for someone around here to post this :doh: :doh: :doh:

guess their isn't any EVH fans on the board :LOL: :LOL:

IMHO rgalpin a 100% freaking genious and a class act for posting this :thumbsup:

If I was rgalpin and discovered that tone I would have been running down the street naked screaming "Eureka, I found it !!"

Its so simple Bassman -> Marshall Plexi + Variac

Its clear to me now - I can just imagine young EVH walking into Jose's shop and Jose showing him the neat tricks he invented

1.using the bassman as a preamp
2. variac-ing a marshall on "10"

I'll bet EVH said to him self what if I "Bassman -> Marshall Plexi + Variac" - and the rest is history as they say

as far as EVH and his "blowing trannies" comment, it makes perfect sense, using a bassman like this will fry the OT !

eventually, EHV used a plexi with 6550's - he had to because the EL34's probably sounded constipated with the bassman driving them - I remember even Mark Cameron said he needs to use 6550's to do the EVH tone "right"

there you have it EVH's Tone Is 100% Stock Amps !!- aside from a plexi modded for 6550's

If your old enough think back to the music of 1977-78, noone else had this tone back in 1978 - how did eddie do it ?

stock bassman & Plexi - go figure :m17:

crwnedblasphemy":1pnfo8q8 said:
He should throw some reverb on that one side quick.

Its from a year or two old post I came across at metroamps

I about shit myself the 1st time I heard it :D

and then it all made sense - what else did eddie have available to him back then ?

so EVH din't lie when he said his amps were stock !

yeah, some reverb/phase and al ittle studio magic = VH1 & VHII

i was listening to VH I and II on my flight home sat., cranked on my senheiser isolation headphones and was sorta trying to identify why his tone is so unique, and what components of his tone i think i'm hearing.

the pickup sounds twangy and low output, and the fretboard sounds sparkly maple. that's as far as i go with the axe.

one major component that might be uniquely his is the cranked power section sound. you can hear the power tubes compressing, and providing the wallop, particularly on the lower end of his sound, but if you've never experimented with this approach i don't think you wouldn't really be able to pick it out within his tone. this setup allows you to preserve the dynamics on the front end of the amp without tons of distortion.

his tone kind of pumps ever so slightly if you listen carefully, as the attack of the notes and chords sorta explode/bloom to life, then the power tube loads and slams to it's limit, and the tone evens out and sustains endlessly, from chords to single notes, but when he cuts off the notes or chords, it sorta chomps shut just as dynamically, as a result of this setup.

there is also a hint of pedal type edge and crackling energy to the sound---maybe eq, maybe phase 90... and my experience with this type of rig is that the pedals up front are more to shape the envelope of the attack and fill out the sustainy touch sensitivity, instead of just adding gain.

if i were to take any drive pedal and set it the way i do for a clean amp, and use it set that way in front of the VH type rig, it would be a noisy out of control mess. i looked for a quiet pedal that boosted the proper frequencies...to bring out a bit of that clinky chirpy treble and fat mids. the speakers and cab add the last element of the dry sound, filtering out the harshness and bringing the cab resonance instead of adding bass on the head, which is such a cleaner sound and better to record.

finally, the fatness of the channel pre, holding power of the limiter, and hard panning and use of effects helped preserve the tone and add that spaciousness without phasing out in typical stereo milkiness. i can't imagine the echoplex was out in front...that would seem to be too noisy...
i'm banking on him loading down amp #1, running line out to the echoplex, maybe two, one set short to fatten and add ambience on his overall quasi dry sound, and a second to provide the real distance and space panned to the right, and reverbed.

that's my best shot based on my experience.

Congratulations, you've single handedly killed the Tone is in the fingers argument ! Thats not EVH playing, but it is THE tone. Granted, I can hear a 2 or 3 % difference from the original, but the difference is in the recording IMO. Transport that Fender/Marshall/variac rig to 1978, in the same studio Van Halen recorded at, and it is nailed, 100 %.

I'm not sure this proves EVH used a Bassman on the VH1 recording, as I firmly believe there's always more than one way to skin a cat. But this does prove that anybody, with the right (not necessarily the same) gear as EVH, can get the VH1 tone. The Eruption clip was not played particularly well, but still, the tone is there. With that I say :

Tone is in the Gear, Skill is in the Fingers :LOL: :LOL:

mentoneman":3tz0g042 said:
i was listening to VH I and II on my flight home sat., cranked on my senheiser isolation headphones and was sorta trying to identify why his tone is so unique, and what components of his tone i think i'm hearing.

the pickup sounds twangy and low output, and the fretboard sounds sparkly maple. that's as far as i go with the axe.

one major component that might be uniquely his is the cranked power section sound. you can hear the power tubes compressing, and providing the wallop, particularly on the lower end of his sound, but if you've never experimented with this approach i don't think you wouldn't really be able to pick it out within his tone. this setup allows you to preserve the dynamics on the front end of the amp without tons of distortion.

his tone kind of pumps ever so slightly if you listen carefully, as the attack of the notes and chords sorta explode/bloom to life, then the power tube loads and slams to it's limit, and the tone evens out and sustains endlessly, from chords to single notes, but when he cuts off the notes or chords, it sorta chomps shut just as dynamically, as a result of this setup.

there is also a hint of pedal type edge and crackling energy to the sound---maybe eq, maybe phase 90... and my experience with this type of rig is that the pedals up front are more to shape the envelope of the attack and fill out the sustainy touch sensitivity, instead of just adding gain.

if i were to take any drive pedal and set it the way i do for a clean amp, and use it set that way in front of the VH type rig, it would be a noisy out of control mess. i looked for a quiet pedal that boosted the proper frequencies...to bring out a bit of that clinky chirpy treble and fat mids. the speakers and cab add the last element of the dry sound, filtering out the harshness and bringing the cab resonance instead of adding bass on the head, which is such a cleaner sound and better to record.

finally, the fatness of the channel pre, holding power of the limiter, and hard panning and use of effects helped preserve the tone and add that spaciousness without phasing out in typical stereo milkiness. i can't imagine the echoplex was out in front...that would seem to be too noisy...
i'm banking on him loading down amp #1, running line out to the echoplex, maybe two, one set short to fatten and add ambience on his overall quasi dry sound, and a second to provide the real distance and space panned to the right, and reverbed.

that's my best shot based on my experience.

well thought out !

I look at it chronologically

before EVH hit the scene, the tones everyone was trying cop were Hendrix & Clapton

noone even came close to that tone back in 1978

I don't think EVH put anywhere near the thought you did into his tone - he got lucky with the bassman -> plexi setup and his tone evolved from there

maybe he used EL34's in the plexi for VH1 then moved onto 6550's for VHII which acount for the change in tone between the 2 (maybe he also used different cabs again changed the tone)

I'm thinking by the time he did W&C 1st he was using the palmer to load down the bassman as a way to stop blowing the OT's -

(NOTE: rgalpin is running his bassman directly out of the secondary output (ie just a cord) and NO SPEAKER ATTACHED ANYWHERE ! -
its an old california studio trick)

Now that EVH was using the full output of the bassman via the palmer it changed the tone - which IMHO is the setup he was using for W&C, Diver Down and 1984

again I don't think EVH put much thought into it - his original setup just evolved overtime with help from all the techs he encountered & the producers polished it up.

EVH back then was too busy getting drunk & laid just like any kid in his shoes would

Motorpud":3ghg2edf said:
Wow, that's the closest I've ever heard anyone get, and it seems like everyone tries :LOL: :LOL:

I don't think he just tried

I think rgalpin nailed it !

like thegame said

The Eruption clip was not played particularly well, but still, the tone is there. With that I say :

thegame said:
Congratulations, you've single handedly killed the Tone is in the fingers argument ! Thats not EVH playing, but it is THE tone. Granted, I can hear a 2 or 3 % difference from the original, but the difference is in the recording IMO. Transport that Fender/Marshall/variac rig to 1978, in the same studio Van Halen recorded at, and it is nailed, 100 %.

I'm not sure this proves EVH used a Bassman on the VH1 recording, as I firmly believe there's always more than one way to skin a cat. But this does prove that anybody, with the right (not necessarily the same) gear as EVH, can get the VH1 tone. quote]

yeah that clip kinda poops all over the "fingers" argument :D

I also agree with skinin' the ole cat - I'm buying a Bman for my RM4 and running it into my splawn modded marshall for giggles sake

again with this":1qn8bmxq said:
I have never been one to chase the EVH tone, but that's the closest I have heard. :rock:

same here

heard lots of clips of the years and its like "goldilocks & the 3 bears"

this ones too hot and this ones too cold

I think this clip is just right !

I don't know. It sounds kind of ratty and congested compared to the original. Interesting that setup gets that close though.

Rogue":2e25bou8 said:
I don't know. It sounds kind of ratty and congested compared to the original. Interesting that setup gets that close though.

supersoak one of the channels in lexicon verb and that ratty thang will go away.

thegame":1d0rza3c said:

I'm not sure this proves EVH used a Bassman on the VH1 recording, as I firmly believe there's always more than one way to skin a cat. But this does prove that anybody, with the right (not necessarily the same) gear as EVH, can get the VH1 tone. The Eruption clip was not played particularly well, but still, the tone is there. With that I say :

This.

Back