Axe Fx vs. Line6 Pod HD

I thought the HD sounded better to my ears on everything except the Fireball. Maybe my ears hear dollar signs, too.

daver101":3iozc2n2 said:
I thought the HD sounded better to my ears on everything except the Fireball. Maybe my ears hear dollar signs, too.

+1 You just beat me to it. I thought the POD HD sounded better on all the clips except for the Engl amps.
Axe Fx sounded dark/blanketed and lacking dynamics of the HD.

The Pod holds its own on most clips except the fireball ..The axe does not sound too different it is a deeper sound but with all the eqs in POD with some tweaking I think you could get them closer

you guys really think that? Myself I'm liking what I created with the Axe Fx more. Probably suits my mixing a lot better.

Ola Englund":222szpvs said:
you guys really think that? Myself I'm liking what I created with the Axe Fx more. Probably suits my mixing a lot better.

Ok, I listened for a third or fourth time now to make sure :LOL: :LOL:

Just the Recto clip alone with the HD has more definition and dynamics than the Axe Fx Recto clip to me. Seriously. I don't want to bash the Axe but it doesn't sound nearly as good as the Pod HD to me :no:

Super Baby! Powerful enough to send sock flying off the table!!:boxer:

To my ears the Axe-fx clips sounded closer to what the actual raw amp tones sound like. The HD sounded like it had a deeper eq happening and for the most part sounded pretty good. I think the both would sound pretty good in a mix, but the rawness of the Axe might sit a bit better.

daver101":24ps8ous said:

I agree 100%...saved me from typing it... :D

I didn't like your clips in the other thread, but here they sound good. And better than the Axe. Could you do some Vox and Marshall comparisons?

glassjaw7":212c900b said:
To my ears the Axe-fx clips sounded closer to what the actual raw amp tones sound like. The HD sounded like it had a deeper eq happening and for the most part sounded pretty good. I think the both would sound pretty good in a mix, but the rawness of the Axe might sit a bit better.
I agree

Comparing cost the HD is a deal but I think I would only use the effects part of it. To me it is the upgrade to the M13 I was waiting for using up to 8 effects at a time as opposed to only 4 at a time. Even just for the effects it would be worth it and the exp pedal is built in so no trying to get a Boss FV500 pedal to sync up correctly with it. The Hd has a lot of cool features and has USB. This does give someone a lower cost unit to start with if they cant afford an Axe which I think is a great idea, even if it is a stepping stone for them towards the Axe.

The Axe sounds much better to me but is 3 times the cost but I really dont think these 2 units should be compared against each other as its like comparing Apple to Oranges. Now just add USB to the Ultra :gethim:

There will always be people that dont like one or the other or either and put processors down, I would prefer to have every amp I gas for but I would need a warehouse just for that not including effects. I didnt want to like Processors but have given in. With all the advancements that have been done and it is only going to get better, it makes it easy to have all those amps and effect you always wanted.

glassjaw7":1pfegioo said:
To my ears the Axe-fx clips sounded closer to what the actual raw amp tones sound like.

This. I think preferring the brighter POD tones is a matter of taste, but the "darker" Uber tone of the Axe Fx seems closer to the real thing imo, whereas with the POD the Uber sounds just like Recto eq-ed differently.

After reading the youtube video description I think I may be mistaken. Both units are direct.

Either way, I didn't like any of the patches, they all sounded very untubey to me. The axefx sounds like the power amp sim is off or vey "low".

it really hard to tell at least for me for that type of music they both sound like any tone you could pull out of a ss Randall to be honest.
Where I can really tell is the cleans midgain and rythm crunch and hi gain .the clean clips .Some of the clean HD clips on TGP have been good I have yet to hear a Higain rythm sound that would rival the axe though

loudgtr":11pb1v5k said:
daver101":11pb1v5k said:

+1 You just beat me to it. I thought the POD HD sounded better on all the clips except for the Engl amps.
Axe Fx sounded dark/blanketed and lacking dynamics of the HD.
How could you possibly comment on dynamics based on those clips??? There's absolutely nothing going on there to even hint at either units dynamics. :confused:

Back