P90 Pickups

Thanks for the help guys. Really helps explain what I should be expecting. Definitely going to try one out, probably pick up a SG Classic with P-90s.

I'll also look into replacing the stock pups with lollars. :thumbsup:

The P90s are def the sound of classic rock and def blues tone, go to the local GC and try the new Gibson Studio 50s tribute with P90s, seem to be great guitars with a low price, the new Specials with neck binding might be a great alt to the SG, That being said I had the chance to play a 64 SG special with the dog-ear surface mount P90 and it was absolutely amazing, incredible sustain and tone and actually pretty versatile for a single pickup guitar with just changing the vol knob and tone knob. Def agree with the others, they are not for high gain.

I have a set of Phat Cat P90 (humbucker sized) in my LP and I love the sound so much!

P90's are technically a single coil pickup but I like to think of them of as somewhere in between the sound of a humbucker and a single coil.

The P90 is great for classic rock and blues stuff but I also find them to be quite a versatile pickup when you use your tone and volume controls on the guitar. :rock:

If you aren't convinced about the Phat Cat's, check out how they sound here: Seymour Duncan Phat Cat Review

les-paul-phat-cat.png

I rocked a P90 Les Paul for a few years. Would love to get a Jr. again. They most certainly do high gain. Not the best clip, but here is my P90 LP through an EVH 5150 III. Its a very mids forward pickup. Very cool growl to it.

SFW":1b7ekqtm said:
I rocked a P90 Les Paul for a few years. Would love to get a Jr. again. They most certainly do high gain. Not the best clip, but here is my P90 LP through an EVH 5150 III. Its a very mids forward pickup. Very cool growl to it.

that sounds rippin'!

to the OP - The SG classic is a rock N Roll machine! Yeah, big neck though so if that's not your thing I'd look elsewhere.

I just picked up a 2015 LP Jr that has a P90 with Alnico slugs. That P90 is amazing sounding. I don't play with much more gain than say, Maiden or Priest, and it does that in spades. Very wide neck, but very slim as well. With enough meat on the shoulders to keep my hand from aching. Most wide thin necks make my hand ache these days.

The LP Jr is my third guitar with P90s. I really dig them. I don't gig them too much though because they can be a bit noisy.

Back